Tony Smith questions Bennetts path

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he picks Aussies and we win the 4 nations there won't be much of a problem, but if we loose he will get some stick.

I would rather him pick all English born players in his squad.

The aussies have been beating us by using "foreigners" for decades, go for it I say, give them a taste of their own medicine. If we take them by playing their game then maybe we can get them to change to a more sensible approach.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This is all speculation - Bennett has said nothing. Surprised no-one has mentioned that Steve McNamara approached Trent Hodkinson, Daly Cherry-Evans, Chris Heighington et al when he became coach in 2010.He also gave a cap to a Kiwi under the residency rule. Perhaps he didn't sell it very well? But he was English so that was okay.

The aussies have been beating us by using "foreigners" for decades, go for it I say, give them a taste of their own medicine. If we take them by playing their game then maybe we can get them to change to a more sensible approach.

Spot on.

"We need a ruthless coach, who does everything to win.  Someone who doesn't pick players from the usual clubs, but picks the best players no matter what.  Someone like Wayne Bennet."

Gets Wayne Bennett and gives him free reign.

"Whoa whoa whoa..... who is this joker and what is he doing?"

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I personally like to view the Internationals as not just England v Aus/NZ but also as SL v NRL. I always think a win is a good boost for the English domestic game. If we win a series with a team full of NRL based players (especially ones who have never played over here and who only qualify through heritage) I would still be happy, but it just wouldn't feel the same Imo.

This is all speculation - Bennett has said nothing. Surprised no-one has mentioned that Steve McNamara approached Trent Hodkinson, Daly Cherry-Evans, Chris Heighington et al when he became coach in 2010.He also gave a cap to a Kiwi under the residency rule. Perhaps he didn't sell it very well? But he was English so that was okay.

Are you saying Tony Smith has made this up?

They should only pick English players.

Players should choose which country they would represent when signing on professionally. For most it will be irrelevant but if you are choosing which team you would represent as an aspiration then I believe you would give the most honest answer

Picking an Australian or Kiwi because he lives here rather than there as an acceptable criteria is one of the silliest suggestions I've read.

They should only pick English players.

Players should choose which country they would represent when signing on professionally. For most it will be irrelevant but if you are choosing which team you would represent as an aspiration then I believe you would give the most honest answer

Picking an Australian or Kiwi because he lives here rather than there as an acceptable criteria is one of the silliest suggestions I've read.

no its not.

Sometimes if you live somewhere and uour wife is from there and so are your children and you class it as your home then that is far better than somebody who has never set foot in the country but can get a cap because their nan was from Devon.

Ive lived in Edinburgh for over 7 years now and this is my home. I have a strong bond with Scotland, and if I was good enough at anything I would proudly represent them.

Actually surely i must be good enough for the football team?

Still should not and should never qualify you as a Scot. If that's the criteria our team could be full of people on holiday because they feel an affinity for a place

This is particularly relevant in Rugby league because our team would include people from the very country we are trying to beat

It's daft

I'm actually holding off on plans for the England games this autumn until I know what's going on. I have no real interest in seeing two 'select' sides going up against one another when it's supposed to be an international fixture.

I could probably stomach Hodkinson playing for England, just about, seeing as he hasn't played international RL before. The Morris twins on the other hand - pick them and I probably won't even watch it on the TV.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Still should not and should never qualify you as a Scot. If that's the criteria our team could be full of people on holiday because they feel an affinity for a place

This is particularly relevant in Rugby league because our team would include people from the very country we are trying to beat

It's daft

Well no, because there is a qualifying period of x years - just like there is in every sport.

I'm actually holding off on plans for the England games this autumn until I know what's going on. I have no real interest in seeing two 'select' sides going up against one another when it's supposed to be an international fixture.

I could probably stomach Hodkinson playing for England, just about, seeing as he hasn't played international RL before. The Morris twins on the other hand - pick them and I probably won't even watch it on the TV.

This is a point that I think shouldn't be underestimated - I think fans already struggle to form a bond with the England RL team based on the fact that we hardly play, and some years not at all in England, but if we start to see a load of mercenaries playing then even some of the most ardent England fans will start to walk away from it.

I have been ok with heritage players in developing nations, but we really shouldn't be relying on them to pack England, Australia and New Zealand teams out.

Smith also refers to the way this has been done. Getting coaches onside and buying in to Wayne's vision, surely should have been a plus for any England coach. Maybe riding roughshod over them will work, maybe not.

If Aussie representatives now play for England then is that the right way? Does that mean, if a dog is born in a stable it can also be a horse?

Regardless of who he tries to poach for the England team you would hope he is saving his best game plans for the Four Nations.

He has not been going so well at Club level recently.

Many Bronco's fans appear to be getting doubtful about his current ability.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Are you saying Tony Smith has made this up?

No he may have wanted to know exactly what his potential pool of players were when he got the job. My point is that Steve McNamara did exactly the same thing (when he was a full-time UK-based England coach). And even went to Australia to try and tap up Hodkinson, Cherry-Evans and Heighington. The media didn't give a stuff about it then because he wasn't Wayne Bennett.

No he may have wanted to know exactly what his potential pool of players were when he got the job. My point is that Steve McNamara did exactly the same thing (when he was a full-time UK-based England coach). And even went to Australia to try and tap up Hodkinson, Cherry-Evans and Heighington. The media didn't give a stuff about it then because he wasn't Wayne Bennett.

thats not really true, this was reported at the time and McNamara had as much stick as any England manager I know. There was also plenty of criticism and debate around Chase, Faasavalu and Heighington etc. but there is more to this story in that Bennett appears to have been getting up people's noses a fair bit. He also apparently wouldnt spend time with the media when over here. As if we have enough profile to ignore the media.

When you consider his attitude to Milford for Samoa then he hasnt come across brilliantly so far.

This was a high profile signing, but I dont feel we really have an England manager as such, i think we have a hired gun for results.

That may work out great, id have preferred him in a support role, but i dont believe un winning at all costs.

Well, your right. He may have. But the comments re: Steve McNamara are not true. Obviously Heighington was called up. He can be criticised for the Chase saga, IMO, but he was widely criticised unfairly with the majority of criticism pure BS.

Smith has recognised Bennett has gone about this the wrong way and is pointing it out based on his knowledge of the situation.

You might think that not getting club coaches onside is a bad thing, WB is the boss and he'll tell them how it's going to be - no way this will work. What if a coach says sorry, "this lad needs exploratory surgery, it's already been planned and agreed. He's not available. If you'd have consulted with us you'd have known". Could easily happen.

Just simple engagement would have made good press and smoothed the way with clubs. The RFL should have made him do that.

Well no, because there is a qualifying period of x years - just like there is in every sport.[/quote

Exactly any other sport rugby league is not. Borrowing players from the only real opposition that matters is madness and therefore bears no comparison to your feeling a bit Scottish

You didn't really mean that last statement did you Padge?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

no its not.

Sometimes if you live somewhere and uour wife is from there and so are your children and you class it as your home then that is far better than somebody who has never set foot in the country but can get a cap because their nan was from Devon.

Ive lived in Edinburgh for over 7 years now and this is my home. I have a strong bond with Scotland, and if I was good enough at anything I would proudly represent them.

Actually surely i must be good enough for the football team?

After 7 years I'm surprised your not the captain.

Archived