Brexit the positive thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The services sector grew again in the third quarter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38207477

Our textile industry has been growing over the last year but at a greater pace since the referendum. (That was on the BBC TV news this morning but I can't find it on their website)

You do know stuff like this happens as the result of possibly years of planning and effort and not on a whim? The British textile revival is one of those, the people behind it have been working on it for 3 or 4 years.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

You do know stuff like this happens as the result of possibly years of planning and effort and not on a whim? The British textile revival is one of those, the people behind it have been working on it for 3 or 4 years.

Oh really?  Well I wouldn't have guessed!  I clearly needed you, who knows and sees everything, to enlighten me.

However, the point was made on BBC Breakfast this morning, that the textile industry in the UK has been growing faster since the referendum than it had been doing previously.

And incidentally, we have never lost the textile industry.  It's been in retreat for about 30 years until the last 12 months or so.

Oh really? Well I wouldn't have guessed! I clearly needed you, who knows and sees everything, to enlighten me.

However, the point was made on BBC Breakfast this morning, that the textile industry in the UK has been growing faster since the referendum than it had been doing previously.

And incidentally, we have never lost the textile industry. It's been in retreat for about 30 years until the last 12 months or so.

I'll take that as a compliment. :D :d :D

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/07/brexit-article-50-mps-vote-supreme-court-pmqs-live/

Article 50 bill gets through Parliament.  Turns out is was not that much of an issue.  

Some people proclaiming such a thing the death of democracy feel vindicated.  As they are stupid.  Others might accept it was a storm in a teacup and should have happened all along.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/07/brexit-article-50-mps-vote-supreme-court-pmqs-live/

Article 50 bill gets through Parliament.  Turns out is was not that much of an issue.  

Some people proclaiming such a thing the death of democracy feel vindicated.  As they are stupid.  Others might accept it was a storm in a teacup and should have happened all along.

It got through because of the other half of the motion: the plan.  It wouldn't have gotten through at all had Theresa May not inserted the amendment in the first place!

And besides, neither vote is binding.

I'm sure that parliament voted the way it always would will mean Gina Miller will now stop getting death threats.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It got through because of the other half of the motion: the plan. It wouldn't have gotten through at all had Theresa May not inserted the amendment in the first place!

And besides, neither vote is binding.

Ah but surely it is given that was clearly the intent when they voted by six to one to pass it. Hmmm, where have I heard that before. ;)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The cost of living is not less in Liverpool than where I am living in California.  And I live in the valley, not somewhere daft like San Francisco or LA.  This means I am not shopping for stuff while in the USA, but waiting until I can get it cheaper in the UK.

This Liberal Elite person is doing quite nicely from Leave.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I'm sure that parliament voted the way it always would will mean Gina Miller will now stop getting death threats.

Unlikely, despite this. Man jailed for harassing Labour MP Luciana Berger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38249351

The police need to pursue these people to the ends of the earth and the judiciary need to impose much harsher penalties than 2 years.

Ah but surely it is given that was clearly the intent when they voted by six to one to pass it. Hmmm, where have I heard that before. ;)

Um, the Referendum Act is a piece of legislation and so is legally binding.  Yesterday was just a show of hands.  Although it was interesting to see how the MPs with leave voting constituencies voted.

Unlikely, despite this. Man jailed for harassing Labour MP Luciana Berger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38249351

The police need to pursue these people to the ends of the earth and the judiciary need to impose much harsher penalties than 2 years.

He's a serial offender.  As soon as I saw the name I knew who it was.  He has a long long history (not all right wing), part troll, part fantasist.  He's now being held up by some (very small) quarters as some sort of free speech martyr. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

He's a serial offender.  As soon as I saw the name I knew who it was.  He has a long long history (not all right wing), part troll, part fantasist.  He's now being held up by some (very small) quarters as some sort of free speech martyr. 

The bit in bold amused me, but I know what you mean.

I did not know him; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Bonehill-Paine

The historian Niall Ferguson campaigned for Remain, but has now seen the error of his ways.

"My mistake was uncritically defending Cameron and Osborne instead of listening to people in pubs"

Blimey. If we followed policies based on stuff people said in pubs we really would be living in an interesting world!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

"My mistake was uncritically defending Cameron and Osborne instead of listening to people in pubs"

Blimey. If we followed policies based on stuff people said in pubs we really would be living in an interesting world!

Are there many pubs in Harvard?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

McDonald's is going ahead moving its global HQ from Luxembourg to Britain. The treasury will gain hundreds of millions in corporation tax from McDonald's non US business.

The move was planned before the Brexit vote but the company sees no reason to alter its plans as a result.

From our Bete Noir today's Daily Mail.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

McDonald's is going ahead moving its global HQ from Luxembourg to Britain. The treasury will gain hundreds of millions in corporation tax from McDonald's non US business.

The move was planned before the Brexit vote but the company sees no reason to alter its plans as a result.

From our Bete Noir today's Daily Mail.

Saw that.  Seems to be a direct response to the EU questioning the levels of state aid they're receiving in Luxembourg.  I'd say Brexit will have made it more likely for them to move here.

Britain becoming more like its overseas dependencies with each passing day.

If we started taking what Niall Ferguson had to say seriously we would be living in an interesting world.

If we started taking what Niall Ferguson had to say seriously we would be living in an interesting world.

Ferguson is a Professor of History at Harvard and he's a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, Oxford.

So I think it's fairly safe to say that some people do take him seriously.

Ferguson is a Professor of History at Harvard and he's a Senior Research Fellow of Jesus College, Oxford.

So I think it's fairly safe to say that some people do take him seriously.

An out of touch academic "expert".

I think we've had quite enough of them.

You're agreeing with what he says of himself.

So we both agree his opinion can be discounted.

Especially now.

Archived