A million thanks

BryanC

After walking away from the game under a big black cloud of disillusionment after the Bears relegation from Super League, I made the big (for me) step of coming back to the 'yeds as they were (almost literally) playing on my doorstep. It would have been rude to not support the bold move out of the OL postcode by the club.

I have to thank from the bottom of my heart every one of you, (not only on the pitch, but in the stands), that has pulled on the red and white in recent seasons. My heart goes out to all of you. I'm not going to name you lot on the terraces individually (you probably know who you are), but mates I knew 19 years ago when I decided to turn my back and walk away, have welcomed me back into the fold (no pun intended) with open arms, and it has been so good to be remembered.

This was a fantastic season and today felt on a par with that legendary game at Old Trafford all those years ago. A momentous game in the club's history. This squad is special, and has given me so many good times this season.

(I'll get to the point eventually, just bear with me).

All you who have decided to stay away (for whatever reasons), there's only one loser. Trust me. I know. After coming back this year, I'm gutted for missing all the good (and probably mostly bad) times that the people that I now stand shoulder to shoulder with at Bower Fold have "enjoyed" (is that the right word?).

The players?

Words fail me. If you saw their response under the sticks in front of their loyal fans this afternoon, you'd understand. I just haven't got the words.

Words fail me. If you saw their response under the sticks in front of their loyal fans this afternoon, you'd understand. I just haven't got the words.

Blummin eck Bryan, what a post!  I blubbed a bit and had to go and show your thoughts to my Mrs who did the same.  Thanks :) 

Well done Oldham!

A terrific achievement.

Always great to see the Lancashire sides doing well. With us Leythers going up to Super League it is down to you and Swinton now to dominate the Championship and make sure those Yorkies know that Lancashire will always be the top dogs!

I must admit that before the season started I had you down to finish bottom of the league.

Shows what I know but very happy to be wrong on this occassion!

Good luck for next season!

Lovely post Bryan.I too walked away when they lost sheddings. I returned when the club arrived at whitebank simply to give it another go.Now I'm still here along with my son and we're loving it season ticket holders and all.Great init. So proud of the side today.

Congratulations Oldham on staying up . I know all your supporters are chuffed to bits and rightly so . The encouraging thing for the club is that this squad has actually under achieved this year and with a few more additions and consistency could really see the crowds returning to a heartland of rugby league . Well done again

Archived