Tight-fit shirts... Who started them and when?

Just watching the 1999 NRL GF on Fox and all the players have baggy shirts.

It just started the debate... when did the shirts change to the current style?

Tried to google but that was too hard!!

Any ideas???

I don't know about worldwide, but I'm pretty sure Bradford were the first in SL to start using tight shirts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was my first thought too. What year do you reckon?

I think it was around the turn of the century. But they weren't suddenly the really form-fitting modern ones, just tighter than the other teams' shirts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

DiH68, on 16 Jun 2016 - 8:17 PM, said:

That was my first thought too. What year do you reckon?

I think it was early in Matty Elliots tenure 1997-8, it was an innovation designed to stop defenders easily grabbing the shirt when avoiding a tackle, that's my recollection!

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Clive Woodward always claims they came about after he had discussions with Nike in about 2001/2.

Yes - one of Clive Woodwards many inventions "after" it had already been done in RL.    I understand that next week he is due to invent "expansive rugby"

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

It started in American Football. Cant recall who exactly, but it started happening when RL coaches used to regularly visit with NFL teams to utilise similar ideas and approaches to improving performance. One idea being, the tighter the shirts, the harder it is for the opposition to grab them.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

It started in American Football. Cant recall who exactly, but it started happening when RL coaches used to regularly visit with NFL teams to utilise similar ideas and approaches to improving performance. One idea being, the tighter the shirts, the harder it is for the opposition to grab them.

Yes, American Football had done it first, but RL coaches going back to Jack Gibson had been studying American methods for years, without adopting the idea of the tight shirt until the late Nineties.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tight shirts must be in the last 10 years. I think Saints first was around 2006, the arm holes were definitely bicep snug and the top tapered from under the arms to the waist. Prior to that, from 2003 ,they were getting tailored rather than tight.

Yes, they went from baggy, to tailored, to "give me a hand putting this on, will you?"

Amazing how dated the baggy shirt era looks, and it wasn't really all that long ago.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, they went from baggy, to tailored, to "give me a hand putting this on, will you?"

Amazing how dated the baggy shirt era looks, and it wasn't really all that long ago.

Yes. I have a STAG brand Saints top from 95 and it is basically a large pillowcase with short sleeves and a v neck.

First used in Rugby League by Bradford Bulls. 1998-ish, for a (Challenge Cup?) Final. They were one off gold-coloured jerseys with (I think) Compaq as a sponsor?

They caused a massive stir at the time - I remember the commentators talking about them a lot as they looked so 'different' from what had gone before.

As mentioned already, the idea came from American football.

Many years later, Clive Woodward claimed that he 'invented' the idea in 2003. He was simply lying.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you're all wrong.

I checked this out and and had it confirmed by ckn, John Drake, Dave Hadfield, Dave woods and Schoey all of whom were there at the time,

The tight shirt was started, brought into being and possibly designed by Larry "Buster" Crabbe for his role as Flash Gordon.

You can Google this but in the interest of fairness other search engines are available!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you're all wrong.

I checked this out and and had it confirmed by ckn, John Drake, Dave Hadfield, Dave woods and Schoey all of whom were there at the time,

The tight shirt was started, brought into being and possibly designed by Larry "Buster" Crabbe for his role as Flash Gordon.

You can Google this but in the interest of fairness other search engines are available!

Silly bugler! :D 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The first really tight fitting shirts I noticed on a team was in 1997 in a "Hooters" bar in the States.

:wub:  :wub:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

There seems to be an intriguing contrast here.  While shirts have got tighter and briefer (though not yet to Aussie Rules sleeveless state), shorts seem to me to have become just a wee bit baggier in recent years.  So, when you have been wrong-footed by a good body swerve, you may still have a bit more to grab lower down, as it were!

There seems to be an intriguing contrast here.  While shirts have got tighter and briefer (though not yet to Aussie Rules sleeveless state), shorts seem to me to have become just a wee bit baggier in recent years.  So, when you have been wrong-footed by a good body swerve, you may still have a bit more to grab lower down, as it were!

Pervert :tongue:

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

I have no idea when they started using these " snug " tops.... I just wish they would remember that most of us who buy replica shirts arent exactly in " match" shape anymore....and it would be appreciated if they brought out shirts with collars etc for casual wear( also with a little more room for "expansion" )

:)

( also with a little more room for "expansion" )

:)

Any excuse to change the line of the thread to spreading the game into new areas!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Pervert :tongue:

Just for the record, DW, I was contrasting the increased amount of material in shorts with the decreased amount in shirts...not sure what you had in mind!

Archived