Rant thread

1 minute ago, ckn said:

The Guardian say it's lunchtime, I heard on the news this morning that it was late morning.

Most publicly listed companies have rules that shareholders get virtually no say in executive remuneration for a set year.

They could always show their discontent by investing more 'ethically'

8m GBP a year for my big lad. 8m GBP! Saw him once in a corridor. ###### shoes.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/irlam-hornets-find-a-new-nest-883825

Anything since? My Beloved Hornets. I would do anything for the first club I played for, and abandoned. 

I played for the Hornets 1980-1987, in the lead up to their promotions. We had a great team spirit, we looked after each other even though we didn't like everyone, we cared for each other in a way I have never seen since. That's why Irlam won. We were a proper band of Brothers. We were Soldiers who were friends.

I miss you Irlam Hornets ARLFC, my band of comrades. RIP

Esky was my name

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/irlam-hornets-find-a-new-nest-883825

Anything since? My Beloved Hornets. I would do anything for the first club I played for, and abandoned. 

I played for the Hornets 1980-1987, in the lead up to their promotions. We had a great team spirit, we looked after each other even though we didn't like everyone, we cared for each other in a way I have never seen since. That's why Irlam won. We were a proper band of Brothers. We were Soldiers who were friends.

I miss you Irlam Hornets ARLFC, my band of comrades. RIP

Esky was my name

I think they made a brief return before “merging” into Salford City Roosters (Eccles). At the time both were struggling at Open Age and made sense to pool their resources 

Another post that will be incomprehensible to most people who don't live on YouTube:

So the biggest drama of the New Year has already landed but it's on a 4-hour Warski stream so I'm not prepared to sit through all that. The guests were Styxhexenhammer666, Richard Spencer, JF Gariepy and Sargon. I guess Spencer is attempting to strike while the iron is hot after Braving Ruin and JF Gariepy declared victory over the Skeptics at the Battle of Kraut and Tea. I might sit through Vee's 30+ minute assessment of his God-mentor Sargon's performance but maybe not. Other channels are cutting excerpts for themselves to critique and I think the Spencer fanboys will do most of the crowing.

Not a Warski fan but I commend Andy for having Spencer on despite all the flak any Skeptic, Centrist or SJW pwnage channel gets for talking to the Alt-Right. Somebody needs to get Spencer to specify in clear detail what his Final Solution is. He's quite comfortable talking about financial incentives for emigration and has suggested giving the untermenschen Florida but I've never heard anyone ask him straight up, "After the emigrations and the voluntary relocations to Florida, what happens to the remaining people?"

Jean Francois Gariepy is also an ethno-nationalist but far more tolerable than Spencer because he is from Quebec. There's a massive difference between retaining the existing ethnic makeup of an area and  Spencer's model, which is effectively ethnically cleansing 40% of the population.

4 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Another post that will be incomprehensible to most people who don't live on YouTube:

So the biggest drama of the New Year has already landed but it's on a 4-hour Warski stream so I'm not prepared to sit through all that. The guests were Styxhexenhammer666, Richard Spencer, JF Gariepy and Sargon. I guess Spencer is attempting to strike while the iron is hot after Braving Ruin and JF Gariepy declared victory over the Skeptics at the Battle of Kraut and Tea. I might sit through Vee's 30+ minute assessment of his God-mentor Sargon's performance but maybe not. Other channels are cutting excerpts for themselves to critique and I think the Spencer fanboys will do most of the crowing.

Not a Warski fan but I commend Andy for having Spencer on despite all the flak any Skeptic, Centrist or SJW pwnage channel gets for talking to the Alt-Right. Somebody needs to get Spencer to specify in clear detail what his Final Solution is. He's quite comfortable talking about financial incentives for emigration and has suggested giving the untermenschen Florida but I've never heard anyone ask him straight up, "After the emigrations and the voluntary relocations to Florida, what happens to the remaining people?"

Jean Francois Gariepy is also an ethno-nationalist but far more tolerable than Spencer because he is from Quebec. There's a massive difference between retaining the existing ethnic makeup of an area and  Spencer's model, which is effectively ethnically cleansing 40% of the population.

I don't know too much about Warski as I tend to dip in and out. There are very few of these commentators that I respect, I used to quite enjoy watching a good few but when they became embroiled in drama and infighting I lost interest. After all, most of them have never actually done anything that puts them above the level of a pub bore. Most of the reason for their large followings is because they were in the right place at the right time. Compare that to a Thunderf00t, who despite saying some pretty stupid things, has done significant things professionally and has expertise that he has used in videos (e.g Why do people laugh at Creationists?). This is why I'm still subscribed to him.

