Brexit the positive thread

no one is really interested in the truth.

I presume this is why Downing Street has decided to brief European papers separately so there is a chance that the EU can get a British viewpoint not distorted by papers such as The Sun, which has now been confirmed as being part of the official Leave campaign.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Construction on the up, including resumption of projects put on hold after the referendum:

Construction sector beats forecasts

Posted at 09:32 Breaking

Activity in Britain's construction industry improved during November.  

The Markit/CIPS construction PMI figure edged up to 52.8 from 52.6 in October, helped by improved readings for commercial activity, as well as solid growth in house building.

Economists had forecast a reading of 52.2.

(from the BBC website's rolling business coverage)

Every time the forum misreports or misrepresents various ministers, me and other former remainers are that bit more convinced of the case.

Who knew this forum had that power.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Every time the forum misreports or misrepresents various ministers, me and other former remainers are that bit more convinced of the case.

And you would feel exactly the same way if we were talking about Labour ministers if they were doing the same things. Of course you would. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Pubs opened early in Lincolnshire today.

What has pushed me over the great divide has been the whinging,whining, moaning and threats from the EU gravy trainers and functionaries reflected by so many EU groupies in the UK. Man up, lads, the streets of Brussels and Strasbourg are only paved with brass.

All this nonsense about paying for access to the single market. We already pay for access through our contributions. When we leave, well pay through tariffs. Negotiation means playing hardball. Not a job for pro EU Whitehall appeasers.

All this nonsense about paying for access to the single market. We already pay for access through our contributions. When we leave, well pay through tariffs. Negotiation means playing hardball. Not a job for pro EU Whitehall appeasers.

I think we need people on this thread to be clear about the difference between access to the single market (which the whole world minus North Korea and similar pariahs has) and being part of the single market (which all members of the EEA have.) They're not the same thing at all, the consequences on companies and jobs are different and people are talking at cross purposes as a result. There's no scenario where we lose access to the single market.

What has pushed me over the great divide has been the whinging,whining, moaning and threats from the EU gravy trainers and functionaries reflected by so many EU groupies in the UK. Man up, lads, the streets of Brussels and Strasbourg are only paved with brass.

Are you living in a so-called echo chamber? Plenty of whinging, whining, moaning and threats from the leave gravy trainers and functionaries in both the the open press and my cohort of friends. Everyone is at it and shows much split this nation is due to the referendum.

Up date on my family and friends work load , everyone still flat out across the board . Builder friend got work booked in until may next year , having to turn work away . This is the Hull/ East Yorks area .

I assume your friends and family are Poles, Romanians etc, because my understanding is that they get all the jobs and the honest Brits can't get a look in.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

So by leaving the EU it will stop the migrants that you are all so petrified of, entering our glorious country, that has no migrants in it? There is a word that rhymes with cat, and begins with T that describes you if you really beleive this.

and now this:Announcing the shortlist, which is chosen by Time editors, the magazine said: “As head of the UK Independence Party, Farage was a face of the successful campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, positioning the referendum as the start of a global populist wave against the political establishment.”  Others on the shortlist include Hillary Clinton, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Mark Zuckerberg, Olympic gold medal-winning gymnast Simone Biles, and Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/05/nigel-farage-shortlisted-for-time-magazines-person-of-the-year-award

and now this:Announcing the shortlist, which is chosen by Time editors, the magazine said: “As head of the UK Independence Party, Farage was a face of the successful campaign for Britain to leave the European Union, positioning the referendum as the start of a global populist wave against the political establishment.”  Others on the shortlist include Hillary Clinton, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Mark Zuckerberg, Olympic gold medal-winning gymnast Simone Biles, and Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/05/nigel-farage-shortlisted-for-time-magazines-person-of-the-year-award

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760539,00.html

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19570107,00.html

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19310105,00.html

and if Hilary Clinton wins?  She is leading in the polls.

its possible that not everyone understands the criteria, of course.

I understand it well enough. It's why I wouldn't have a problem if the golf club bore won.

I just found the link with earlier incarnations of fascism amusing and compelling.

Government will publish Brexit plans before a parliamentary vote on Article 50 because they have, belatedly, decided to ignore the Brains Trust of the 'have they never played poker' negotiation crew.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-agrees-to-publish-brexit-plans-before-triggering-article-50-in-major-uturn-a3413821.html

Government will publish Brexit plans before a parliamentary vote on Article 50 because they have, belatedly, decided to ignore the Brains Trust of the 'have they never played poker' negotiation crew.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-may-agrees-to-publish-brexit-plans-before-triggering-article-50-in-major-uturn-a3413821.html

Nice to see that we do have an effective opposition after all, even if they do sit on the same side of the chamber as the government.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Nice to see that we do have an effective opposition after all, even if they do sit on the same side of the chamber as the government.

You think?  I'd say May has it all wrapped up. There were no specifics in the motion, nor in the government's concession to it.  But May gets to learn who will oppose and who will back invoking Article 50.  I reckon it's always good to know your opponents.

Archived