1984 Great Britain Lions v Auckland

Would anyone be able to list the Auckland team that played the 1984 Lions at Carlaw Park?

Auckland 18 GB 16 - July 31 1984

Teams:

GB: Burke, Drummond, Hanley, Mumby, Basnett, Donlan, Gregory, Rayne, Noble, Goodway, Hobbs, Proctor, Flanagan. Subs: Smith, ? (Not used)

Auckland: Williams, Ropati, Bell, O'Regan, Lovett, Cooper, Friend, Cowan, Hooker, K Tamati, Ackland, Howells, Wright

In 1977 Auckland defeated Australia, Great Britain and France in the same year.... not a bad achievement at all.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Auckland 18 GB 16 - July 31 1984

Teams:

GB: Burke, Drummond, Hanley, Mumby, Basnett, Donlan, Gregory, Rayne, Noble, Goodway, Hobbs, Proctor, Flanagan. Subs: Smith, ? (Not used)

Auckland: Williams, Ropati, Bell, O'Regan, Lovett, Cooper, Friend, Cowan, Hooker, K Tamati, Ackland, Howells, Wright

Quite a few recognisable names from that Auckland team... an impressive line up.

Who is the hooker called Hooker - I have never heard of him before?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Quite a few recognisable names from that Auckland team... an impressive line up.

Who is the hooker called Hooker - I have never heard of him before?

Don't shoot the messenger the info was from an old Rothman's book. Think it was TJ Hooker (one for the oldies)

TJ-Hooker.jpg

Don't shoot the messenger the info was from an old Rothman's book. Think it was TJ Hooker (one for the oldies)

TJ-Hooker.jpg

I remember TJ Hooker very well.... guess I'm one of the oldies!  Damn

Let's face it, if you were a young fella in the mid-1980s you weren't watching that show for Captain Kirk.

Can't deny that as I am a Trekkie at heart.

Although Heather Locklear was a bonus and one reason for watching (as was Catherine Bach as Daisy in Dukes of Hazzard and Heather Thomas as Jody Banks in The Fall Guy)!

But I digress.

I've got some mid-eighties New Zealand Rugby League annuals at home, so I could check, but I reckon it was probably Lindsay Hooker, who took part in the '87 Auckland tour to GB. Only sticks in my mind because he was called hooker and played at no. 9...

I've got some mid-eighties New Zealand Rugby League annuals at home, so I could check, but I reckon it was probably Lindsay Hooker, who took part in the '87 Auckland tour to GB. Only sticks in my mind because he was called hooker and played at no. 9...

Thanks Jon

Here's some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_Zealand_rugby_league_season

Quote - Auckland were coached by Bob Bailey and included; Darrell Williams, Cedric Lovett, Dean Bell, captain Ron O'Regan, Joe Ropati, Shane Cooper, Clayton Friend, Kevin Tamati, Lindsay Hooker, Ricky Cowan, John Ackland, Steve Howells and Owen Wright.

Bench: Afi Ah Kuoi and John Zwart.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Was that why GB lost 3-0 against the Aussies and then the same against the Kiwis? :tongue:  Our worst ever tour. Garry Schofield as a teenager scored one of the greatest GB tries ever in the Brisbane test, easy to forget what a great player he was.

Archived