Club running risk of losing players?

christheram

Stand to be corrected, but I believe Jeff Yoward was what used to be termed a "powderhall" Sprinter.....or something like that. Think his last game for Dewsbury was the semi-final against Bradford in 1973...............being replaced by Terry Day for the rest of that season.

Pretty sure he went coaching at Hanging Heaton for a while. Geoff Marsh did go to Batley and I think had a few seasons there.

Always remember Willie Walker scoring two or three tries away to York on a baking hot day -- but that must be late sixties ?

Others I enjoyed watching, but not necessarily fast : Gary Mitchell - Sean Dunford - Bryn Powell - Johnny Moore - Michael Hunt (probably THE slowest) - John Hegarty and, of course, Austin Buchanan. There'll be many others but these spring readily to mind for varying reasons.

Ah nostalgia!!  John Hegarty ... fastest man ever over 10 yards ...  then he tied up !!  but he had some devastating impact in those 10 yards .... we could do with a half back like him now!! 

I also see Radio Yorkshire are reporting the Bulls could be heading for administration .... offer Walshaw a deal now!! ..... he seems to really enjoy playing for us!!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michael Hunt was a prop surely? And John Heggarty could beat any man into the bookies.

Why is no-one mentioning Johnny Moore?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Johnny Moore, the 'sidewinder', covered a lot of ground yet rarely got anywhere.

Michael Hunte was definitely not a prop, but I cannot recall his position. He was a good cricketer and played for Soothill in the CYL.

John Hegarty, a stand off acquired from Leeds once beat his former club in the Yorkshire Cup, by playing on the wing and racing up the main stand side for the winning try..

Jeff Yowerd was indeed a former Powderhall sprinter.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Good luck to him .... I have really enjoyed watching him, a great finisher!!  but does seem to have lost a bit of pace this year .. seen him run down at least twice this year when he wouldn't have been a couple of years ago.. perhaps he's been carrying an injury..

Who would we want to replace him? 

Rob worrincy. Yes suspect to the high ball but id take a chance on him if available.

Johnny Moore, the 'sidewinder', covered a lot of ground yet rarely got anywhere.

Michael Hunte was definitely not a prop, but I cannot recall his position. He was a good cricketer and played for Soothill in the CYL.

John Hegarty, a stand off acquired from Leeds once beat his former club in the Yorkshire Cup, by playing on the wing and racing up the main stand side for the winning try..

Agree with Jeff Yoward he was a former Powderhall sprinter, and scored a good try or two for us ...  but not as fast as Geoff Marsh .... Michael Hunte .. I think played on the wing but always had a bandage around his leg  ... went on to be assistant coach ( water carrier)  I think ...Jon Hegarty in my memory came from Wakefield and did indeed score a try against them on the wing in the cup!!   ... but its years ago .. it might have been Leeds... I'll have to get the old scrapbooks out... I have a picture of him diving in at the corner!... I was stood behind the posts at the scoreboard end can remember it in slow motion ..hegarty using that devastating pace over 10 yards ...  it was reported as a tactical master stroke! 

We have always lost players but lost players are a new players opportunity ... 

Bulls heading for administration, well it would either have been them or Fev depending who lost that game. Halifax should be okay assuming they didn't waste last seasons money. Not sure what's happening at Sheffield, but can't be good.

MS policy of not spending money we don't have means we will never get promoted but hopefully should be enough to keep us in CC.

Steve Nash is a lightweight - didn't even notice him when he played for Swinton. DG scored tries that Morton wouldn't have got near scoring, although given the amount of ball he received it's a wonder he scored as many as he did - he must have felt like Billy no mates at times...yes:

Spot on Grumpy... Spends most of the match with his left arm in the air trying to remind our playmakers he exists.

Had barely a sniff since Seymour left...top finisher who will do well in a decent team ....not as fast as some but otherwise a top winger...

Stand to be corrected, but I believe Jeff Yoward was what used to be termed a "powderhall" Sprinter.....or something like that. Think his last game for Dewsbury was the semi-final against Bradford in 1973...............being replaced by Terry Day for the rest of that season.

