Championship Side in Trouble

Dave Naylor

Started seeing gossip on social media this evening that a Championship side is in serious danger of folding within the next few weeks.  You could speculate about which side that could be and of course the gossip could just be Chinese whispers.

What immediately springs to mind for me though is how such an occurrence would effect the other 11 teams.  If the club were to completely disappear or maybe relaunch in League 1 next season, that would surely mean only one relegation place to avoid.  

Workington may have already avoided relegation,  maybe we should tell them, they'll be ever so pleased. ;)

Sadly it could be one from three! I'm hoping it's Dewsbury :devil:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

A few clubs are having difficulties, Bradford, Sheffield and Fev are all on the main board.

Wouldn't be surprised if more are treading a fine line.

Trying to keep up with Leigh is expensive.  Running an average side is expensive.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Its Sheffield

The nonsense has appeared in the Love Rugby League site and it is written by 2 individuals who have never been correct in any of their 'rumours'.

The original story named Sheffield Eagles a fortnight ago stating they would need to spend 400k to reach the end of the season.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_22849-off-the-record-rugby-league-rumour-and-gossip-45.html

The current and outgoing chairman stated a couple of months ago that he had paid until the end of the season,after an investor withdrew at some point some months earlier.

At the same time as the article appeared the CEO had been informing the local press that 3 bidders were interested in Sheffield Eagles and in the new stadium.

Yesterday,another 'rumour' was given a run in the same Love Rugby League site with no club name attached.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_23012-off-the-record-rugby-league-rumour-and-gossip-47.html

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

If the RFL shared out the new tv money more fairly then we might not be seeing clubs go to the wall..

I worked it out at the time the new deal was struck,if they put all the mone,from all the deals,super league rights,championship rights,challenge cup rights & england test rights into a big pot you could have split it something like this..

Super league clubs get £1.6m each

Championship clubs £500k each

League 1 clubs £250k each

And they RFL would still be left with £5m plus a year to do with as it pleases..

But no..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

If the RFL shared out the new tv money more fairly then we might not be seeing clubs go to the wall..

I worked it out at the time the new deal was struck,if they put all the mone,from all the deals,super league rights,championship rights,challenge cup rights & england test rights into a big pot you could have split it something like this..

Super league clubs get £1.6m each

Championship clubs £500k each

League 1 clubs £250k each

And they RFL would still be left with £5m plus a year to do with as it pleases..

But no..

That's never going to happen mate unfortunately,especially if Hetherington as his way,but if what Rhino's end up in the championship,well we can all live in hope.

re the Bradford telegraph & argus

marc green the Bradford chairman as addressed the players and staff who have not been paid their wages that all HIS bank accounts have been frozen.

the banks only freeze accounts that are in the red no mention of any bulls accounts he says the players and staff will be paid on Friday.

so perhaps his family may have accounts in their names that can pay the players and staff I watch this with interest

That's never going to happen mate unfortunately,especially if Hetherington as his way,but if what Rhino's end up in the championship,well we can all live in hope.

And the super league clubs got £300k each as a sweetener..thats £3.6m ###### up the wall

OLDHAM RLFC

• 2 weeks later...

http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/46369

In all honestly this is an upsetting and difficult piece to write and release to the RFL world. 

Sadly, our club is in a rather dire financial predicament at this time – so much so that we are open to all options including facing the very real prospect that Sheffield Eagles RLFC could indeed cease to exist entirely. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Not much sympathy tbh, overspending and over ambitious. This is what happens when clubs rely on a single investor. More clubs like Salford,Bradford,and Leigh could be in the same boat if their money men pull out. Its time clubs realise that a solid infrastructure not a reliance on a sugar daddy who can pull out and leave you in this situation is the way to go.If clubs live within their means this doesn't happen. We ain't financially loaded by any stretch of the imagination,but we don't go boom or bust. Spend what your club can afford as an entity (not as a rich blokes plaything)to make sure you have a club for the future. This culture is all down to the so called promised land of SL, if it was a choice of spending ridiculously above the clubs income level and then we go bang,then I'm happy to be in the Championship come what may tbh. Shame for the fans though, players and staff well they have been well rewarded for their mediocracy this season on full time money.

told you so

The investors interested in purchasing the club are still interested.

There has been a delay with obtaining information from the council.

A local journalist tweeted the following - Matthew Young ‏@mattyoung87  3h

Speaking with @JohnWhaling this evening #EaglesRL will be able to see out the season but something needs to happen in the next 6 weeks.

It would seem nothing has changed other than the club preparing for every eventuality.

Love Rugby League stated yesterday that Sheffield Eagles would be accommodating a new coach for 2017.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Agree with 34 regarding overspending and over ambitious. I did think that when they announced they were going full they were trying to run before walking. In my opinion they have been very poor this term considering they are full time(our lads have work on Monday just like the rest of us).Feel for the fans,they must be spitting feathers.At the end of the as my mum says"you cut your cloth according to your purse".One less club is a negative for the sport and I hope something can be sorted.But they need to remember "walk before running".

Ive actually gone through all the figures about the next tv deal..if all the tv money from club games,challenge cup & internationals...and the sky money thats supposed to go into clubs foundations..thats £182.2m + £17.8m = £200m over 5 years thats £40m a year was put into one big pot..it could of been broken down like this

12 Super league clubs get £1.825m per season

14 championship clubs get £600,000 per season

14 league one clubs get £300,000 per season

That comes too £33.3m per season which leaves the RFL with £6.7m per season to do with as it pleases..

But nah..

OLDHAM RLFC

Archived