Brexit the positive thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long will the stalemate have to continue before brexiteers become jumpy: Britain may not be ready to trigger article 50 by April, says Malta’s PM

As Saintslass says, our "true friends" are staying silent on the issue, not putting the knife in.

On that thread I asked who those true friends were: I don't think I got an answer. If Malta isn't one, we are in trouble.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As Saintslass says, our "true friends" are staying silent on the issue, not putting the knife in.

On that thread I asked who those true friends were: I don't think I got an answer. If Malta isn't one, we are in trouble.

The Irish have said there's no way we can negotiate a proper deal inside two years from A50 notification so the EU should only focus on offering a transitional arrangement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Irish have said there's no way we can negotiate a proper deal inside two years from A50 notification so the EU should only focus on offering a transitional arrangement.

The Irish are our competitors and they're also terrified of us leaving because we are their biggest market by a country mile.  It is likely their PM will do and say anything to keep us in the EU because of the cost to them if we leave, not least if we lower our corporation tax to anything like their level which of course would mean they no longer undercut everyone else.

The Irish are our competitors and they're also terrified of us leaving because we are their biggest market by a country mile. It is likely their PM will do and say anything to keep us in the EU because of the cost to them if we leave, not least if we lower our corporation tax to anything like their level which of course would mean they no longer undercut everyone else.

We could cut our corporation tax whenever; nowt to do with the EU. Just as, erm, the Irish have.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

A corperation tax war? There's nothing like a race to the bottom to boost a countries economy is there! Another winner from the Brexit brains trust. :fie:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The Irish are our competitors and they're also terrified of us leaving because we are their biggest market by a country mile.  It is likely their PM will do and say anything to keep us in the EU because of the cost to them if we leave, not least if we lower our corporation tax to anything like their level which of course would mean they no longer undercut everyone else.

They're also no doubt worried that if the EU start getting arsey and demanding all manner of severance payments then we'll call in all the Billions in loans we gave to Ireland and risk crippling their economy overnight without. The EU would then have to bail them out forcing massive Greek style austerity cuts on the Republic in return for cash.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

They're also no doubt worried that if the EU start getting arsey and demanding all manner of severance payments then we'll call in all the Billions in loans we gave to Ireland and risk crippling their economy overnight without. The EU would then have to bail them out forcing massive Greek style austerity cuts on the Republic in return for cash.

Indeed.

Indeed.  But my point was that we are competitors once we are out of the EU.

We are competitors in the EU, we set our taxes and that is in competition to other EU countries. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Toppy, tell us about those billions of loans.

Good to know that the US still wants us to be at the front of the queue for a trade deal: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/26/boost-uk-us-trade-deal-emerges-paul-ryan-backs-new-agreement/

Genuine question, but do the timescales fit for a trade deal to be agreed with the US within Trumps first term of office?

Reading conflicting reports on if we can or can't start negotiations pre actual brexit.

Genuine question, but do the timescales fit for a trade deal to be agreed with the US within Trumps first term of office?

Reading conflicting reports on if we can or can't start negotiations pre actual brexit.

According to the discussions I've been listening to on the Parliament Channel of late (a much, much better source of Brexit stuff than the meeja), we can talk turkey all we want as long as we don't sign anything. 

The key is getting out of the EU before Trump leaves office!

According to the discussions I've been listening to on the Parliament Channel of late (a much, much better source of Brexit stuff than the meeja), we can talk turkey all we want as long as we don't sign anything. 

Sorry if this is obvious, but why the need to get out before Trump leaves office?  This is a little surprising from an American outlook.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Trump is on a path of you only get a trade deal if the USA is going to win win win, he is the last person you want to be negotiating with.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Trump is on a path of you only get a trade deal if the USA is going to win win win, he is the last person you want to be negotiating with.

Its quite strange that brexiteers who want the UK to be at the centre of the worlds free trade are pinning hopes on someone who has openly promised to break free trade deals, has expressed isolationist views and will only sign deals that are great for one country.  Strange times.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Its quite strange that brexiteers who want the UK to be at the centre of the worlds free trade are pinning hopes on someone who has openly promised to break free trade deals, has expressed isolationist views and will only sign deals that are great for one country. Strange times.

I think it's called "clutching at straws".

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Its quite strange that brexiteers who want the UK to be at the centre of the worlds free trade are pinning hopes on someone who has openly promised to break free trade deals, has expressed isolationist views and will only sign deals that are great for one country.  Strange times.

That's not what Trump has said at all. He's very much Pro-trade deals but what he's firmly against is any sort of free trade deal that allows one particular country to be able to massively undercut US made goods. He wants to rip up the North American deal not because of Canada but because of Mexico. Similarly he's going to pull out of their Asia deal, not because he doesn't want to trade with the likes of Australia & NZ but because of the 'poor' countries that are part of that deal who can make goods for a fraction of the price. That's also why's he's talking about imposing tariffs on China. The TTIP deal will also be pretty much dead in the water without all the changes he wants because of the threat of cheap goods coming from the East European countries

Trump's only interested in free trade deals with countries who's economies are broadly aligned with theirs and who's costs of goods & services are similar, thus not posing a threat to those in the US. Britain very much fits the bill of countries he want's free trade deals with.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Not true.  He is only against trade deals which threaten American business; a trade deal with the UK wouldn't do that simply because we aren't big enough.  He and the leader of Congress have both confirmed that the Trump administration is still interested in setting up a trade deal with the UK.

Not true.  He is only against trade deals which threaten American business; a trade deal with the UK wouldn't do that simply because we aren't big enough.  He and the leader of Congress have both confirmed that the Trump administration is still interested in setting up a trade deal with the UK.

Does this still apply if Farage doesn't get made ambassador?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived