The Greatest Ever RL Shirts

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are talking iconic I think it is hard to go against the Balmain Tigers, Kangaroos and Wigan's large hoops flanks by smaller hoops

You mean irregular hoops that they pinched from Hull FC? 

{That Hull FC in turn pinched from some touring side IIRC.)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

My faves which i have are-

Castleford 1969 Challenge Cup jerseys. All white with black and amber chevron and coat of arms on a black background

GB Gillette jersey

Brisbane Broncos inaugural jersey

I bought my brother a retro Balmain Tigers jersey for his birthday that he wears to Cas matches.

The 1951 Wigan shirt. Contrast that with this year's fluorescent effort worn at Magic Weekend.

1951cupfinalshirt.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3236518254.jpg

You mean irregular hoops that they pinched from Hull FC?

{That Hull FC in turn pinched from some touring side IIRC.)

them the ones. I would only say Wigan is more iconic due to the success the club achieved in it.

them the ones. I would only say Wigan is more iconic due to the success the club achieved in it.

I would say Hull's are more iconic due to the Victoria Cross winning hero wearing them...

CS4R9ORXIAAdVII.jpg

:imsohappy:

The Australia one with Adidas piping was great.

Butchers stripes

Warrington Greenhalls

Milk

I really liked the City origin shirt as well.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The 1951 Wigan shirt. Contrast that with this year's fluorescent effort worn at Magic Weekend.

1951cupfinalshirt.jpg

I am also fond of this for personal nostalgic reasons because, badge aside, it is almost identical to my old school colours, except we had blue shorts, which was very un-Wigan.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hated the team, loved the shirt.

2Broncos-88_1024x1024.png?v=1456291549

If it's an original, the sponsor should be Power, not Power's. When they changed the spelling they moved the yellow to the bottom half.

The wigan shirt for the Wigan v warrington game in Milwaukee was a beauty, got one that year for Christmas and someone stole it off the washing line!

Is this the one you mean?

89milwaukeeshirt.JPG

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sorry checked out all the competition and still the Eagles shirt of Full Monty fame for me! Though I have to say their Summer Bash one for this year is pretty good too!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Always liked Canterbury shirts going right back to the original CB logo.

The Bulldogs always come up with a smart number.

Still without any bias (ahem) can't beat the Black and White irregular hoops - iconic and instantly recognizable ;)

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

In similar vein to Roy Boy, I cannot think of anything I have seen which betters the 'traditional' regular cherry and white hoops which graced the likes of Billy Boston and eric Ashton. 

Having said that, I like many of the Catalan Dragons variants and they are clever (as is the club's name) in both appealing to a wider area than just Perpignan and playing on the sense of separate Catalan identity (ie being Catalan 'national' colours), by which I mean not French, aka Parisian and northern French.  But then I can imagine reacting against the centralist, very French stance of national governments is a strong temptation (I think I once read that there is only one official language in France which is, of course, French). 

On my point, but with apologies for drifting a wee bit off-post, could one of our French correspondents please say what the language is of the sign held up by a Ferrals' player after they won the French national 1 title at the weekend? "Ferrals de las Corbieras" is clearly not French!  I saw the picture on the L'Independant newspaper website.

Archived