Can the Future of Open Age RL be Sustained?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main point of Wilbers is how long do you throw money at failing projects , what business can survive without producing a product people want .

Yes we do need to have clubs like Oxford but they can only prosper from having s solid community base underpinning the project .

After several years of financial support and you only get 35 people watching tells you that that project is not economically sound .

When that money can be better utilised elsewhere .

New clubs should have to serve their apprenticeships by coming through the system and Start at NCL level and work their way through the tiers .

What people have to realise is when you get hard working people working their bits off to promote RL with little or no help and they see a bottom less pit operating to promote failed projects it turns them off the game .

Coventry have also taken players from the amateur game, with the backing of the RFL their A team did not fulfil their fixture Saturday, and I don't see many feeder club results from the regions meaning is there really the interest?

Yes there is but things don't happen overnight. Of course they're going to take players from the amateur game in the short term. Remember this is also giving those players an opportunity and those who work in the Midlands a place to play RL rather than be lost to the game or union

I think the main point of Wilbers is how long do you throw money at failing projects , what business can survive without producing a product people want .

Yes we do need to have clubs like Oxford but they can only prosper from having s solid community base underpinning the project .

After several years of financial support and you only get 35 people watching tells you that that project is not economically sound .

When that money can be better utilised elsewhere .

New clubs should have to serve their apprenticeships by coming through the system and Start at NCL level and work their way through the tiers .

What people have to realise is when you get hard working people working their bits off to promote RL with little or no help and they see a bottom less pit operating to promote failed projects it turns them off the game .

Again you're picking on Oxford which has undoubtedly failed but the other 3 are progressing fine, even if it takes some time to see results on the pitch

It's a bit unfair to pick on Oxford who have not made a great success of turning semi pro. Others such as Coventry and All Golds have shown the way forward and justified that decision to allow them in. You're always going to get the odd failure when this happens. The idea is about widening the player base beyond the heartlands so you get a stronger base. It allows a pathway for people in the Midlands and south west. So to say this decision is the reason for issues with the community game in the north is a bit tenuous

The rugby league would be better off targeting places like Goole, I'm sure they would attract more than 100 supporters for a home game and is in a position to draw on players in every direction, in fact the amateur side I watch gets a bigger crowd during the winter months and at the moment they're a bit off the step.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Coventry have had some crowds higher than Championship clubs who have been around for 100 years but we'll ignore that shall we?

Praise the Lord and pass the concessionary......bumps up the crowds while RFL handouts compensates, I'm sure we are all aware of what's going on.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Yes there is but things don't happen overnight. Of course they're going to take players from the amateur game in the short term. Remember this is also giving those players an opportunity and those who work in the Midlands a place to play RL rather than be lost to the game or union

Sorry but Coventry had to put a sustainable business plan to qualify as a semi pro club and have been promoting the game for a number of seasons it says formed in 1998 if a team in this position cannot regularly find 34 players when I think allowed dual registered players something ain't right, I think 18 years is a little more than one night.

Sorry but Coventry had to put a sustainable business plan to qualify as a semi pro club and have been promoting the game for a number of seasons it says formed in 1998 if a team in this position cannot regularly find 34 players when I think allowed dual registered players something ain't right, I think 18 years is a little more than one night.

And how many super league and championship clubs field reserve teams?

The rugby league would be better off targeting places like Goole, I'm sure they would attract more than 100 supporters for a home game and is in a position to draw on players in every direction, in fact the amateur side I watch gets a bigger crowd during the winter months and at the moment they're a bit off the step.

And what are the pro clubs like Hull and Castleford doing to develop the game in Goole?

And people wonder why no one posts on here with such ignorant bigots around

What business could survive if no one bought its product , no one is picking on Oxford as you put it .

Oxford just highlights the failure in the project planning , my question to you is how long would you keep throwing money ( if it was yours ) at something that clearly is not working ?

