Friday night Wigan v Hull......why ?

Why was this game on Friday might.

On Sunday BBC showed Flog It and Woman's Golf - no offence, but what wasn't it two weekend kick off's.

Enjoyed both games, coverage was good in both, well done....but Friday night ?

Thoughts on BBCs actions.....

You could say the same about Sky Friday nights though couldn't you?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Getting one game per SL round on BBC2 every week would be tremendous for the sport. Especially if the RL ruled that only the televised game is played on Friday night.

IMHO I would suggest the following:

Friday night - 8.00pm BBC2 live game

Saturday 5.30pm - SKY live game

Sunday 2.30pm - 3 non-televised SL games

Sunday 6.00pm - SKY live game. Straight after the SKY 4pm football match.

My only criteria to encourage as many travelling supporters to the Friday night game is that due to the heavy M62 traffic is that Hull/Hull KR do not play away west of the pennines that night and vice versa only host Yorkshire based teams at home.

On Sunday BBC showed Flog It and Woman's Golf - no offence, but what wasn't it two weekend kick off's.

Well, on Saturday Warrington flogged Wakey who, it has to be said, were well below par with one of their female fans displaying an unfortunate pull shot to all and sundry, so perhaps the Beeb wanted more of the same.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

People are far too concerned with bums on seats. TV figures are what the sponsors care about, and Friday night on BBC 2 is a fantastic slot. Who cares if it knocked a couple of thousand off the attendance?

Southampton travel to Sunderland on a mon evening,Man Utd go into europe on a wed evening,Swansea go to Newcastle for 12.30pm on a sunday,yet Wigan wont go to Doncaster on a friday evening.Says more about Wigan and rugby league than anything else.

Southampton travel to Sunderland on a mon evening,Man Utd go into europe on a wed evening,Swansea go to Newcastle for 12.30pm on a sunday,yet Wigan wont go to Doncaster on a friday evening.Says more about Wigan and rugby league than anything else.

Wigan did go. Just not good enough to win, though.

difference is you arent relying on two sets of travelling fans.

Hull didn't seem to have an issue with it though

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

BBC2 Prime Time on a Friday evening is a great thing for the sport. If the draw had seen Hull v Wakey, or Warrington v Wigan, then the travel would have been simpler for both sets of fans. This year, we got East v West in both semis, but that's just the way it is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

People are far too concerned with bums on seats. TV figures are what the sponsors care about, and Friday night on BBC 2 is a fantastic slot. Who cares if it knocked a couple of thousand off the attendance?

People are obviously concerned. Why do clubs mailshot, advertise, notify and announce forthcoming games?

Will the sponsors being kicking their heels with glee over the amount of empty seats as well?

Why was this game on Friday might.

Enjoyed both games, coverage was good in both, well done....but Friday night ?

Thoughts on BBCs actions.....

I don't have an issue with it being on free to air TV Friday nights. Exactly what we do want.

My issue was the stadium selection, given the location of the teams, on a Friday night. Idiocy.

BBC2 Prime Time on a Friday evening is a great thing for the sport. If the draw had seen Hull v Wakey, or Warrington v Wigan, then the travel would have been simpler for both sets of fans. This year, we got East v West in both semis, but that's just the way it is.

i think this is a valid point, the draw led to an awkward choice for that Wigan v Hull game.

The presentation of the game wasnt the best. The rfl have for years now taken tge approach of empty seats behind the camera, and did so on Saturday, im not sure why they didnt on Friday.

Hull vs Wigan in a Challenge Cup semi should be one of tge biggest games in RL, it was a cracking game played in front of huge blocks of empty seats.

What was the actual TV viewing figure? And how does that compare to a Sunday afternoon game?

BBC1

EastEnders: 5.41m (30.8%)

Celebrity MasterChef Final: 4.86m (26.1%)

BBC News (10pm): 4.14m (26.1%) 

BBC2

Rugby League: 0.81m (4.6%)

Newsnight: 0.50m (4.2%)

The Hairy Builder: 0.45m (2.9%)

BBC4

BBC Proms 2016: David Bowie: 0.47m (4.4%)

Sounds of the Eighties (9.45pm) (Repeat): 0.29m (1.7%)

BBC Proms 2016 (7.30pm): 0.25m (1.4%)

C4 (exc +1)

Celebrity First Dates: 1.15m (6.2%)

Amazing Spaces: Shed of the Year: 1.08m (5.9%)

Friday Night Dinner: 1.07m (6.9%)

C5 (exc +1)

Celebrity Big Brother: 1.32m (7.1%)

20 Moments That Rocked the '90s (Repeat): 0.51m (2.9%)

It's Not Me, It's You: 0.50m (3.2%)

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

I was working (OK, arguing on here) so couldn't watch it but I think Fri night is a great slot. Judging by the number of random comments on Twitter, umpteen people hadn't watched RL for ages (Eddie Waring era for some) and really enjoyed it. Some seemed to be very surprised by how much they enjoyed it.

Non-RL folk may take advantage of Saturday and Sunday afternoons to go out and do other things (weirdos!), like getting trapped in the Ikea labyrinth or taking the kids out for a treat or whatever.

Friday night is TV night for a lot of people and having the Cup on BBC2 made it something that can be stumbled upon by new viewers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BBC1EastEnders: 5.41m (30.8%)Celebrity MasterChef Final: 4.86m (26.1%)BBC News (10pm): 4.14m (26.1%) BBC2Rugby League: 0.81m (4.6%)Newsnight: 0.50m (4.2%)The Hairy Builder: 0.45m (2.9%)BBC4BBC Proms 2016: David Bowie: 0.47m (4.4%)Sounds of the Eighties (9.45pm) (Repeat): 0.29m (1.7%)BBC Proms 2016 (7.30pm): 0.25m (1.4%)C4 (exc +1)Celebrity First Dates: 1.15m (6.2%)Amazing Spaces: Shed of the Year: 1.08m (5.9%)Friday Night Dinner: 1.07m (6.9%)C5 (exc +1)Celebrity Big Brother: 1.32m (7.1%)20 Moments That Rocked the '90s (Repeat): 0.51m (2.9%)It's Not Me, It's You: 0.50m (3.2%)

Disappointed on the numbers for David Bowie.

It is a brilliant idea - absolutely superb and exactly what we need. Just give more thought to the venue next time - if you come up with somewhere that even our fans can't get to in numbers, then think twice.

It'd be great to have 10 of these a year - that would transform our profile.

Archived