A simple question/poll on RL in the USA

If the World Club Challenge was held in Orlando OR Jacksonville, Florida, with at least 12 months notice of the event. How many of you guys in the Forums would attend? Obviously Orlando makes it easier due to direct international flights, and all the Theme Parks are there. And it is midway from Tampa, Daytona, close enough to Miami and Jacksonville.

The vision would be a week long experience:

- One training session for each team would be open to the public/fans to attend, watch, get autographs, etc.

- There would be one dinner for each team, that was a pay-per-ticket event for the more serious and hard core fan. I imagine no more than 150 fans to join each team for a dinner and hour social time before

- Ample time for fans to go to Disney/Universal

- Ample time for a day trip to Daytona and then down to the NASA complex at Kennedy Space

- Ample time for those who wanted to spend a day or two in Tampa or Miami instead

- There are LOTS of cheap hotels in the Orlando area as well

- I am sure we could also arrange a game against the USA team with all the "extras players" who would not be playing in the WCC as a curtain raiser, or one evening during the week

- And I am certain either the Bucs of Jaguars would open up their stadium one afternoon for a large group of fans to get a real behind the scenes look into an NFL facility

So given none of us know who would be playing in the WCC, is this enough of an attraction to get the average RL fan to plan a holiday around it, knowing their team may not actually be playing?

That has always been the fear, the wrong teams make the WCC and their fans don't travel. 

I imagine there would be more UK fans than Aussie ones, due to the distance needed to travel. 

So mull it over, think seriously about it for a bit, and then let me know if you think this is enough of an attraction to get international RL fans to commit to a trip/holiday to Florida.

And to be honest, I only think the WCC if held here could be one game with two teams due to the cost needed to cover them. I doubt the current 6 team system would work for the first one.

All things considered would you come for a week to an event like this as an average RL fan?

I follow the game but not enough to travel overseas to watch an exhibition match in a location I would not normally have any desire to visit.

Florida is not on my radar as a place to visit.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I follow the game but not enough to travel overseas to watch an exhibition match in a location I would not normally have any desire to visit.

Florida is not on my radar as a place to visit.

Wholly agree with Allora, plus I cannot afford it. 

Thanks guys, and this is the type of stuff needed to be considered when hosting events to attract tourists as a large part of the fan base. Nothing will ever be perfect, so what is needed is to compile the right collection of event associated stuff, that will "Keep most of the people happy, most of the time"

Thanks guys, and this is the type of stuff needed to be considered when hosting events to attract tourists as a large part of the fan base. Nothing will ever be perfect, so what is needed is to compile the right collection of event associated stuff, that will "Keep most of the people happy, most of the time"

If you're looking at Orlando as a possible venue, is partnering with UCF and promoting the match to their alumni and gridiron season ticket holders (possibly on a revenue-sharing basis) to boost the crowd a viable option?

I would attend if my team were in it, so would not book ahead of knowing the grand final result (Bulls unlikely for a few years!!).

If England were playing with 12 months notice I'd be there!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Yes because I want to combine taking the kid to Disney and RL but England game/s would be much preferred.

Also if it does end up at a college stadium make sure they serve alcohol!

Good news, alcohol is gradually being reintroduced into college stadiums.

It appears that one off events are going to be better supported if the National Teams are involved, as opposed to teams. I wonder what options lay around 2 top tier nations who would play each other, and then have the USA play Canada or Jamaica as the lead in or curtain raiser?

That where it gets tricky: Aus and NZ long travel, England perfect but who do they play? Would France draw a crowd if they faced England? I don't know.

Overall, there are ideas that are not that "fare fetched" that could attract fans and TV. It just takes a few questions, finding the right people, getting the RLIF to back it, and the all important item, MONEY.

But, enough interest to have a think.......

Archived