5 Questions with ERL (NRL Players)

Hi Folks,

Whilst the first couple of months of Everything Rugby League's new series "5 Questions with ERL" we're solely Rugby League administrators from around the world (see international section of this forum), we've also branched out to professional RL players.

You might notice that most questions we ask in this series have a distinctive international theme. We've made no attempt to hide the fact that we see international RL as the only way forward for our great game and will continue to work hard to get the brand out there.  

We're currently working on access to Super League players too

Enjoy guys. As always, feel free to visit the page at facebook.com/everythingrugbyleague.

First interview is with Sydney Roosters forward Abe Papalii who came through the NZ Warriors U20 ranks to now represent the Sydney Roosters.

14046144_1199432073455331_32175164046683

5 Questions with ERL: Abraham Papalii

We spoke with Sydney Roosters player Abraham Papalii recently.

Abraham Papalii arrived in Bondi back in 2015 following an impressive U20s career with the New Zealand Warriors. His junior club was the Glenora Bears...

Standing at almost two metres tall at just 23 years of age, Papalii is a wide-running and skillful backrower that is no easy man to stop for any defender.

1. Who was your idol while you were growing up?

I idolized the All Blacks team back in the day. Carlos Spencer, Luke Mcalister, Doug Howlett and Jerry Collins were my favourite players.

2. You came through the Warriors U20s ranks and are currently in the Roosters system. With players like Omar Slaimankhel and even Suaia Matagi there for a while did this make it easier for you to fit in?

I was at the Roosters before those guys but I had Kiwi boys like Siua Taukeiaho and Isaac Liu there who made it easier for me. It was then good for Omar and Suaia to come in. We pretty much had that Kiwi group which gave you that sorta 'bro' environment like how it is back home.

3. You were born in born in Auckland but are of American Samoan decent as far as we're aware. Would you consider turning out for the USA Hawks at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup if they approached you?

It's funny you ask that. I actually thought I was and I got a call from the USA hawks coach himself about playing at the 2013 World Cup. I told him I had a grandma with some American Samoan background. I went home and asked Mum and Dad and they said that I actually don't. So that dream was shattered.

4. What are your thoughts on the current state of International Rugby League and what do you think can be done to improve it?

Well I haven't played any International league yet, but maybe they could put more money into the programs for the Pacific Island teams to help out more or even get a few games/comps going in the Islands to motivate the Islanders and even give an opportunity for them to succeed from home instead of having to move away.

5. What is your most memorable moment in your Rugby League career so far?

Making my first grade debut for the Roosters this year.

Thanks for talking to us Abraham. We wish you all the best

5 Questions with ERL - George Rose

b2ee1172-0d8d-443d-abe3-359345afad5a.jpg

5 Questions with ERL: George Rose

We spoke with former NRL player George Rose recently about his views on the All Stars game, NRL Expansion, International Rugby League, his junior years and what his most memorable moments are.

He has played for the Sydney Roosters, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, Melbourne Storm and the St George-Illawarra Dragons. He has also represented his culture playing in the Indigenous Dreamtime team in 2008 and the Indigenous All Stars team in 2015.

1. You represented the indigenous all stars and received the Preston Campbell medal for man of the match. Do you believe it's important for the All stars game to stay in the RL calendar?

The All Stars game for me has always been an exciting start to the season. It's a great game for many reasons. Fan interaction. How often do you get to actually play a part in voting for and selecting your own team as a fan. Kicking off the season with the best players in the game all o n the field at once witnessing the best from UK (Aus based), NZ, Aus Pacific nations all on one team. The community and cultural benefits from players on both teams is awesome. What happens off the field during that week does more for rugby league than what half the games do on the field. Plus celebrating indigenous culture the longest continuous culture on earth over 60000 years of history and unique to Australia only. We can all share, learn and be proud of this culture and of the great players representing in this game. I may be biased but I love the game.

2. Where would you like to see the NRL expand to?

The next expansion I'd like to see is Perth. I think they've been pushing for it for some time now. To make the game truly national I'd like to see Perth, Darwin, Adelaide all eventually with teams. Then further down the track perhaps PNG and Fiji. I'd love to see the game grow this big in my lifetime. I think to grow financially I'd love to see the game pushed into the American TV market. Their population and love for sport could create a great avenue for future TV revenue to be pushed back into game expansion.

3. What are your thoughts on International Rugby League what you think can be done to improve it?

I love seeing Australia win, but hate seeing them win easy like they often do. I think players with genuine dual international eligibility should be given the right to play for other nations if not selected for Australia. If Samoa or Tonga pick the best 20 Samoan and Tongan players in the league they become very competitive with the top 3 nations. The more competitive the international game is the more exciting it becomes.

