Starting 17

thehullram

We've obviously been decimated with injuries this year, making a settled side difficult for Glenn to choose. Im not convinced that even with everyone fit he knows what his best 17 would be. I bet we all have a few different choices in there. Mine would be:-

Gudzek

Crookes

Pryce

Grady

Grant

Sykes

Kain

Groat

Conroy

Teanby

Spicer

Hale

Brown

Farrell

Adamson

Adamson

Tonks

A strong bench but still with weaknesses defensively, notably from the smaller players and those who just can't tackle (you know who they are).

We need a real shake up in technique and approach to improve things, as well as the return of key players.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'd probably be tempted to swap kain with Speakman or glover but other than that can't argue. Really need to sign another prop and quality half back

We had a prop but he failed to get himself fit.

Please tell us which quality half back you would propose signing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We had a prop but he failed to get himself fit.

Please tell us which quality half back you would propose signing.

I hear Rangi is looking for a new gaff he'd fit right in at Dewsbury :lol:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I hear Rangi is looking for a new gaff he'd fit right in at Dewsbury :lol:

You're right he would - we are big on gaffes at the moment.  :shout:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I think we all agree a new 7 is needed .... but who could do the job? .. and just who is available? 

Do we go for a Reynolds type ... young, unproven with great  potential ... or do we go for more experience the Brambani type?

I, like a lot of others, thought Kain could do the job ...  but his defensive shortcomings are hurting us badly!

So who would you suggest?? ....            

Saints have a spare or 2 as do Hull KR!!    ... or do we rescue JS from his nightmare at Worky?

What are you saying we shouldn't have signed them? Or that they didn't want to come?

Outbid by the moneybags over the valley.

I, like a lot of others, thought Kain could do the job ...  but his defensive shortcomings are hurting us badly!

Our defensive shortcomings are from the team as a whole not just Kain. On the attack he's very good and in my opinion the better of the number 7's we have at the club (although it would nice to see Brad Delaney back).

Our defensive shortcomings are from the team as a whole not just Kain. On the attack he's very good and in my opinion the better of the number 7's we have at the club (although it would nice to see Brad Delaney back).

I agree Kain is effective as an attacking option ... but however you want to couch it .... he can't tackle!! ...  So perhaps the coach should look at the defensive line down our right side and maybe position  Kain more centrally  where the forwards might be able to protect him from more embarrasing defensive mistakes .... it might do his confidence some good too!!   ... 

I agree Kain is effective as an attacking option ... but however you want to couch it .... he can't tackle!! ...  So perhaps the coach should look at the defensive line down our right side and maybe position  Kain more centrally  where the forwards might be able to protect him from more embarrasing defensive mistakes .... it might do his confidence some good too!!   ... 

Are we using a sliding defence, in which case we aren't sliding quick enough ? or is it a scrambling defence, in which case we are scrambling everywhere but in the vicinity of the ball carrier ? Lets face it, Kain, Guzdek and even Grady and Morton (who aren't defensively great anyway) are being let down badly by some of the forwards who go missing so often I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned on crimewatch. 

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Are we using a sliding defence, in which case we aren't sliding quick enough ? or is it a scrambling defence, in which case we are scrambling everywhere but in the vicinity of the ball carrier ? Lets face it, Kain, Guzdek and even Grady and Morton (who aren't defensively great anyway) are being let down badly by some of the forwards who go missing so often I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned on crimewatch. 

Correct GOR! By the time the backs are flailing around the forwards have gone missing. We certainly don't slide, and I don't think we really have done since Ned's days and our scrambling is of the breakfast type rather than RL. Too much is left to individuals and not enough organisation is in evidence, to my mind.

My real bugbear, and I may have mentioned this before, is the effort or lack of it shown by whoever is at marker half. Many teams (the good ones) have a tigerish approach to this position but some of ours seem to take it as a position to have a rest and just watch the opposition dummy half scoot away once again. Part of the reason for this stems from the fact that we don't seem to know how to slow down the tackle without giving away a penalty - other teams of our standard have learned this, why can't ours?

Correct GOR! By the time the backs are flailing around the forwards have gone missing. We certainly don't slide, and I don't think we really have done since Ned's days and our scrambling is of the breakfast type rather than RL. Too much is left to individuals and not enough organisation is in evidence, to my mind.

My real bugbear, and I may have mentioned this before, is the effort or lack of it shown by whoever is at marker half. Many teams (the good ones) have a tigerish approach to this position but some of ours seem to take it as a position to have a rest and just watch the opposition dummy half scoot away once again. Part of the reason for this stems from the fact that we don't seem to know how to slow down the tackle without giving away a penalty - other teams of our standard have learned this, why can't ours?

Coaching ? Really think GM needs some help on sorting out the defence, but no idea where it would come from.

George Bernard Shaw.

i think Grady's one of our better tacklers

Coaching ? Really think GM needs some help on sorting out the defence, but no idea where it would come from.

I bet there's plenty of advice from the South Stand.

(And from the posh lot who can afford to sit opposite, I guess.)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

i think Grady's one of our better tacklers

We have clearly been watching different teams.

He won't be covering for Morton on Saturday in any case.

Then clearly we need another.

Never said it was easy to sign another, we really missed the boat with brambani and Walker by the looks of it

I have to disagree on this Point. They weren't the half backs needed then and I don't think they are now

We've obviously been decimated with injuries this year, making a settled side difficult for Glenn to choose. Im not convinced that even with everyone fit he knows what his best 17 would be. I bet we all have a few different choices in there. Mine would be:-

Gudzek

Crookes

Pryce

Grady

Grant

Sykes

Kain

Groat

Conroy

Teanby

Spicer

Hale

Brown

Farrell

Adamson

Adamson

Tonks

I'd swap Groat and Tonks around. Groat is good but he can be a real penalty machine at times.

"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

I have to disagree on this Point. They weren't the half backs needed then and I don't think they are now

I'd swap Groat and Tonks around. Groat is good but he can be a real penalty machine at times.

Although he hasn't for us yet, given his past history Tonks can be a penalty machine too.

Archived