You use the word bigot why ?

People are just expressing opinions which are valid and sensible if you can't be open to other people's opinions then don't post simples

And people wonder why no one posts on here with such ignorant bigots around

I hate to think what I would have been called if I hadn't been quoting the truth

And my point is

Do I really care that Germany, Serbia, Malta may be playing a test, that the RL have worldwide associations showing the game is expanding, probably not as most of the time there is very little substance to the games with mainly RU and sports fans giving it ago. Did Russia not have a domestic league a few years ago, is it still on the go?

I worry

• That money is being spent on areas where after years of trying there is still very little growth, Fulham started in London 35 years ago and realistically is the game in that area any further on?
  • The local Elite U16s has once again folded again after losing players to the Pro set up and are now trying to poach players from other local clubs to do the same again and again.
  • The local RU Club Hull Ionians have just received a grant off the East Riding CC for £127,000 to improve their facilities based on the amount of players from the area they have, when 10 miles away Cottingham RL struggle to put together an open age team.
  • Saint Helen's sign a center from Melbourne storm, would it have not been good if that player had been signed from Coventry Bears, Oxford etc.
  • The overseas quota was trying to be reduced then we have emerging nations players and players with European passports, in my view if you cannot play for GB you are a quota player, young lads struggling to get into the system are then disheartened when somebody you ain't even heard of walks through the door. 
  • We have a great product why can we not expand the game? I know a bit of a different slant but Wasps start up at Coventry with 10-20 thousand watching, Coventry Bears I understand not with the same fan base start with 500 and this has reduced over the season but still better than most of the regional clubs, how did the keyboard warriors manage to put the 1 or 2 before the 36?
  • Why was the World Cup legacy allowed to pass us by?
  • Teams like Castleford Panthers, Elland, Hewarth, East Hull and others are struggling to stay in the NCL, West Hull, Castleford Lock Lane struggling for a second OA teams and Under 18s along with a lot of others, this was a "Criteria" of the NCL that had to be followed.
  • I see trouble ahead with the new mini format festival next year rolling out to the under 9's and beyond in further years.

I seriously Worry that the governing body's are ignoring the "State the Game is in"

Coventry have also taken players from the amateur game, with the backing of the RFL their A team did not fulfil their fixture Saturday, and I don't see many feeder club results from the regions meaning is there really the interest?

I'm a fan of expansion but I think there should be strict criteria for any clubs entering league 1. I personally think that teams should only be allowed to step up to the professional ranks if they have a pyramid of community clubs with junior sections below them in their town/city/area. This would encourage potential new clubs to build the sport in their area and engage with potential fans and hopefully help them become self sufficient in producing players.

So withdraw internationally and withdraw to the 3 counties?

Sounds like a plan.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So withdraw internationally and withdraw to the 3 counties?

Sounds like a plan.

Straight on the defensive with no answer to the reams of comments on this post, the Yorkshire Mens League sent an under 23 team recently to play Serbia and beat their so called national team, if you think spending money in area's like this when the game is falling to bits on our own doorstep well so be it.

You may want to comment on the legacy of the world cup if international rugby is your topic?

Straight on the defensive with no answer to the reams of comments on this post, the Yorkshire Mens League sent an under 23 team recently to play Serbia and beat their so called national team, if you think spending money in area's like this when the game is falling to bits on our own doorstep well so be it.

You may want to comment on the legacy of the world cup if international rugby is your topic?

How much are the RFL spending in Serbia?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Ah so you don't know?  But whatever it is it could be better spent?  

No I don't know what is paid to Serbia but have a look at their latest Financial Report even though out of date it appears the RLIF, I know the majority of players paid for themselves on the tour, again you have picked up on one subject I tried to answer your question do you have answers to any of the others?

How do you think they are paying for King Kev? 

http://www.rlif.co.uk/~media/docs/RLIF%20Annual%20Report%202012.pdf

Archived