Rant thread

On 31/10/2017 at 12:00 PM, ckn said:

I had to send off a scanned statement today by email.  I've since discovered that Canon has deliberately hobbled their scanning software to not accept my 14 year old scanner from their Windows 10 app, it just seizes after one page of a scan.  The Windows 10 basic Scan app does not do multi-page scans so I had to eventually just scan each page as an image (not a PDF) then Print to PDF to get them in order.

Rant 1: Planned obsolescence.  I use my scanner twice a year at most, it's not going to wear out and will probably last me for another 20 years as long as I can get a USB connection into a machine.  I'm fed up with manufacturers who deliberately shut out their older machines from the latest versions of their software when it's the same sodding TWAIN driver that powers the sodding thing for the latest versions of their sodding scanners.  Canon, you can go fornicate yourself.  Even if I did suck it up and buy a new version, I wouldn't buy one from you.

Rant 2: Windows 10's Print to PDF.  I had 10 scanned images, all consecutively numbered and consecutively selected.  When I hit the Print to PDF option, it randomly stuck them in whatever order it saw fit regardless of what I did, how I named them or how I selected them.  It took an obscure source on t'interweb to tell me that the functionality only works perfectly first time on brand new files in a brand new folder.  So, created a new folder, moved them in one at a time in order and it worked.  I actually experimented with trying to print again from the same unaltered files and it was all in a random idiot order again.  WHY?!  What idiot sort of functional requirements drove the randomisation of picture order with no ability reorder prior to hitting Print?

Remember, computers are "labour saving devices".

Allegedly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

People on internet forums who start a new thread every time a thought comes into their head, without looking to see if an existing thread is already addressing the subject.

Sadly, their very natures means that they will never ever read this comment.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In laws had their car nicked yesterday evening from outside their house, caught on their CCTV although I'd highly doubt clear enough to locate the perpetrator from. Thief walked up to the car, unlocked it and drove off in under a minute. No key stolen, so can only assumed one was copied somehow. ???

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

3 hours ago, gazza77 said:

In laws had their car nicked yesterday evening from outside their house, caught on their CCTV although I'd highly doubt clear enough to locate the perpetrator from. Thief walked up to the car, unlocked it and drove off in under a minute. No key stolen, so can only assumed one was copied somehow. ???

Was it a keyless entry one?  They’re often scarily easy to copy by simply walking up to your house and copying the signal.

Alternatively, if it’s not, the crooks could have jammed the signal stopping your in laws locking it. Someone tried that with me a few years ago, I was parking in a street in central London and I simply couldn’t lock my car from normal range. I had to get right up to the thing to lock it so the signal was too strong for the hammer.

Once inside an unlocked modern car, cloning a key is a simple job. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

Was it a keyless entry one?  They’re often scarily easy to copy by simply walking up to your house and copying the signal.

Alternatively, if it’s not, the crooks could have jammed the signal stopping your in laws locking it. Someone tried that with me a few years ago, I was parking in a street in central London and I simply couldn’t lock my car from normal range. I had to get right up to the thing to lock it so the signal was too strong for the hammer.

Once inside an unlocked modern car, cloning a key is a simple job. 

Yes, it was a Disco 4. Makes me think that investing in a physical device in our car may be a prudent investment.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Just now, gazza77 said:

Yes, it was a Disco 4. Makes me think that investing in a physical device in our car may be a prudent investment.

The old-fashioned toughened steel wheel locking bars are a perfect deterrent!  Our neighbours use a bright yellow one on their car wherever they go.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Chop Sticks.

Using them is just pretentious " look at me I can balance a grain of rice on a twig".

2000 years ago it might have been clever to use a wooden stick to save handling food. Then knives, forks and spoons were invented. Its like uninventing the wheel. Something better has come along - move on.

The strange thing is the Chinese are all over modern western technology and yet persist with  two bits of wood to shovel noodles from a bowl. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Managers who won't give somebody a new start at 55 years old - that's what I was told yesterday by one "You're too old to be starting a new career" he said. I have reported him to my Job Centre,

and the ones who say you have no experience - todays request

Why do companies replace perfectly good apps, that are maybe a bit boring but do the job exactly as any frequent user needs, with ones that are prettier but have half the functionality and quality?

Greater Anglia's app for buying mobile tickets, checking train progress/disruptions and account functions went from being a good app that was fast, high quality and allowed me to buy mobile tickets for one of my regular journeys in a few seconds into a slow, plodding tool that was barely functional, required needle-sharp precision on finger clicks (not good for someone with sausage-fingers like me) and no longer allows me to buy mobile tickets.

I think this has been designed for the latest iPhones with the latest hardware as it's damnably slow on my iPhone 6.  IT'S A BLOODY TRAIN TICKET BOOKING APP, IT DOESN'T NEED MORE THAN A BASIC INTERFACE!

I tried to call their hotline to see if there was a problem with how I was using it to get mobile tickets but 30 minutes later I'm still on hold and getting nowhere.  Obviously other people are having the same "fun" with the new app.

I'm off to Norwich today and I'll now need to talk to a human to get a paper ticket.

