Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oxford

Magic Good News

when Saracens take a regular league game to Wembley and get 80k for it, it shows that marketing can do some wobderful things.

We are in a different place to union and London, but the principle is the same.

They are getting Londoners to watch one game involving a London team so I don't think the principle is the same.

I love the event but I seriously think people expect too much.

Magic was brilliant this year

St James bang in the centre, great atmosphere, lots of north east accents and scots accents in the crowd, great matches, better food on offer etc etc

Of note:

1 - Locals outside Newcastle over towards Carlisle complained there had been no marketing this year - no idea Magic was on -  I walked the wall this year and was repeatedly told there was blanket coverage last year nothing this year

2 - Like the challenge cup I would have a schools comp on at St James - north east schools only

3 - Where is the national press this year - all the papers for the next few days absolutely zip exposure

And for god sake not London next year please!

They are getting Londoners to watch one game involving a London team so I don't think the principle is the same.

I love the event but I seriously think people expect too much.

Do you genuinely believe we are at the peak of popularity for this event?

Do you genuinely believe we are at the peak of popularity for this event?

No. If you look at my first post on this matter I was pleased with small growth and will be year on year.

No. If you look at my first post on this matter I was pleased with small growth and will be year on year.

fair enough, i think we should be targeting more than 0.7% growth year on year.

fair enough, i think we should be targeting more than 0.7% growth year on year.

Whilst I don't disagree, this annual event is another 'cost' that has to be met by RL fans, who in many cases already fork out for a Season Ticket/Pass, a trip to Wembley, a trip to Old Trafford and this year potentially up to 4 International matches. Newcastle is between 200 and 350 Miles round trip, so you add into the costs at least 1 night in a Hotel, food, drink, tickets etc.....I personally think that if the "local figure' is 13k, then RL fans are to be applauded for turning out in such great numbers. I recall from my last Magic weekend that there were quite a few family groups in Cardiff and the potential cost for a family of 4 is quite frightening.

If we are going to try and market this event, then we should be targeting the locals more as they are an audience that will only have to cover their ticket cost and not much more. I'd really push the "fancy dress" and "carnival" theme

Whilst I don't disagree, this annual event is another 'cost' that has to be met by RL fans, who in many cases already fork out for a Season Ticket/Pass, a trip to Wembley, a trip to Old Trafford and this year potentially up to 4 International matches. Newcastle is between 200 and 350 Miles round trip, so you add into the costs at least 1 night in a Hotel, food, drink, tickets etc.....I personally think that if the "local figure' is 13k, then RL fans are to be applauded for turning out in such great numbers. I recall from my last Magic weekend that there were quite a few family groups in Cardiff and the potential cost for a family of 4 is quite frightening.

If we are going to try and market this event, then we should be targeting the locals more as they are an audience that will only have to cover their ticket cost and not much more. I'd really push the "fancy dress" and "carnival" theme

yup. Agree with all that.

Magic was brilliant this year

St James bang in the centre, great atmosphere, lots of north east accents and scots accents in the crowd, great matches, better food on offer etc etc

Of note:

1 - Locals outside Newcastle over towards Carlisle complained there had been no marketing this year - no idea Magic was on -  I walked the wall this year and was repeatedly told there was blanket coverage last year nothing this year

2 - Like the challenge cup I would have a schools comp on at St James - north east schools only

3 - Where is the national press this year - all the papers for the next few days absolutely zip exposure

And for god sake not London next year please!

Good post. Like the idea of a north east schools comp even if it's just a 7's comp. let the kids stay and watch the super league matches for free. Who knows maybe the family and friends of the kids taking part will want to see them playing on st. James park and will buy a ticket???

Also why not designate a super league side to a chosen school in Newcastle in which they could run a coaching clinic/fun day.

Hull want it next year.  Noooooo

I heard that as well, summat to do with our 2017 "City Of Culture" celebrations.

Dear God no, please snuff this idea out before it gets even more embarrassing.

Had a terrific weekend, Newcastle's a great host city, all the locals we spoke to seem interested in asking about the event and I heard plenty of local accents inside the ground.

Nice to see a few ex stars invloved in one way or another as well. We spoke to Keith Senior and Paul Sculthorpe briefly on our way in/out of the stadium on the Sunday.

Have heard Liverpool being suggested as a future venue by more than one person, not sure if this is for next year or even if it has any merit for future years but I quite like the idea. Whether or not it fits into the expanding the game category I don't know but I'd be there.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

I heard that as well, summat to do with our 2017 "City Of Culture" celebrations.

Dear God no, please snuff this idea out before it gets even more embarrassing.

Had a terrific weekend, Newcastle's a great host city, all the locals we spoke to seem interested in asking about the event and I heard plenty of local accents inside the ground.

Nice to see a few ex stars invloved in one way or another as well. We spoke to Keith Senior and Paul Sculthorpe briefly on our way in/out of the stadium on the Sunday.

Have heard Liverpool being suggested as a future venue by more than one person, not sure if this is for next year or even if it has any merit for future years but I quite like the idea. Whether or not it fits into the expanding the game category I don't know but I'd be there.

Anfield is about 4 miles from Liverpool City centre plus the area of anfield is pretty rough from what I can remember of it. Newcastle is perfect in terms of st. James park location with easy access by metro or walking from central station/city centre and boosts the local RL scene. Both the thunder and amateur teams(cramlington rockets).

