I agree, it was decent. The segment getting to Blackpool was dull, but the Top Gun bit was good (actually we could have done with a bit more Sabine), and so was the nomad one.

I think the Blackpool one died a bit with Le Blanc's Reliant but I enjoyed the bantz as the kids say. I thought the chemistry between them was good as there seemed to be some genuine competitiveness.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarkson may have been, no was, a total *rse but he was a consumate communicator and his skilled condescension was the driving force of the show.The other two complemented him perfectly.

IMHO Evans is a poor shouty substitute and Le Blank is weak. He simply just doesn't get it.

I enjoyed it and was sad to see it go.

Well what a surprise!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just watched the BBC Three offshoot Extra Gear, thought it was better than the main show.

Splitting the content into two shows is odd enough, but having two different sets of presenters is even odder.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Splitting the content into two shows is odd enough, but having two different sets of presenters is even odder.

Think they are edging their bets. My guess is if the new top gear doesn't work then extra gear will be rolled in to replace it.

It doesn't really matter what your (or my opinion) is/was of Clarkson and Top Gear; it was a very popular programme in many social groups whether you/I like it or not.

Quite so.  Ten years ago, I did not own a car, was left wing and had no interest in cars.  I enjoyed the programme very much.  Though, I am surprised it lasted so long.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Clarkson may have been, no was, a total *rse but he was a consumate communicator and his skilled condescension was the driving force of the show.The other two complemented him perfectly.

IMHO Evans is a poor shouty substitute and Le Blank is weak. He simply just doesn't get it.

Yep, whatever you think about Clarkson the person it was his writing skills that made Top Gear so popular.

While not everything they tired was successful there was still a lot of humour in the scripts and Hammond & May fed off this to great effect.

Now we have Evans who's trying to interpret someone else's script (badly) and a 3rd rate American actor who's so wooden it makes the whole show tedious to watch.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Yep, whatever you think about Clarkson the person it was his writing skills that made Top Gear so popular.

While not everything they tired was successful there was still a lot of humour in the scripts and Hammond & May fed off this to great effect.

Now we have Evans who's trying to interpret someone else's script (badly) and a 3rd rate American actor who's so wooden it makes the whole show tedious to watch.

Instead of a fourth rate motoring journo and his fifth rate hangers on.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I remember being really upset when Tom Baker left Doctor Who.

I got over it, though.

Trick with these things is not to rush to judgement. Give the new guy a chance n' all that. It's a wonder any show of any kind gets past its first episode these days, it's so easy to swamp anything in a sea of instant criticism.

Instead of a fourth rate motoring journo and his fifth rate hangers on.

But they weren't... fourth/fifth rate wouldn't have achieved the success Clarkson and his hangers on achieved. You can dislike them as much as you want but it doesn't mask their success.

But they weren't... fourth/fifth rate wouldn't have achieved the success Clarkson and his hangers on achieved. You can dislike them as much as you want but it doesn't mask their success.

And success is no measure of quality.

Just reminiscing about the time the lads drove to the North Pole. Clarkson being thrown into freezing water, May on Polar Bear watch while Clarkson had a poo and Hammond crying to himself with fatigue. Can't help but think Evans would not be the type to do any of it. He looked vexed when he slipping on the reliant trip. 

It doesn't matter what I supposedly suggested - lots of people thought it was good quality hence its success. 

And I simply replied that success is not a measure of quality. It isn't. People often like rubbish. It doesn't make it any good. The Sun is the most read paper in the UK but nobody would seriously suggest it's a quality newspaper.

Archived