And again I believe pushing TV coverage into other countries is the way to go. Force it on them gradually gain fans build the base up internationally.

4. Can you tell us a bit about your junior days and what advice you can give to younger fans?

I was a country boy picked up in Bathurst by Penrith scouts. I never made any NSW or Aus schoolboys or even country rep. But I got an opportunity and took advantage of it. I worked hard to get success. I wasn't a good trainer at the start. But I never gave up. I trained hard I did extras. I kept building on my strengths and working on my weaknesses.

My advice would be just that. Not everyone is the perfect player but whatever your strength is make sure you showcase it every opportunity you get. Keep working on your weaknesses but be the best at what you're good at. I could run hard and make good metres on every carry so I made sure I did that. It lead to 12 years in the NRL and changed my life. I've always played rugby league for enjoyment and still play it now for that same reason. I love it.

5. What is the most memorable moment of your RL career?

Probably 3 moments. Winning Grand Final with Manly was awesome. That club was home to me for 8 years of my life. I loved my time there and the people I met. Winning the Preston Campbell medal in 2015 in an All Stars game against the best players in the world and winning my first Koori Knockout in 2009 such an emotional and proud moment.

Thanks for the questions mate. I love the work you guys do. Great for Rugby League.

Cheers George, thanks for your time and all the best.

Follow George below:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gorgeousgrose/?fref=ts
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gorgeousgrose/?hl=en
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gorgeousgrose

5 Questions with ERL: Isaac De Gois

We spoke with NRL stalwart Isaac De Gois recently about his rugby league career

De Gois is a Wests junior from the Liverpool area. He attended All Saints Catholic Senior College. He has played for the Wests Tigers, Cronulla Sharks, Newcastle Knights and currently plays for the Parramatta Eels. Of Portuguese descent, De Gois made his international debut before his first-grade debut. He was selected to play for Portugal against Fiji A in Oct...ober, 2005, alongside his two brothers.

1. You captained the first ever Portuguese Rugby League team in 2005. How does this compare to your other achievements in the sport?

Every time you put on a Portuguese jersey or your club jersey you are always proud to represent. However being captain, and acknowledging my heritage was an especially proud moment, but more so because I was able to play alongside two of brothers.

2. Can you tell us a bit about your junior playing days? What advice can you offer our younger fans?

I played for All Saints Liverpool as a school boy from under 6s to under 17s. I really enjoyed my junior footy, it was a great local club. I was fortunate to have coaches and an extremely supportive family that fostered my abilities. My advice would be back yourself and most importantly have fun with your friends.

3. After your NRL career what do you want to do?

No firm plans on life after football, but I have been a part of the NRL community for 12 years, it is basically all I know, what I love so I hope I can find something in the industry.

4. What are your thoughts on the current state of international Rugby League and what do you think can be done to improve?

It would be great if Rugby League could grow internationally and be more widely played.

5. What is your most memorable moment in your Rugby League career to date?

My debut, and milestones like my 200th game are stand outs but in the NRL, it is a short lived career so every game should be memorable and not taken for granted.

Thanks for speaking with us Isaac, all the best.

https://www.facebook.com/EverythingRugbyLeague/

• 4 weeks later...

14068052_1211849895546882_46727073267962

5 Questions with ERL: Michael Lichaa

Lichaa currently plays for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL. A New South Wales City representative, he plays at hooker and previously played for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks. 

From Wollongong, NSW, Lichaa is of Lebanese decent and played his junior rugby league for the Cronulla-Caringbah Junior Rugby League Football Club and the Yarrawarrah Tigers.

1. You were named Hooker of the year in the 2013 NYC Team. What are your thoughts on the scrapping of the U20's NYC?

I loved my time on the U20's and it was great fun but I think Intrust Super Premiership NSW Cup is probably more important for players development.

2. With a Rugby League World Cup next year, are you a chance of turning out for the Lebanese Rugby League Federation?

Yeah for sure I hope we get all the NRL players that are available to play and have a pretty decent side.

3. What are your thoughts on International Rugby League and what you think can be done to improve it?

I think it's awesome. It will be good to see who's the best team out of NZ, England and Australia at the World Cup.

4. Who was your favourite player growing up and why?

Brad Fittler for sure. He was probably the best player at the Roosters and I went for them

5. Tell us a bit about your junior days and what advice you can give the younger fans.

I loved junior footy and loved playing with my mates every week. My advice would be don't give up. You might not be the best player your at 14 but if you stick at it you might be by the time your 20.

Thanks for speaking with us Michael, all the best.

14237524_1216301871768351_52954097092562

5 Questions with ERL: Omar Slaimankhel 

Omar Slaimankhel currently plays for the Sydney Roosters / Wyong Roos. He has previously played for the New Zealand Warriors and the Japanese rugby union club, the Canon Eagles.

