It's happening. The RFL are failing massively here.

Attendance figures are still declining and every minute does not count. The weaker clubs are suffering the first. The rest will follow.

The RFL have run the professional sport shambolically and the management of at least SL and probably both Championships must be managed by a new commercially orientated business.

SL and probably both Championships must be managed by a new commercially orientated business.

I think this is very accurate.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just why is it the fault of the RFL that Salford have low crowds. Surely the Salford marketing department (if indeed there is one) should be criticised.

I didn't say it was I just felt that the commercial oriented footing is the way to go!

But if you're asking how the RFL have helped Salford in all this, that's another question altogether.

As for SRD the writing is on the wall for them at almost every level and every facet of the game. Still it'll be nice pickings in terms of players for other clubs. And people who argue that winning a competition from 4th is rubbish will be smiling when the Bulls finish 3rd or 4th but replace Salford in SL. So it's an ill wind, when they go under, same as always. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just why is it the fault of the RFL that Salford have low crowds. Surely the Salford marketing department (if indeed there is one) should be criticised.

a little yes, but I believe the RFL have contributed to the demise of Salford due to the poor management and structuring of the elite competition in Europe.

The first to start feeling the negative effects of this mismanagement were always going to be the clubs that are less engaged with their communities. That in itself was Salfords issue, but the league structure has made it increasingly difficult for clubs to remedy the problem.

Salford haven't suffered a demise though. They are still standing. As with other areas of the club - back room staff, coaching, youth development and recruitment they will sort this out and move forward. What impresses me about Dr K is his determined resilience. This crowd figure is meaningless in isolation - save I suppose to an agenda driven supporter of a club "badly done to".

If Bradford say could have attracted an owner like this they wouldn't be languishing mid table in the championship.

Do the Red Devils have a marketing department?

If they do are they aware of match day marketing?

You just can't expect people to turn up nowadays like they use to years ago. The world has moved on.

There crowds haven't been good for years and appear to be getting worse.

I would suggest that if they have a marketing department the good Doctor closes it down and brings in a proper marketing firm prior to home games

Again shows the need for two tens, with p&r between them. Hull, Leeds Bradford wire Wigan saints and Catalans can all draw well over 10k. Add to them Widnes Leigh Cas Wakey HKR Huddersfield fax Fev Salford plus Toulouse Toronto London and a new funded venture in Newcastle or Wales would make a great FT structure for the sport to build from

Salford haven't suffered a demise though. They are still standing. As with other areas of the club - back room staff, coaching, youth development and recruitment they will sort this out and move forward. What impresses me about Dr K is his determined resilience. This crowd figure is meaningless in isolation - save I suppose to an agenda driven supporter of a club "badly done to".

If Bradford say could have attracted an owner like this they wouldn't be languishing mid table in the championship.

I think they have suffered and are suffering something which is the begining of the end. The crowd figure is useless on it's own certainly but with the team they have assembled it is telling. And how long can any pot of money last in the face of a poor setting for a stadium, low income streams, and another sport and the council running things as if RL wasn't there? Added to the comic East Enders caricature of the RFL v SRD and who would turn up?

And saying something nice about MK! Are you trying to inflame the situation on this forum? ;)

Again shows the need for two tens, with p&r between them. Hull, Leeds Bradford wire Wigan saints and Catalans can all draw well over 10k. Add to them Widnes Leigh Cas Wakey HKR Huddersfield fax Fev Salford plus Toulouse Toronto London and a new funded venture in Newcastle or Wales would make a great FT structure for the sport to build from

You seem to repeat this on every single thread; it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. Dress it up as much as you want but SL2 will still be the equivalent of the Championship and teams like Salford will still have poor crowds, especially if in SL2. Only success in the top division will bring any decent crowds to Salford et al.

Koukash offers discounted tickets at £15 for the game then gets bashed by season tickets holders saying they get a bad deal. I don't think he can win. In the bottom four again this year, with the locals not getting behind the club, must be disheartening for him.

Is 1,958 the smallest crowd in Super League history?

Well we sort of can. MK tried to buy us when we were still in SL but he reckoned we were worth £25k. Which I guess makes SRD worth about 25p. If he'd paid proper money and put the resources in as he's done there then he would have had a massive return by now. SRD are a money pit.

We are not in mid-table in the championship.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Koukash offers discounted tickets at £15 for the game then gets bashed by season tickets holders saying they get a bad deal. I don't think he can win. In the bottom four again this year, with the locals not getting behind the club, must be disheartening for him.

How many locals were aware that the game was going on?

Well we sort of can. MK tried to buy us when we were still in SL but he reckoned we were worth £25k. Which I guess makes SRD worth about 25p. If he'd paid proper money and put the resources in as he's done there then he would have had a massive return by now. SRD are a money pit.

We are not in mid-table in the championship.

Was that via his wife?

It's not necessarily what he wanted to pay to buy you but what he would have spent once he owned you. At a guess it would have been more than the OK owners and probably more than the current ones

So who would fund all these full time teams? Would some of the existing SL owners reduce their funding as their club is now in what is basically the Championship

It would have been London's second highest crowd in their last Super League season if that many had turned up. They got 1,002 against Catalans. Paris got 500 against Sheffield for the lowest ever crowd

So who would fund all these full time teams? Would some of the existing SL owners reduce their funding as their club is now in what is basically the Championship

About £25 million is given to the top 20 teams currently, if the top 10 each took the £1.8m that leaves £700k each for the next 10 without any extra funding. That should allow any club in SL2 to spend over £1m and the ambitious a lot more.

It would have been London's second highest crowd in their last Super League season if that many had turned up. They got 1,002 against Catalans. Paris got 500 against Sheffield for the lowest ever crowd

Quite comical that the defence on page two of the discussion is already justifying against other teams attendances. Let's hope it's not the stat we can use in three years time about Salfords last season in Super League.

Salford on the pitch are doing okay. As others have asked how are the off field departments doing? Is the location right? Is the time and day right? Would a Sunday afternoon kick off see a higher level of local crowd attending? Would an early Saturday evening improve it? Was it just easier to stand in the local watching the football on TV rather than making the 10 minute journey to the ground.

It does perhaps provide an example of how dependent a lot of teams are on their neighbours bringing a large following. A lot of Premiership football teams have home games graded where the guaranteed big attractions are priced in one bracket and lesser attractions priced accordingly deliberately to encourage more people to attend. Poor marketing, poor image in the local community, little engagement? Just a Salford issue or a collective issue for all of Rugby League. I am afraid it's the latter.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Archived