I'm conflicted with the Richard Spencer thing. I understand the need to get out of the echo chamber and despise the extreme to which guilt-by-association is used nowadays. I'm a big Sam Harris fan and I think he just about gets this balance right. He's spoke to many people that would see him written off as part of the alt-right by the usual SJW crowd but he doesn't just get them on to agree. Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson have both appeared and he spent most of the time disagreeing with them.

However, there is a balance and I think Harris himself has actually rejected Spencer (he's definitely rejected Mike Cernovich). If you talk to him as part of a series where you talk to people from all over the place then you might get away with it. I don't know if Warski does it not. A good example would be Dave Rubin, he says he aims to do this but has interviewed Glenn Beck, Dennis Prager, Paul Joseph Watson, Steven Crowder, Stefan Molyneux, Sargon etc with few if any of their equivalents from the left. The result is that he now looks to have clearly sided with a group rather than interviewing all sides.

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

So the biggest drama of the New Year has already landed

I think you will find that the biggest drama on youtube is Logan Paul...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think you will find that the biggest drama on youtube is Logan Paul...

Yes but that's more of a MSM drama. I don't watch Logan Paul and, like the  PewDiePie "scandal" that the MSM got so much mileage out of last year, I think that one will be dead within a week. I think cultural taboos around death are pointless anyway because the central figure doesn't care.

7 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm conflicted with the Richard Spencer thing. I understand the need to get out of the echo chamber and despise the extreme to which guilt-by-association is used nowadays. I'm a big Sam Harris fan and I think he just about gets this balance right. He's spoke to many people that would see him written off as part of the alt-right by the usual SJW crowd but he doesn't just get them on to agree. Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson have both appeared and he spent most of the time disagreeing with them.

The point with Spencer is that you need to tie him down to the unanswered questions: his Final Solution, his preferred economic model after the great cleansing, his definition of "white enough." The Alt-Right benefits by remaining vague. A lot of his fringe followers are AnCaps and Libertarians who wouldn't be happy with just producing a White version of the status quo. A lot of them are standard capitalists but anti-globalism. Some are straight Fascists but have no deep feelings about race other than using it as a uniting factor.

Then there's the % of whiteness required. Which Mexicans would qualify? Would Cubans qualify, since they are generally more pure Spanish than many Mexicans? Would Christianity have any preferred status in this new White Society? What would the status of women be?

Jordan Peterson is very easy to disagree with. Apart from his free speech position, he's just a traditional conservative barely any different from mainstream Republicans. Ben Shapiro is in an indefensible position: rational thinker AND orthodox Jew. You can't be both since the latter requires such suspension of disbelief that it's impossible to retain any claim to rationality. Also it's very difficult for anyone in the 21st century to justify Leviticus and Deuteronomy, apart from ISIS members.

I do, however, like the fact that Peterson and Shapiro (and Rubin, to an extent) exist. The tradition of public speakers willing to turn up all around the country to discuss ideas is more important than the ideas themselves.

I have no idea what you lot are on about and can't understand how Oscar Peterson and Helen Shapiro have anything to do with it.

Shakes head in dismay. "Nurse! Nurse! It's time for my medication."

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

18 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I have no idea what you lot are on about and can't understand how Oscar Peterson and Helen Shapiro have anything to do with it.

Helen Shapiro is involved to help return America to greatness by walking back to happiness (woopah oh yeah)

its so obvious when you think about it 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Farmduck said:

So the biggest drama of the New Year has already landed but it's on a 4-hour Warski stream so I'm not prepared to sit through all that. The guests were Styxhexenhammer666, Richard Spencer, JF Gariepy and Sargon.

I'm 30 minutes into this podcast and Sargon is getting slaughtered by Richard Spencer.

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

These are all well-known members of the YT commentariat. Jordan Peterson is a Canadian Psychology Professor. Ben Shapiro is a radio commentator who founded the right-wing site The Daily Wire. He is a fairly articulate mainstream Republican. Richard Spencer is the founder of The Alt-Right. Styxhexenhammer666 is a YTer who makes videos on gardening, death metal, libertarianism, occult and paganism. Jean Francois Gariepy has a PhD in Genetics and is the intellectual leader of the YT Race Realists. Sam Harris is a philosopher with a PhD in Neuroscience and probably America's best-known atheist. Sargon of Akkad (aka Carl of Swindon) is a tubby Brit neckbeard who lives in his Mum's basement and survives on a steady diet of cigarettes and Doritos while playing video games.

These people all run YT channels and invite various interesting speakers on to talk about all kinds of stuff. It's like intelligent radio, or sometimes, unintelligent radio. I find it highly preferable to mainstream TV. You should check out a Sam Harris podcast sometime, pick one of the shorter ones.

