What should be the priority?

I enjoy reading all the different ideas and views about what is being done right and wrong in rugby league and what should/could be done.

What do people on here think the RFL should prioritise? Change in structure, securing TV games for championship, increasing playing numbers, expansion, more media presence, scholarship and Academy structures, salary cap, more home nations internationals, reducing overseas players anything else I've missed.

For me, the starting point has to be media presence, promotion of the amateur game and increased participation.

Get more players enjoying decent levels of competition and make it something people actively want to be part of with a high level of media promotion. Give it some decent professional branding that appeals to all age-groups and get the word out so that others see it's something worth being part of.

Increased participation will hopefully have a corresponding knock-on (no pun intended) that players will want to go and watch the game at a higher level than their own be that pro or semi-pro in an enjoyable and friendly family stadium/ground.

Finally I would recommend that the RFL focus on the very youngest age-group in a 'catch them while they're young' exercise either by offering improved facilities and support for the grassroots clubs or by free tickets to schools/junior clubs to get the kids and their parents on to the terraces.

I have avoided looking to lay the blame at any given parts' doorstep for failings but, with a strong amateur and/or professional governing body working in unison and positively supporting the game's heartland clubs then, I believe, further expansion into non-traditional areas will come but only if we work together with a shared aim.

If we continue to just think that kids/adults will flock to the game without some increased media presence we are sadly deluding ourselves!

Appreciate not everyone will agree and I also accept that I have a Y&J 'bias' but at least they are ideas and it gets the ball rolling!

Media

I agree there should be more in the National papers but this has always been the case, my local paper the Hull Daily Mail is very good as is the Yorkshire Post, HDM have a Hot shots for youth rugby but few teams bother to write in, all the magazines are available online I download mine every week and save money.

TV

Sky 3 matches a week some weeks, along with other programs. Magic Weekend, Big Bash (All matches) world club challenge

Premier Sports with NRL, NRL Fultime, Footy show, Andrew Johns Show, The NRL Rooky

BBC Challenge Cup, Internationals, Super League Show

I would say never been better, more coverage of the lower leagues would be good, I enjoyed them on a Thursday when shown 

• Increasing participation with the younger age groups is a big part of the RFL policy but when the NWC have done a better job with little or no help from the RFL I question their policies.
  • In Hull they have introduced an under 6 age group with cubs even younger, we will be in the maternity wards soon with signing on forms and a camera for the playing card.
  • Hull FC have a Fanbassador scheme (Rovers have something similar) offering amateur clubs and schools FOC and cheap tickets for accompanying parents with kids, with the opportunity to be mascots or wave flags for the teams at the matches.
  • The RFL have made radical changes to the amateur game to increase participation they promote an increase most would disagree
  • I would again say the game has tried to expand for years with little success, if the RFL think a few dozen clubs playing in the RU off season mostly sharing RU facilities is a success then so be it.
  • To me SL is making the RFL look good and papering over the cracks I had hoped SL would have gone independent meaning the RFL would have had to concentrate on the Championship, Amateur OA and Y and J along with input and backing from the SL clubs as this is where the future players come from

• 7 months later...

Archived