Slaimankhel was born in Pakistan to Afghan refugees. When he was two years old his family moved to New Zealand. He grew up playing rugby union until he switched codes to join the New Zealand Warriors development side.

1. You played First XV Union for Auckland Grammar. Why the switch to League?

Growing up in New Zealand, sports was very much apart of everyday life. I found myself to always be attracted to League, once the opportunity came up for me to try out league I took up the challenge. 

2. What are your thoughts on International Rugby League and what you think can be done to improve it. 

Just like many other sports, there is a lot of politics involved in international RL. I think it would be a positive step to put aside politics and focus on the game and the talent of its players. 

3. What has been your biggest sporting highlight/achievement to this day? 

There has been many moments in sports for me that I can say has been a highlight, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most is my first NRL game with the Warriors against the Sharks in 2012. The Warriors were a team I always followed growing up and admired, to then be walking out on the field with them and being part of the team was a complete surreal feeling and a highlight of my sporting career to date. 

4. Was it a huge change from living in Japan to living in Australia?

I had never lived out of home until I left for Japan at age 21, that in itself was a huge change for me. Australia has always been like a second home to me, the transition from Japan to Australia was much easier than the one I had from New Zealand to Japan. I find Australia to be very similar to New Zealand and that made things much easier. 

5. Where would you like to see the NRL expand to?

I would love to see NRL become an international sport like soccer. I think it is a game that many people around the world would love once they got to know the sport.

Thanks for speaking with us Omar, all the best.

14322722_1226951680703370_13142207205476

5 Questions with ERL: Daniel Vasquez 

Daniel Vasquez is a highly rated Cronulla Sharks junior who played Australian Schoolboys and NSW 18’s in 2015. Vasquez is a strongly built prop who played in the NYC this year.

1.Tell us a little about your background and how you became involved in Rugby League

Well I've always had a love for footy, the first time I watched it on TV I fell in love with it, but it wasn't the first sport I started playing. I constantly asked my Dad if I could play ever since the age of 5 but I wasn't allowed until I was 10, so I played soccer until then. I also played basketball for a while but when footy started to get serious I had to give it up. 

The first RL club I played for was the St Joseph's Joeys. I stayed there until I was 12 years old but when my age group were told that they we were going to be dropped from A grade to B grade, it was time to look for a new club. I wanted to improve in my game and B grade footy wasn't going to do me any good in that regard. So myself and a close friend of mine who was in the same boat as me decided the best club to go to was The Yarrawarrah Tigers. It was one of the best decisions we ever made. We went on and won 5 consecutive grand finals. I first started playing for the Cronulla Sharks when I was 13-14 years old and have been in their system ever since. 

2. You were selected in the 2015 Australian Schoolboys squad alongside players like Curtis Scott and Nathan Cleary who have since made the move to first grade, do you see yourself achieving that goal?

I certainly like to think so. Curtis and Nathan are fantastic players, they have tremendous talent and a great attitude, that's why they're in the NRL. I like to believe that I have a good attitude and work ethic. I don't drink alcohol and some of my mates think I'm boring because of that reason, but if you want to make first grade, sacrifices have to be made and I'm sure Curtis and Nathan have had to make some sort of sacrifice to make the NRL. Hard work is just one of the many things that will get you to the NRL. Getting the honour to represent my country in rugby league was a surreal experience and was a reward for all the hard work I had put in leading up to selection. I'd like to think that, the same hard work and more will get me to the NRL. But it is a long and gruelling journey for some but I'm willing to put in the hard yards to fulfill my dream of playing in the NRL. 

3. What are your thoughts on International Rugby League what you think can be done to improve it?

I was reading an interview that you guys did with George Rose and you asked him the same question and I really agreed with what he said. Australia is arguably the most dominant team in the International competition overall. Although it's great seeing them win I don't like watching a football game when a team wins so easily. The eligibility of players need to be genuine and TV coverage and advertising in other countries could also improve the games fan base. 

4. Who was your favourite player growing up and why? 

My favourite player growing up was Mark Gasnier. I'm a Dragons supporter, I have been since I was born thanks to my Dad. Gasnier was my favourite because he was electric on the field. He was an awesome player and could create something out of nothing. He was one of those players that made you sit on the edge of your seat every time he got the ball. 

5. Where do you think NRL should expand to? Why?

I think that the NRL should expand to a few European countries. I think it would really open up the fan base of the sport plus make it a bit more culturally diverse. It would raise expenditure but I think the NRL would get back what they spend and more.

Thanks for speaking with us, all the best.

Follow Daniel here: https://www.instagram.com/dannvass/?hl=en

Archived