Oh, and that's another rant.  They replaced their ticket machines at the stations with new, fancy ones when they "upgraded" the station forecourt, they don't take my Co-op bank card.  As I'm a paranoid security nut when it comes to banking, I got a card without the wireless payment functionality, I do wireless payments with my phone with added security, that card works everywhere else around the world that I've used it, except in the stations run by Greater Anglia.  Will they listen?  No.  It must be something with my card they say despite proof that neither my card, nor my wife's which is the same type, work on their machines but I can go to the in-station Starbucks that uses the same in-station network connection and it works.

I finally got through to a very stressed helldesk operator who told me the app was released yesterday but they can't turn on the mobile ticket purchase until tomorrow at the earliest.

Which slack-brained moron of a project manager or senior manager authorised the release of a web app at the weekend before the busiest ticket purchasing day of a week (Monday for those buying weekly season tickets) that doesn't allow people to actually buy the main thing that the app does well?  Going by a few rants I've seen today on Facebook from those I know who commute, queues at the main train stations were "fun" this morning with people queuing to get tickets because they couldn't get the mobile versions.

But (and I felt sorry for the poor guy) I could now pay with PayPal if I chose for the mobile ticket I can't buy.  He was obviously reading marketing scripts that were written by someone who thought the app rollout would go well.

(p.s. for those who don't use them, the mobile tickets are properly web tickets, not the PDF & print ones that some companies do, and are very good things)

Great Anglia, eh?

I had this bit of pleasure on their turf over the summer. Had to get a train from Ely to the smoke. Drove to Ely station. The car park costs the ridiculous price of £5.90. Ridiculous because it doesn't give change, take notes or accept cards. You also can't buy from the station because the new company that owns the car park won't let you (I think it's now NCP whereas before it was whichever BVI operation also owns the station).

So, basically, you either have to use mobile parking (which comes with a service charge), rush over to Tesco and buy something to get the exact change, or pump in £6 and lose 10p.

I was grumpy about it then and I'm still grumpy about it now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Great Anglia, eh?

I had this bit of pleasure on their turf over the summer. Had to get a train from Ely to the smoke. Drove to Ely station. The car park costs the ridiculous price of £5.90. Ridiculous because it doesn't give change, take notes or accept cards. You also can't buy from the station because the new company that owns the car park won't let you (I think it's now NCP whereas before it was whichever BVI operation also owns the station).

So, basically, you either have to use mobile parking (which comes with a service charge), rush over to Tesco and buy something to get the exact change, or pump in £6 and lose 10p.

I was grumpy about it then and I'm still grumpy about it now.

The new and "improved" Ipswich station forecourt is another example of that sort of thing.  They closed the main road outside the station for six weeks (SIX WEEKS?!) to upgrade the entrances and now the main drop-off area is left-turn only meaning a very long detour for those who need to go right when previously it was a good traffic-light controlled exit.  The upgrade has turned a lot of space for vehicles, including about 30 20-minute short-stay spots for people waiting for trains coming in, to one with idiot planned exits, lots of concrete "space" with some concrete seats, a taxi-rank that requires people now to cross bus lanes and no waiting spaces beyond a single double-length car bay. 

It's probably the least disabled-friendly new build I've seen in a long time and that's something I rarely spot with my non-disabled perception bias.  Everything from the disabled spots being permanently full of the same cars each day with no spaces left to the disabled drop-off point being moved from the main entrance to 50m away to removing the high contrast signs and replacing them with "branded" confusing font ones in low-contrast shiny backgrounds.  Even the simple act of removing the single low-height service window in the row of high ones and making them all a uniform (roughly) four and a half foot high service window is just a laugh at people who are disabled, oh and moving the service desks behind really poor doors that are not disabled friendly is a final kicker.

Still hating my Wood Burner.

Why would you replace an open fire with a wood burner?
It's more hassle, it's messier, it's ugly and as for the "they are so much warmer than an open fire" what an absolute crock
"that fire's nice and warm, let's make it better by putting it in a metal box" said no one ever

Edited by Shadow

Just now, Shadow said:

Still hating my Wood Burner.

Why would you replace an open fire with a wood burner?
It's more hassle, it's messier, it's ugly and as for the "they are so much warmer than an open fire" what an absolute crock of . 
"that fire's nice and warm, let's make it better by putting it in a metal box" said no one ever

I got one o' those n'all. I hardly ever use it

Why did we need the micro SIM card? The old SIMs weighed too much? The extra 0.000001mg of plastic was pushing up production costs? It can't be size because, if anything, over the last 10 years phones have got bigger.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:04 AM, Futtocks said:

People on internet forums who start a new thread every time a thought comes into their head, without looking to see if an existing thread is already addressing the subject.

Sadly, their very natures means that they will never ever read this comment.

people on internet forums who are on the same forums so much that they log thread clashes and rant about it - their very natures means they will read this comment within the next 10mins SADLY

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Why did we need the micro SIM card? The old SIMs weighed too much? The extra 0.000001mg of plastic was pushing up production costs? It can't be size because, if anything, over the last 10 years phones have got bigger.

Its not the size of the card... Its the size of the card reader.  Meaning you can cram a bit more heat sink or battery in the phone.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Its not the size of the card... Its the size of the card reader.  Meaning you can cram a bit more heat sink or battery in the phone.  

People who ruin perfectly good rants with facts :tongue:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Shadow said:

People who ruin perfectly good rants with facts :tongue:

A good rant cannot be defeated by mere facts.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!