Brexit the positive thread

From London Stock Exchange weekly report published today -

'The London market has stepped up after the Bank of England said the UK showed "no clear signs" of a sharp economic slowdown following the Brexit vote.

The FTSE 100 Index closed above the 6,700 mark, up 31.62 points to 6728.99, after a report by the Bank's agents said there was little sign of employment and investment being hit in the short term by Britain's exit from the European Union.

The rise on London's top flight came as sterling regained some ground thanks to a strong set of employment figures for the UK. 

The pound was 0.5% higher against the dollar at 1.317 US dollars following another fall in unemployment and a record number of people in work.

The employment rate reached a record high of 74.4%, with 31.7 million people in work in the three months to May - 176,000 more than the previous quarter.

A total of 1.65 million people are unemployed, a fall of 54,000 over the quarter and 201,000 compared with a year ago, giving a jobless rate of 4.9%.

But the claimant count, including those on Jobseeker's Allowance, increased by 400 last month to 759,100, the fourth consecutive monthly rise.

The pound also rose against the euro, up 0.6% to 1.196 euros. 

European markets were enjoying a strong session, with Germany's Dax surging 1.6% and the Cac 40 in France lifting 1.1% ahead of the European Central Bank's meeting on Thursday. 

The price of oil was up 0.8% to 47.05 US dollars a barrel after the American government reported declines in crude inventory for the ninth week in a row. 

In stocks, financial firms and house builders all made gains after taking a battering in the aftermath of the referendum result. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the recruitment consultants the Reed Group the number of job listings for the three weeks after 23 June was 150,000 up on the same period last year.

It's getting harder and harder to identify the economic collapse we were promised by the Remain campaign.

Not sure if this is true, got sent it by a mate

13728990_1215225408496168_90057200980711

List of National Policy areas the Scottish parliament has no say in at all (under the Scotland Act);

• the constitution
  • foreign affairs
  • defence
  • international development
  • the Civil Service
  • financial and economic matters
  • immigration and nationality
  • misuse of drugs
  • trade and industry
  • aspects of energy regulation (eg electricity, coal, oil and gas and nuclear energy)
  • aspects of transport (eg regulation of air services, rail and international shipping)
  • employment
  • social security
  • abortion, genetics, surrogacy, medicines
  • broadcasting
  • equal opportunities

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

According to the recruitment consultants the Reed Group the number of job listings for the three weeks after 23 June was 150,000 up on the same period last year.

It's getting harder and harder to identify the economic collapse we were promised by the Remain campaign.

A Chinese company has announced it is to invest £1 billion in Sheffield, how terrible.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Isn't it funny how the different camps report the same piece of news. 

Here it is from The Express -

Officials are facing a humiliating climbdown after claiming Britain would face a recession if the country opted to leave the European Union.

But now the IMF expects the British economy to grow by 1.7 per cent this year and 1.3 per cent in 2017.

IMF managing director Christine Lagarde, said Brexit would be “very very bad” for Britain but latest forecasts now suggest otherwise.

She later admitted the IMF “got it wrong” over its forecast.

And the same piece of news in The Independent -

IMF slashes UK growth outlook in wake of shock European Union referendum vote.

The IMF now says it expects the UK to grow by 1.7 per cent this year, down from the 1.9 per cent it forecast in April, and the forecast for 2017 is just 1.3 per cent, down from 2.2 per cent previously.

Would you find me the post that predicted complete economic collapse within a month?  The drop in the pound was dramatic and the huge injection of cash, I did not realize Armageddon was predicted by anyone on here?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Boeing have confirmed plans to relocate their European training, servicing and maintenance hub to the UK which will see them invest over £150m and create 2,000 new jobs.

Boeing have confirmed plans to relocate their European training, servicing and maintenance hub to the UK which will see them invest over £150m and create 2,000 new jobs.

There is a big chemical company - IOS? - which used to be based in Britain.  An announcement was made by them this week that they are going to relocate their HQ and other manufacturing from Switzerland back to the UK.

There is a big chemical company - IOS? - which used to be based in Britain. An announcement was made by them this week that they are going to relocate their HQ and other manufacturing from Switzerland back to the UK.

INEOS that is, they own the big chemical plant at Weston Point in Runcorn.

Isn't it funny how the different camps report the same piece of news. 

Here it is from The Express -

Officials are facing a humiliating climbdown after claiming Britain would face a recession if the country opted to leave the European Union.

But now the IMF expects the British economy to grow by 1.7 per cent this year and 1.3 per cent in 2017.

IMF managing director Christine Lagarde, said Brexit would be “very very bad” for Britain but latest forecasts now suggest otherwise.

She later admitted the IMF “got it wrong” over its forecast.

And the same piece of news in The Independent -

IMF slashes UK growth outlook in wake of shock European Union referendum vote.

The IMF now says it expects the UK to grow by 1.7 per cent this year, down from the 1.9 per cent it forecast in April, and the forecast for 2017 is just 1.3 per cent, down from 2.2 per cent previously.

The growth figures are worse for 2017 and 2018 than they would have been, but very little difference from 2019 onwards. I think if we can sign a diverse range of free trade policies then we will do better in the long run than in the EU.

But yeah very interesting methods of reporting from two of the most biased newspapers. The fact that our economy will still grow faster than Germany's and France's is telling

Is that to support the P-8 Poseidon? The deal which we are paying them £3bn?  And from that they will spend £100m sorting out the UK support facilities? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Is that to support the P-8 Poseidon? The deal which we are paying them £3bn?  And from that they will spend £100m sorting out the UK support facilities? 

Sorry this is the positive thread.  I posted without thinking.  Yay for Boeing investing taxpayers money in the UK.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The Head of the German Federation of Employers Assoc in Metal and Engineering has called on Britain to be allowed to restrict immigration without any barriers to trade. They sell more than 55 billion Euros worth of goods to us and he doesn't want that damaged.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The Head of the German Federation of Employers Assoc in Metal and Engineering has called on Britain to be allowed to restrict immigration without any barriers to trade. They sell more than 55 billion Euros worth of goods to us and he doesn't want that damaged.

The EU will tell him where to stick that. And I do not blame the EU.

Are you sure? How can you be sure, there are no EU rules to prevent it once we've brexited. It's a rough old world out there, look at Dover.

Because power lies with the Germans in the EU.

Mrs Merkel rather than Mr Juncker will be the one making the key decisions, which is why Theresa May went to see her first last week.

If German industrialists want to keep selling goods to the British market they will have to comply with what we require, which includes restricted free movement.

The Belgians will be the hard ones to win over. There's no point negotiating with the French until after their next election as Hollande will get wiped out. Pretty much every other country would want to continue trading with us, though Spain may be tricky

Because power lies with the Germans in the EU.

Mrs Merkel rather than Mr Juncker will be the one making the key decisions, which is why Theresa May went to see her first last week.

If German industrialists want to keep selling goods to the British market they will have to comply with what we require, which includes restricted free movement.

Are you sure? If  I were you I would be disinclined to be so smug. To quote you from another thread.

Archived