Typical tree-hugger global-warming FAKE NEWS!

Today was announced as the hottest day recorded in Greater Sydney with 47.3 at Penrith, beating last year's 47.1 at Penrith. Turns out they were LYING!!!! There was an old weather station - closed now - at Richmond that recorded 47.8 back in 1939. SAD. #FakeNews

If Global Warming is real then why is it only 47.3 at Penrith?

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Today was announced as the hottest day recorded in Greater Sydney with 47.3 at Penrith, beating last year's 47.1 at Penrith. Turns out they were LYING!!!! There was an old weather station - closed now - at Richmond that recorded 47.8 back in 1939. SAD. #FakeNews

The 47.8c was reported on BBC

4 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Numerous reasons, different types of equipment, sitting of equipment, the times of day measurements taken, lots of issues in comparing the data.  

2017 was 2nd or 3rd warmest globally (depending on the dataset).  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The number of questions you are bombarded with in shops/cafes/pubs when buying something as simple as a cup of coffee.

Also, the American technique of short, multi-angle, quick camera shots that are creeping into British TV. 

The Australian Flu that has found its way into my house, and has kept me out of action for 2 days!

11 minutes ago, Mark S said:

The number of questions you are bombarded with in shops/cafes/pubs when buying something as simple as a cup of coffee.

Also, the American technique of short, multi-angle, quick camera shots that are creeping into British TV. 

The Australian Flu that has found its way into my house, and has kept me out of action for 2 days!

I used to work in a coffee shop.  I knew when people would just be in a hurry and I would try to avoid unnecessary questions, but if they just say "coffee" I will need more information.  I knew some would get stroppy and were trying to make a point, others were fine.  For the first lot, I would say - do you go into a pub, just say beer and then get annoyed when they ask you which one?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I used to work in a coffee shop.  I knew when people would just be in a hurry and I would try to avoid unnecessary questions, but if they just say "coffee" I will need more information.  I knew some would get stroppy and were trying to make a point, others were fine.  For the first lot, I would say - do you go into a pub, just say beer and then get annoyed when they ask you which one?

As a customer, you can pre-empt most questions in places like that. In, say Pret-a-Manger, I go up to the counter and say "just this sandwich to take away, no bag please" and the transaction is done immediately. It saves both parties time, and keeps the queue ticking along, so everyone benefits.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I ALWAYS ask for a "white Americano" the response is ALWAYS either "do you want milk with that?" or " shall I leave room for milk?".

Too busy to listen?, Corporate instructions? or not a bit interested in listening? I think the latter. (Or should that be pronounced "lhartay") pretentious  tawts..

Has anyone got a good name I can give the "barista" ( pretentious tawts) when I am asked to give my name in Starbucks?  Best I've come up with so far is Fuksayek"

" AMERICANO FOR Fuksayek"

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

6 hours ago, Bearman said:

I ALWAYS ask for a "white Americano" the response is ALWAYS either "do you want milk with that?" or " shall I leave room for milk?".

Too busy to listen?, Corporate instructions? or not a bit interested in listening? I think the latter. (Or should that be pronounced "lhartay") pretentious  tawts..

Has anyone got a good name I can give the "barista" ( pretentious tawts) when I am asked to give my name in Starbucks?  Best I've come up with so far is Fuksayek"

6BDFC9BE-EAC1-4B95-B99C-EB0EB8E263AB.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bearman said:

Americano is a black coffee.

If you're asking for a white Americano then you are lucky that nobody has hit you over the head and sent you to a correctional facility.

Mrs Ginger's boss is not called Frank or anything like Frank. They have a Starbucks just below their office. All the staff in there call him Frank because the first time he went in there the person decided he was called Frank despite him giving his Not Frank name. The second day a different person did the same thing. He has now given up. To the people in that Starbucks he is Frank.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you're asking for a white Americano then you are lucky that nobody has hit you over the head and sent you to a correctional facility.

Mrs Ginger's boss is not called Frank or anything like Frank. They have a Starbucks just below their office. All the staff in there call him Frank because the first time he went in there the person decided he was called Frank despite him giving his Not Frank name. The second day a different person did the same thing. He has now given up. To the people in that Starbucks he is Frank.

He should becme Spartacus

23 minutes ago, Shadow said:

He should becme Spartacus

That's closer to Frank than his actual name.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

To be honest, if you buy coffee in Starbucks, you deserve all you get. Their coffee is truly awful.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I’ve yet to find a coffee shop in the UK that would give you an americano that is black if you simply asked for an americano at the counter. I have to ask for a black americano and they still give me one with milk about 1:10. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"