Pretty sure he went coaching at Hanging Heaton for a while. Geoff Marsh did go to Batley and I think had a few seasons there.

Always remember Willie Walker scoring two or three tries away to York on a baking hot day -- but that must be late sixties ?

Others I enjoyed watching, but not necessarily fast : Gary Mitchell - Sean Dunford - Bryn Powell - Johnny Moore - Michael Hunt (probably THE slowest) - John Hegarty and, of course, Austin Buchanan. There'll be many others but these spring readily to mind for varying reasons.

After Johnny Moore our most entertaining wingers by a street mile were Eddie Rombo and Dennis Bailey. Dennis might have been close to being one of our fastest if he hadn't needed 20 metres to get going but surely we have few faster than Eddie?

What about eddieee ? To be fair Michael hunt had a disabled leg, which was why he retired - mind he was still faster than some of our recent incumbents  Best combo was the Johnny Walford/Jack Austin combination, which always brings back fond memories.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Its now official just announced by London ....  the first loss is as speculated.... Dalton Grant!!    

Good luck Dalton!!  .... who is next?

I too used to like the Wolford / Austin combo  ....   Wolford breaks the line and passes to  Jack, who's bowed legs used to go at a real pace ...  

When Michael Hunte (father of Alan) came to help us out he certainly played in the forwards, probably because he was lame. He also ended up coaching the team for two games or more when we were in another crisis (real crises in those days) yet doesn't figure at all in the history of the club.

Funny that - I wonder why?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Its now official just announced by London ....  the first loss is as speculated.... Dalton Grant!!    

Good luck Dalton!!  .... who is next?

I too used to like the Wolford / Austin combo  ....   Wolford breaks the line and passes to  Jack, who's bowed legs used to go at a real pace ...  

Legs like parenthesis and couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel, but hard as nails and twice as hard to stop close to the line. Happy days.  :biggrin:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

My ke hunte ahem

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

C u next Tuesday

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

You know some people can't resist the obvious ... no matter how obvious!!! .. I wondered who would be the first!!!

Used to watch both Mike and Alan play cricket for Soothill. I often thought about doing the old telephone call to the clubhouse gag.

Walshaw is being chased by three champ clubs including us. Heard Fev is another.

As for us, we've enquired about a centre who can also play second row, who plays at a lower champ club (lower than us). That's all I know, does anyone know the club? then we can start guess at the player?

Walshaw is being chased by three champ clubs including us. Heard Fev is another.

As for us, we've enquired about a centre who can also play second row, who plays at a lower champ club (lower than us). That's all I know, does anyone know the club? then we can start guess at the player?

Walshaw is a Dewsbury lad ..... if we could get him it would be a real statement of intent!! 

Sounds as though it could be Rhodri Lloyd at Swinton ?? .... I'd have him in my team!

Walshaw is a Dewsbury lad ..... if we could get him it would be a real statement of intent!!

Sounds as though it could be Rhodri Lloyd at Swinton ?? .... I'd have him in my team!

Agree on Walshaw, hopefully he looks for some stability at his hometown club after hardly playing at Bulls would drop in wages from full time to us will be some drop.

Agree on Walshaw, hopefully he looks for some stability at his hometown club after hardly playing at Bulls would drop in wages from full time to us will be some drop.

And there's the rub. A playing career is short at the best of times and they need to get the most out of it, including financially. Our budget will be lower next season and there doesn't yet seem to be a stampede to join Squadbuilder.

And there's the rub. A playing career is short at the best of times and they need to get the most out of it, including financially. Our budget will be lower next season and there doesn't yet seem to be a stampede to join Squadbuilder.

I would have thought given that there will not be a reserve team next year, that the first team squad budget would be just about the same as this year ... my worry is last year we were seen as a progressive aspirational club that players wanted to be at !!   I am not sure we have the same attraction now!!   ... so not withstanding financial implications, how are we now perceived as a career choice....  GM appears to have lost his sparkle!!

Where can I find out more about squad builder, as I would be  more than happy to do my bit1

Archived