Brexit the positive thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't say if the government have made any financial promises or not, but still good news: Nissan to build new models in Sunderland

Obviously we don't know what deals were made with the government behind closed doors but big business tend to make strategic, long term decisions based on facts and cold hard economic data unlike the markets.

This is good news not just for Sunderland but also for the UK motor industry. I'm sure this decision will be considered by the other big industries as part of their future planning.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Economy grew by 0.5% since the Brexit vote, which is more than the 0.3% forecast by economists and more than the 0.4% it grew in the first quarter of the year.  According to the ONS big chief interviewed by the BBC, and in spite of all efforts by the BBC interviewer to turn this news into bad news, this is a very normal quarter performance based on UK economic performance over the last two years.  Ditto for each sector.

Just on the news - The UK economy has grow faster than expected in the three months after the Brexit vote, official figures have indicated.

The economy expanded by 0.5% in the July-to-September period, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That was slower than the 0.7% rate in the previous quarter, but stronger than analysts' estimates of about 0.3%.

"There is little evidence of a pronounced effect of Brexit in the immediate aftermath of the vote," the ONS said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37786467

Nissan chooses Sunderland for new Qashqai and XTrail

I wonder what government assurances/inducements they were given? I'm sure the other automotive manufacturers will want to know and they can find out by threatening to leave.

Of course, subsidising businesses could be limited depending how far we are planning (or not) to access the single market. Hard Brexit would enable us to subsidise companies, except that all future trade deals may then be affected. I'm looking forward to seeing how we get on with making a deal with China.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Economy grew by 0.5% since the Brexit vote, which is more than the 0.3% forecast by economists and more than the 0.4% it grew in the first quarter of the year. According to the ONS big chief interviewed by the BBC, and in spite of all efforts by the BBC interviewer to turn this news into bad news, this is a very normal quarter performance based on UK economic performance over the last two years. Ditto for each sector.

As you insist on pointing out on the negative Brexit thread

It hasn't happened yet therefore any growth in the economy can only be as a result of being in the EU

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/27/ftse-100-falters-and-pound-hovers-at-122-as-uk-gdp-figures-to-sh/

The economy has grown since the Brexit vote and the boost for manufacturing continues and the pound gets even more competitive.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/27/ftse-100-falters-and-pound-hovers-at-122-as-uk-gdp-figures-to-sh/

The economy has grown since the Brexit vote and the boost for manufacturing continues and the pound gets even more competitive.

It's grown but the growth has slowed down. The weak pound should have helped the growth. Economies are complex and dynamic systems which is why no single person, country or trading block can ever truly control them.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

It's grown but the growth has slowed down. The weak pound should have helped the growth. Economies are complex and dynamic systems which is why no single person, country or trading block can ever truly control them.

I direct you to the negative thread:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=289083&p=3425918

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

This should be on the non-existent neutral thread.

Slowed down from when?  From Q2?  Yes.  From Q1?  No.  Growth in Q1 was 0.4%.  So it's better than Q1 but worse than Q2. According to the ONS it's within normal range for the last two years.

Slowed down from when?  From Q2?  Yes.  From Q1?  No.  Growth in Q1 was 0.4%.  So it's better than Q1 but worse than Q2. According to the ONS it's within normal range for the last two years.

And as Brexit hasn't happened yet it must be because we are in the EU.

Did it originate in the EU or was it a US  problem originally?

Just asking.

Not sure actually.  Not sure whether it was a US problem originally.  Didn't Northern Rock go bust before the American big guns caved?  It seemed to happen pretty quickly all over the place.  We heard a lot about America but then we always do.

Either way, it happened while we were in the EU and the EU sunk along with everyone else.  If people are going to make out a growth in Q3 2016 is because we are still in the EU then they have to also take the lower growth in Q1, the banking crash, and all sorts of other less positive things given we were in the EU while all of these things happened.

Ford have announced they have no plans to move out of the UK. They have gone ahead with a £100 million investment in an engine plant.

They point out that they have been here for a hundred years and have " thousands more employees than Nissan" in the UK.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Ford have announced they have no plans to move out of the UK. They have gone ahead with a £100 million investment in an engine plant.

They point out that they have been here for a hundred years and have " thousands more employees than Nissan" in the UK.

Did Ford ever threaten to leave, pre brexit vote?  I don't remember them doing so but it seems a long time ago now so they may well have done.

Good on them anyway for announcing they are staying.  Announcements such as these always help counter the general hysteria elsewhere. 

Not sure actually.  Not sure whether it was a US problem originally.  Didn't Northern Rock go bust before the American big guns caved?  It seemed to happen pretty quickly all over the place.  We heard a lot about America but then we always do.

Either way, it happened while we were in the EU and the EU sunk along with everyone else.  If people are going to make out a growth in Q3 2016 is because we are still in the EU then they have to also take the lower growth in Q1, the banking crash, and all sorts of other less positive things given we were in the EU while all of these things happened.

It was most definitely the US and goes back to the liberating of the financial markets there in the late 1970s. What followed was years of greed and increasing insanity where everyone was blinded to the chaos that was coming. Northern Rock was a early victim of the effects of the sub-prime mortgage collapse.

Ford has been gradually "leaving" the UK for many years. Ford's main european car plants are in Germany - Saarlouis and Spain - Valencia.. Halewood is now owned by JLR and makes the Evoque

And hasn't looked back since. What was once a by word for all that was bad about the British motor industry is now a model of efficiency and quality.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Griff are you a glass half full or empty person ? . I think you need your own thread , you could call it -I will pi-- my pants(with exitment) when the wheels fall ofdf the Britsh economy - You could even keep the same named thread if the economy grows .

Griff are you a glass half full or empty person ? . I think you need your own thread , you could call it -I will pi-- my pants(with exitment) when the wheels fall ofdf the Britsh economy - You could even keep the same named thread if the economy grows .

I find him reasonable.  I am sorry it upsets you that someone has a different outlook.

Archived