3 Jun: SL: Salford Red Devils v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm

Who will win?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Draw
    • Wigan Warriors

Normally I'd agree, but there was a great deal of relish and hopefulness about some people's re-broadcasting of the most lurid rumours. Unpalatable, to say the least.

i certainly didnt see that here but then i suppose it wouldnt surprise me on twitter, i avoided delving as it can be pretty grim

Salford look tired according to Radio Manchester. Kick to Wigan 17 - 10. Game probably over. :(

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Game over. Wigan 23 - 10. We still can't match this level. Good night.

Salford 20:23 Wigan!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very tight finish.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Game over. Wigan 23 - 10. We still can't match this level. Good night.

Or perhaps not.

Salford 20:23 Wigan!

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If they can keep the management/team together those close defeats should eventually turn into close wins.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If they can keep the management/team together those close defeats should eventually turn into close wins.

I hope so. It's something I'd call "gamecraft". How to turn your goal line pressure into points and how to prevent your opponents turning goal line pressure into points. We don't have it, Wigan do. That's why they've beaten us twice this season in very close games. Our day will come, he says hopefully.

Night night all!

Good tough game this evening. Wigan were excellent defensively for almost all second half both on their own line and when Salford were driving out from their own line. Two wonderful tries by Charnley threading the needle between Carney and touchline, having been set up by exquisitely timed passes from Sarge on both occasions. Spirited attempt from Salford to break free of shackles in last ten minutes, though clock finally worked against them.

Game also featured a collectors item that I don't think I have seen before. With Salford 10-4 ahead and pressing hard, Salford win a penalty about 20m out and roughly half way between posts and touchline. Salford opt to kick and miss but ball goes dead. So Wigan drop out and Smith hoists an enormous kick that bounces and goes dead behind Salford posts. Salford drop out and from resulting set Wigan score. Never seen a20m drop out go dead beyond touch in goal. Smith had excellent game generally.

Interviewer to Shaun Wane: 'What would you do if your daughter brought home a boy from St. Helens?'

Wane to interviwer: 'That won't happen' !

Wow! There must have been a gale blowing?

Smith has been playing well for a while now - his drop goals alone have been crucial in 4 games. He gets such stick when he plays badly but rarely praised.

That's great win - I was concerned when looking at this run or away games but we are showing great resilience. As Campese showed on Thursday, structure will transform a team. Having Sam and Williams back gives us so many more dimensions. It will be good to get Gelling back next week - HKR will be a very tough game.

Smith has been blamed, unfairly in my view, for Wigan's lack of creativity. What was forgotten was that he was effectively the sole playmaker with Sam, Williams, Micky Mac and Lockers all out. So shutting Smith down limited Wigan's attack considerably. It was Smith's bad luck to be the only fit playmaker so got the blame! I think he is an excellent organiser and strategist, or game manager in the current parlance. The timing of his drop goal last night was critical to the gap Wigan established in the second half.

Interviewer to Shaun Wane: 'What would you do if your daughter brought home a boy from St. Helens?'

Wane to interviwer: 'That won't happen' !

Smith has been blamed, unfairly in my view, for Wigan's lack of creativity. What was forgotten was that he was effectively the sole playmaker with Sam, Williams, Micky Mac and Lockers all out. So shutting Smith down limited Wigan's attack considerably. It was Smith's bad luck to be the only fit playmaker so got the blame! I think he is an excellent organiser and strategist, or game manager in the current parlance. The timing of his drop goal last night was critical to the gap Wigan established in the second half.

He's always looked more effective the better his halfback partner is, both for Wigan and England. He's not a player who always shines on his own.

Like Rob Burrow at Leeds, he's had to shoulder a bit too much at times this year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The decision to try to take the 2 points was an awful call and one that changed the game for me. Robert Lui claimed he had his foot over the dead ball line when he caught the ball.

Salford have come a long way. Injuries are having an impact but still need to improve composure.

Thanks for the optimism. I think the middle 8's this year will be a tough contest and the Million Pound game is a one off. I will be mighty pleased if we come through it ok. Still some hope of avoiding the middle 8's though even we we don't get any points given back.

Thanks for the optimism. I think the middle 8's this year will be a tough contest and the Million Pound game is a one off. I will be mighty pleased if we come through it ok. Still some hope of avoiding the middle 8's though even we we don't get any points given back.

Some hope, yes. But not much. Leeds (A); Huddersfield (H); Castleford (H); Warrington (A); Widnes (A); Hull FC (H). Being realistic, we need 20 points, which means another 10. I think we can get 6 out of those fixtures, 8 at a push; but not 10. I reckon Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes and Hull KR will pick up enough wins between now and the end of 23 fixtures to see us finish 9th at best. Still, we should easily manage the middle 8s, shouldn't we?

Some hope, yes. But not much. Leeds (A); Huddersfield (H); Castleford (H); Warrington (A); Widnes (A); Hull FC (H). Being realistic, we need 20 points, which means another 10. I think we can get 6 out of those fixtures, 8 at a push; but not 10. I reckon Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes and Hull KR will pick up enough wins between now and the end of 23 fixtures to see us finish 9th at best. Still, we should easily manage the middle 8s, shouldn't we?

Tony, the word 'should' and 'Salford' don't fit well together. I certainly won't be over confident.

I understand the comments about Smith and maybe I've been his harshest critic. However, I still think his in-play kicks are on average, below average. Seen much better from other teams.

I think it is fair criticism, if he is known as the steady organiser then he can certainly be judged on those things he does, like his kicking game. There may be an argument that without a quality half alongside him he tries to be that flair player too, when he is nothing like that, so maybe affecting what he is good at.

Archived