Death of the middle 8's ?

The championship had its chance last year with an awful Wakey and Salford sides!

This year i suspect no championship side will get within 30 points of a SL side.

Surely if every SL side puts 60 on the lower league sodes they have to scrap the middle 8's and p&r?

The championship had its chance last year with an awful Wakey and Salford sides!

This year i suspect no championship side will get within 30 points of a SL side.

Surely if every SL side puts 60 on the lower league sodes they have to scrap the middle 8's and p&r?

The RFL said they'd give it at least three years and an SL chairman seemed to confirm this suggesting a review in 18 months. They may scrap the qualifiers but most SL clubs wanted P & R so it could go back to straight P & R. Red Roosters view is worth elevating to this thread:- 

"The nature of the qualifiers is that a Championship club only has to beat its three championship opponents to get a minimum fifth place to play in the "million pound match". Hence (Leigh.v.London) is the most significant game of both clubs season's. A loss means you have to beat a Super League side and rely on points difference.

That's not easy, although the "million pound match" itself bering a one-off could be affected by refereeing decisions, loss of form, injuries and someone from a championship club playing a blinder so promotion is not out of the question though it certainly does not make this system right.

Leigh's win today with two part time clubs (whose confidence will be shot after big defeats) still to play and beat may give them all they want which is fifth place. They look well nailed on for that already.As another poster remarks Huddersfield look like the club who will have to go some to avoid fourth....

I disliked the concept from the pff but I've grown to like it. Leigh had a chance last year and blew a gilt edged opportunity.

I suggest they will get an opportunity to put it right this year but their mpg opponents will be far more equipt than wakey were last year

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

let's be careful of wanting things scrapped because results dont go the wat we'd like over a short period of time.

This is exactly what we have criticised the game over, particularly around internationals and world club games.

One of the biggest results this weekend saw 3rd stick 60 on 8th in SL.

I also think p and r and this middle 8 systems can be decided independently of each other.

Let's see what happens.

Only one did!, the highest placed SL side against the lowest placed Championship side. Surely, for the Championship sides, it is about their ability to adapt to the competition as this phase develops. I think, Leigh excepted, that was what happened last season. 

Always doom and gloom!

remember Billy...every minute counts....Yes...Right

Red Rooster foresaw "a Leigh win with I fear a number of meaningless encounters coming up relatively quickly once fifth spot recedes from view. Every Game Matters my a*se".

Having said this if you read Nigel Woods annual review he now admits that was only a slogan and it's not possible to make every game count.

Bottom line is money, so even if it isn't much of a competition (which it clearly isn't) if the crowds turn up then it will have done some sort of a job.

I disliked the concept from the off but I've grown to like it. Leigh had a chance last year and blew a gilt edged opportunity. I suggest they will get an opportunity to put it right this year but their mpg opponents will be far more equipped than wakey were last year

The way Leigh went in the 8's last year for me just proved as good as they were as a Championship club, they were a mile off SL. Now you seem to concede they don't have a great chance.

I felt sorry for Featherstone when they came top every year and were never promoted. I felt sorry for them when the RFL led them up the garden path with "standards", I again felt sorry for them when they finally got chance to show off their "SL standard" ground, but as we all know they'll only fill that on the odd occasion.

Same for Leigh - top dogs who have deserved straight promotion year on year and may well not get it again this year and after all the money Beaumont is spending it's a shame.

Never mind, there may be another chance next year or even the year after....But wait....Toulouse and then Toronto will have arrived by then and if the RFL want them in they won't be persevering with a system that blocks those clubs.

I love the format. Look at the opportunities provided to clubs like Batley and Featherstone. Playing clubs like Leeds and Huddersfield. It's not all about getting a club promoted to the SL.

It's not about that at all the way it's going, but it adds extra games and increases the aggregate attendances so it serves some sort of purpose.

How long before Toronto and Toulouse shut out Batley and Featherstone?

The only saving grace for Fev was that the drive for standards forced them to upgrade their ground, which is now in much better shape if they now get stuff right on the pitch.

I'm still not 100% convinced by this format, but we've surely got to give it at least 3 seasons, maybe 5.

Straight P&R didn't really work when we had it and there doesn't seem to be stomach for licensing so it was worth trying something else.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

What ever happens there is a play off between 4th and 5th. Winner takes all. It's for the SL clubs to lose hence the spending. All a Chump club needs to do is finish 5th for that shot. Depends who wants it enough. All its for the SL teams to avoid at all costs, We saw that last year with completely new SL teams taking the field in the qualifiers. It's basically seven games to trundle through for extra cash should fans show up to get to the 4 v 5 game. So for some of the traditional heartland teams it's a series of money spinners, which used to be called friendlies but in this concept you actually get the first team and not the u19s at your home.

So Leigh have proved with their financial investment they might want it most (actual progression) Just against in the main part time teams they are not challenged enough to ever be ready. At worst they'll end up 5th but you never know.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Hi guys new on here

I'm all for the team that finishes top of the league deserves to come up into super league

Team finishes bottom in super league should be relegated

Maybe teams in championship who finishes in 2,3,4,5 play off against each other

Leaving winner out of this play off having a one off game against the team who finished 2nd bottom in super league

Team in the championship having to go win at the super league club in one off game

At the moment i don't like the concept, but can we at least give it about 5 years and see how it evolves.

Over the many years i have followed Rugby League we tried many things and ditched a vast majority too soon in my opinion.

Yes it's been a common criticism ove the years aimed at the RFL and yet there are people asking them to do just that once again.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Do you ever see the turkeys investing in Christmas...

central funding just has to be increased to both championship and Championship one 

raising the standard, for the overall good and health  (and long term Future) of this great game from the bottom up.

And something just has to happen re reserve/academy teams...

I looked forward to this stage of the season last year and, whilst I am a bit less excited this time around, I am really interested to see how Leigh and London get on this year.  I know that it is unlikely that the Championship sides will go up but I just think that maybe there could be the odd shock with Hull KR, Hudds, Leigh and London.  It might only take a couple of upsets and you could end up with Leigh and London playing each other in the MPG.  Or even one of them (Leigh probably after this weekend) claiming 3rd place.  I think that the weekend of the 10/11 September could be very interesting with Hudds travelling to Leigh and Hull KR going to London.  If the results after that weekend are 60 point victories to the visitors maybe then we could have this thread, but until then, I'm going to remain optimistic.

Hi guys new on here

I'm all for the team that finishes top of the league deserves to come up into super league

Team finishes bottom in super league should be relegated

Maybe teams in championship who finishes in 2,3,4,5 play off against each other

Leaving winner out of this play off having a one off game against the team who finished 2nd bottom in super league

Team in the championship having to go win at the super league club in one off game

I sort off like this idea, the problem is what does the teams who came bottom of SL do while the 2-5 in championship play each other? Does the team who came 11th in SL take a 6/7 week break waiting to see who they play? Does the teams who came 9&10 in SL finish their season?

I am not that fond of the current system, I will accept it is a hard square to circle if you are trying to avoid the pit falls of boom and bust.

I think going from to P/R to middle 8s may have been a step too far too soon. Maybe they should have implemented stragiht P/R for a couple seasons before heading to this format. It might have allowed the lower SL, higher championship clubs to have found an equiblirium in terms of finances and player movement.

5 wins makes you safe, anything less and the million pound game beckons

I am a giants fan and very worried after today 

Leigh just need to beat the championship sides and then get that one shot

Worth waiting for

Archived