Anfield is about 4 miles from Liverpool City centre plus the area of anfield is pretty rough from what I can remember of it. Newcastle is perfect in terms of st. James park location with easy access by metro or walking from central station/city centre and boosts the local RL scene. Both the thunder and amateur teams(cramlington rockets).

If the rumours are to be believed, then the Iranian billionaire at Everton wants to build a 50+K seater on Trafalgar dock,(just to the north of the the Liver Buildings and about 10-15 min walk from the centre.

If this goes ahead (and the pitch is the right size) the I can see this being a regular stadium for RL, and Ideal for Magic (By Ideal I mean Ideal for me)

If the rumours are to be believed, then the Iranian billionaire at Everton wants to build a 50+K seater on Trafalgar dock,(just to the north of the the Liver Buildings and about 10-15 min walk from the centre.

If this goes ahead (and the pitch is the right size) the I can see this being a regular stadium for RL, and Ideal for Magic (By Ideal I mean Ideal for me)

So what happens to the principle of using "Magic" as a development event to try to help Celtic Crusaders get more fans and players, or push the development of Scotland RL onwards, or raise the awareness for Newcastle Thunder and their push to develop towards being a Superleague club.

Currently we don't like the idea of the same clubs playing a third, fourth or even fifth time against each other in one season, and Peter Smith the RL reporter for the Yorkshire Evening post thinks scrapping Magic can be a good way to start reducing the workload on players.

I don't know how much it makes the game, but I do know the marketing fanatics would blindly spend every penny of the profit and more to get a "full house" and declare a triumph for the game.

It may be something we fans who can't get enough RL enjoy, but player welfare and good business should come into it rather than a thirst to tour Britain's major soccer grounds.

Edited by The Parksider

And bumped into JohnM and some of those Hull reprobates!

Was that before or after you bumped into us?

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Perhaps an way to increase crowds generally by a few thousand would be to have the Magic some time during the top/middle 8s. 4 games a day isn't unheard of and would make the issue of treble fixturing during the season defunct. Problem would be when to host it.

So what happens to the principle of using "Magic" as a development event to try to help Celtic Crusaders get more fans and players, or push the development of Scotland RL onwards, or raise the awareness for Newcastle Thunder and their push to develop towards being a Superleague club.

Currently we don't like the idea of the same clubs playing a third, fourth or even fifth time against each other in one season, and Peter Smith the RL reporter for the Yorkshire Evening post thinks scrapping Magic can be a good way to start reducing the workload on players.

I don't know how much it makes the game, but I do know the marketing fanatics would blindly spend every penny of the profit and more to get a "full house" and declare a triumph for the game.

It may be something we fans who can't get enough RL enjoy, but player welfare and good business should come into it rather than a thirst to tour Britain's major soccer grounds.

Good post. I have not been as rightly or wrongly L1 games continue during Magic. From an outside point of view though (and speaking to my daughter who is at Newcastle Uni) Magic is beginning to take hold locally and I am sure Thunder will see some long term benefit and do not under estimate the financial importance of a 3000 plus gate for a L1 team. Would seem a shame to move it for a while at least.

Player welfare is important but there are other ways to reduce the number of games.

Be interesting to see how many go to Blackpool this weekend.

I hope your right, Liverpool City centre is a fantastic place, a similar idea failed a few years back.

Why not have day 1 or 2 in Sunderland?

Sunderland city centre is an absolute dump, there are very few hotels and their train station isn't on a main line.

It can only be good for Thunder, who made a more than decent fist of their sole season in SL. It's a great place to visit, with far more open minded people than you'd get in any u---- "hotbed". The ground is a good size and looks good on TV even when "only" half full. I simply can't see anywhere that ticks all the boxes in the same way.

For me the following events should be set in stone :-

Challenge cup final wembley stadium London.

Super league Grand final old Trafford Manchester.

Magic weekend st.james park Newcastle.

For me the following events should be set in stone :-

Challenge cup final wembley stadium London.

Super league Grand final old Trafford Manchester.

Magic weekend st.james park Newcastle.

Totally agree. It showcases RL right across the country this way. The only tweak I would make is to have MW on the bank holiday which would give the Sunday a big boost in terms of attendance. Thought there was a far bigger turnout of locals this year compared to last but some of the teams brought far fewer fans this time.

Totally agree. It showcases RL right across the country this way. The only tweak I would make is to have MW on the bank holiday which would give the Sunday a big boost in terms of attendance. Thought there was a far bigger turnout of locals this year compared to last but some of the teams brought far fewer fans this time.

My thoughts entirely. Not sure why we couldn't have played it on this coming bank holiday weekend. I think once we break the 80,000 mark then we'll see magic weekend in Newcastle sell itself like the grand final in Manchester. It will become a must see event for hardcore RL fans who are always going to make up around 60-70% of the attendance while the rest will be locals.

Anyone got figures per club? Leeds and Saints might have brought fewer this year, as fans are pretty unhappy with the way the season is going. And those would normally be two of the better-supported clubs.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Anyone got figures per club? Leeds and Saints might have brought fewer this year, as fans are pretty unhappy with the way the season is going. And those would normally be two of the better-supported clubs.

ive always found Saints travel to this in poor numbers.