Manchester ....to see or not to see; this is the question !

Hi all,

Flying into Manchester later in the year (from NYC / Munich) with the plan to hopefully catch a SL game somewhere nearby whilst there.

Must admit there is nothing grabbing me from a tourist attraction point of view but I'm sure it is worth a a few days stay before i head south. ( Note: Spent a few days each in Leeds and Warrington during 2013RLWC and just enjoyed roaming around the two cities. Ditto for Bristol)

Any insights into some sights to see / things to do / possible 'off the beaten track' ideas ..............................or pubs to hang out in !

Thinking 2 / 3 nights tops to stay.  

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Hi all,

Flying into Manchester later in the year (from NYC / Munich) with the plan to hopefully catch a SL game somewhere nearby whilst there.

Must admit there is nothing grabbing me from a tourist attraction point of view but I'm sure it is worth a a few days stay before i head south. ( Note: Spent a few days each in Leeds and Warrington during 2013RLWC and just enjoyed roaming around the two cities. Ditto for Bristol)

Any insights into some sights to see / things to do / possible 'off the beaten track' ideas ..............................or pubs to hang out in !

If you want pubs and tourist attractions then it has to be York.

If you're in Manchester, a visit to Salford Quays isn't far, and has various attractions that seem to be well-regarded. The Lowry Centre is just across the water from Imperial War Museum North. And there's the 'Coronation Street' tour nearby too, if that's your sort of thing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi all,

There are plenty of museums and "cultural" things. The national football museum is there too. 

And as for pubs.

http://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/england/articles/manchester-s-10-most-historic-pubs-a-pint-of-nostalgia/

Head to Piccadilly station. Jump on a train heading west. In 40 minutes you'll be in Liverpool. Problem solved. ;)

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Catch a concert the Bridgewater Hall, or the Royal Northern College of Music

See a performance at The Opera House, the Palace Theatre and the Royal Exchange Theatre

See what's on at the MEN Arena.

Visit the velodrome at the National Cycling Centre

Take a tour of the Etihad Stadium, home of Manchester's only Premier League soccer team

Visit the Museum of Science and Industry, the John Rylands Library, The Manchester Museum

Get out to Styal Mill

Shop at Harvey Nicks

Catch a gig at the Band on the Wall

Visit the set of Coronation Street

Visit my birthplace

Catch a concert the Bridgewater Hall, or the Royal Northern College of Music

See a performance at The Opera House, the Palace Theatre and the Royal Exchange Theatre

See what's on at the MEN Arena.

Visit the velodrome at the National Cycling Centre

Take a tour of the Etihad Stadium, home of Manchester's only Premier League soccer team

Visit the Museum of Science and Industry, the John Rylands Library, The Manchester Museum

Get out to Styal Mill

Shop at Harvey Nicks

Catch a gig at the Band on the Wall

Visit the set of Coronation Street

Visit my birthplace

Do all this then head south and discover how much nicer it is  :tongue:

Do all this then head south and discover how much nicer it is  :tongue:

What's so great about Macclesfield?  :no2:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here are some handy tips to make you feel at home in this friendly city.

the locals have a gentle whimsical sense of humour and like nothing more than to have a bit of fun at their expense.

1) As in Australia "Bastrad" is not seen as a term of offence but as a sign of mateship. Calling someone a "fcuknig Bastrad" will always be met with smile.

2) The local police or "Bobbies" are always keen to make the foreign visitor welcome. Knocking those funny shaped helmets off their heads will always be met with a good natured chortle. Don't make the mistake of calling them Bobbies to their face as they might think you are taking the Pee instead remember you can't go wrong with " fcuknig bastrad".

3) Its only a short train to Liverpool and perhaps because of that lots of Mancs are big fans of Liverpool or Everton and will take to you if you wear one of their shirts.

Perhaps some of the other regular posters on this site could add a few helpful hints too?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

And there's the 'Coronation Street' tour nearby too, if that's your sort of thing.

Corrie tour ended in December. You can get a tour around the BBC in media city though.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

the locals have a gentle whimsical sense of humour and like nothing more than to have a bit of fun at their expense.

1) As in Australia "Bastrad" is not seen as a term of offence but as a sign of mateship. Calling someone a "fcuknig Bastrad" will always be met with smile.

2) The local police or "Bobbies" are always keen to make the foreign visitor welcome. Knocking those funny shaped helmets off their heads will always be met with a good natured chortle. Don't make the mistake of calling them Bobbies to their face as they might think you are taking the Pee instead remember you can't go wrong with " fcuknig bastrad".

3) Its only a short train to Liverpool and perhaps because of that lots of Mancs are big fans of Liverpool or Everton and will take to you if you wear one of their shirts.

Perhaps some of the other regular posters on this site could add a few helpful hints too?

Due to the relative proximity to Scotland many public toilets display a man wearing a kilt for the Gents

When travelling by bus always pay with the highest denomination note available, the drivers hate having to count all that pesky train at the end of their shift.

You will notice how multicultural Manchester is and how many of the incoming communities have added to life in this great city. One of the traditions they have brought with them that has been readily adopted by the indigenous population is bartering. Prices in Bars, Restaurants and Taxis are a starting point, expect to pay about 50% of their initial bid.

I hope these help.

Thanks for the heads up ! I'll be sure to keep all this mind. Buying my Liverpool shirt today and will be parading it around every pub in Manchester where hopefully I can address a member of the local constabulary in the manner you have advised. Might even start up a chat in one of the pub's as to why one of the North's biggest cities doesn't have a major rugby league team !

Thanks again !

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Head to Piccadilly station. Jump on a train heading west. In 40 minutes you'll be in Liverpool. Problem solved. ;)

Yes enjoyed my stay there in 2013...and might get back there this trip.

Due to the relative proximity to Scotland many public toilets display a man wearing a kilt for the Gents

When travelling by bus always pay with the highest denomination note available, the drivers hate having to count all that pesky train at the end of their shift.

You will notice how multicultural Manchester is and how many of the incoming communities have added to life in this great city. One of the traditions they have brought with them that has been readily adopted by the indigenous population is bartering. Prices in Bars, Restaurants and Taxis are a starting point, expect to pay about 50% of their initial bid.

I hope these help.

. Sure do ! Those Manx are a wise bunch !

Some more tips, courtesy Gerard Hoffnung

All brothels display a blue light.

Ignore all Keep Left signs as they are merely political slogans

You can park for nothing on a zebra crossing

When you get on a tram, make sure you shake hands with everyone.

karte-1-770.gif

This is where you find Manx. 

Whoops ! Should have known better myself. Visited IoM in 2013.  Nice place.

moss side is worth a visit too,just make sure you go after 9pm to experience it at its best

Mmmmm....did some reading ......interesting place !  Might put that in the 'could' visit category ...as opposed the 'must' and 'should' options !   

Afternoon tea at the Town Hall

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

For food katsouris for butties, this and that for a curry. Both will be packed with locals and you'll struggle to spend more than £5 and be well fed. Solita for a burger. The French for something really posh. Toms chop house for traditional English.

Bars corbiers for the jukebox. Dukes for the beer garden. Britons protection, Marble Arch for traditional. Mojo or gas lamp for a bit trendy.

Avoid like the plague the printworks and deangate locks.

It's not a big city you can walk across in 30 mins some nice buildings to visit town hall and rylans library both free.

Get on the tram to Altringham on a Sunday for the craft/farmers/food/beer market the 20 min tram ride along the canal is nice too.

For a walk Dunham Massey, Rivington and Heaton park.

Archived