NRL 2016 Match Thread - Round 22 - Women in League Round

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Brisbane get themselves out of their horror form slump?

Wayne Bennett’s men have won just two games from their past nine starts.

Tonight they’re in Wollongong to take on the struggling Dragons who have lost four games in a row.

To make matter’s worse for the Red V, they’re without forwards Tyson Frizell, Joel Thompson and Leeson Ah Mau, as well as star fullback Josh Dugan.

Both St George Illawarra and Brisbane prepare to face each other after enduring a horrible six weeks that has seen each side lose four of their last five matches. 

The Dragons' early-season scoring woes have returned, and with that their top eight hopes have diminished as they've slid down the NRL ladder at a rapid rate. 

It hasn't been much better for the Broncos, with Brisbane hitting a new low last week as they lost to the 15th-placed Sydney Roosters. 

St George Illawarra come into this one desperate to keep their faint finals hopes alive, but they'll have to do it the hard way after losing two key players in the lead up to Thursday's match.  

The Dragons are still without star fullback Josh Dugan, and they will now also have to play without Joel Thompson and Tyson Frizell, with both missing this week because of suspension. Tyrone McCarthy has been named on the bench instead of Will Matthews.

Brisbane haven't been full strength since their Round 11 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys, but their luck appears to be returning with the inclusion of three big names. 

Josh McGuire and Sam Thaiday both return from suspension while Matt Gillett returns from a shoulder injury. Jai Arrow, Alex Glenn and Jaydn Su'A drop back to an extended bench. Joe Ofahengaue and Herman Ese'ese haven't been named.

Can Brisbane get themselves out of their horror form slump?Wayne Bennett’s men have won just two games from their past nine starts.Tonight they’re in Wollongong to take on the struggling Dragons who have lost four games in a row.To make matter’s worse for the Red V, they’re without forwards Tyson Frizell, Joel Thompson and Leeson Ah Mau, as well as star fullback Josh Dugan.

The fact that Frizell is missing must go down as one on the NRLs worst ever judiciary decisions made worse by the fact the serial tripper went unpunished in the same game.

Dragons:

1. Adam Quinlan
2. Kurt Mann
3. Euan Aitken
4. Taane Milne
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop ©
7. Benji Marshall 
8. Russell Packer
17. Jake Marketo
10. Mike Cooper
19. Tyrone McCarthy
12. Will Matthews
13. Jack de Belin
9. Mitch Rein
14. Tariq Sims
16. Jacob Host
21. Luciano Leilua

Broncos:

1. Darius Boyd

2. Corey Oates

3. Tom Opacic

4. James Roberts

5. Lachlan Maranta

6. Anthony Milford

7. Ben Hunt

8. Josh McGuire

9. Andrew McCullough

10. Adam Blair

11. Sam Thaiday

12. Matt Gillett

13. Corey Parker ©

Interchange:     

14. Jarrod Wallace

15. Tevita Pangai Jnr

16. Jai Arrow

17. Alex Glenn

No disrespect to either team's fans, but tonight's game is a cripple fight.

St. George can probably kiss their Top8 hopes goodbye if they lose, while Brisbane could be as low as 8 on the ladder depending on this round's results if they lose and in danger of missing the finals.

I hope the Dragons beat the Broncos, but on paper this team doesn't look like troubling anyone.

And now that I've written that... look out for a big Dragons performance.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

Honestly it'll be a miracle if the Dragons score more than the 1 try.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Talk about Hayne is all they can do... I've read that they don't broadcast any Titans game til the finals (if they ever make it there).

* Subject to change

Morning all, I have gone for the Dragons In this one think there could be some shocks in this round.... then again what do I know.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Gus says they could have handled his leaving them better getting some recompense for him. He still had 2 years on his Eels contract when he left.

I thought the NRL looked after the Titans one stage last year Dr Koukash was even mentioned as a potential buyer. If they are under the NRL were has the money come from for his contact

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I thought the NRL looked after the Titans one stage last year Dr Koukash was even mentioned as a potential buyer. If they are under the NRL were has the money come from for his contact

Inventive accounting?

Beats me actually. I guess the DCE flip left them with a bit of cash to spend.

* Subject to change

Archived