TUEs

On 23/09/2016 at 11:48 PM, Futtocks said:

As far as asthma is concerned, proper medication is vital and sometimes even life-saving.

Hence the story last week of the young girl who was having an asthma problem, went to see her GP, but got turned away because she was 10 mins late, and died later that day in hospital. If the GP had seen her, she would be alive.

10 hours ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

If this stuff was as good as it is being made out to be, believe me, they'd all be on it, the peloton is pretty close knit, they all switch teams regularly. An inhaler doesn't make you the worlds best, especially against known proper dopers.

Cycling is brutal, and has always had a cheating tradition.

There are a lot of asthmatics in cycling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I was up in court yesterday. The judge told me that, although there was no evidence to prove I did anything wrong, in his opinion I crossed "a line" so therefore he was going to tell everyone that I'm guilty and let social media do the rest. Gotta love this new form of justice!

PS - Do I think Team Sky is "whiter than white"? Nope! Have Team Sky have broke any *UCI rules? Nope! 

*If PROVEN otherwise at a later date I'll change that answer to Yes. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

PS - Do I think Team Sky is "whiter than white"? Nope! Have Team Sky have broke any *UCI rules? Nope! 

*If PROVEN otherwise at a later date I'll change that answer to Yes. 

Lance Armstrong has still never failed a drugs test.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Has it been proven the Lance Armstrong broke UCI rules? Yes

Your comparison doesn't compare. 

Interesting though, isn't it? Team Sky's initial pledge was that they would be whiter than white. Not 'dubious but legal', not 'within the rules but unethical' but a categorical statement that nothing that could be even perceived as doping or similar would be tolerated.

But then odd things happened. The first nudge is that riders who have doping bans and who, we were told would not even be considered for the team, start joining. Then there are riders being caught out whilst on the team. But still, it's all marginal gains. Secret squirrel fabrics and a few cunning tricks here and there.

Then even odder things. Turns out that the most professional sports unit ever assembled in the UK (TM) doesn't even keep basic medical records. The kind of failure, incidentally, that would see a PE teacher at a school dismissed for. There are packages that can't be explained.

Then, finally, there are not just the TUEs but out of competition injections of substances that don't just bend the rules but warp them. Only Brad is denying this now - I see he's on the front page of the Sun today crying again about how unfair it all is. Maybe he could go back to his autobiography and remind himself how he wrote that he never has injections because he's scared of needles.

Thankfully, the reason I don't watch much road cycling is because it's deathly dull. I don't have to convince myself that what I'm watching isn't chemically supported.

But we have come a long way from when the cheer squad was so happy that a team that was so pure was winning to now howling that some Team Sky riders haven't failed tests so all their wins really are valid.

Stones and glass houses spring to mind. How many MP’s have crossed ethical lines over the past decade, who are still appointed?

I do think Wiggins should have been given at least the chance to respond to the allegations against him, from his interview this seems not to be the case

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Lance Armstrong has still never failed a drugs test.

I know Lance likes to claim that, but he failed several times in 1999 (and possibly on other occasions) for steroids and the UCI decided to ignore it. Re-test of his '99 sample also showed EPO.

Just now, JonM said:

I know Lance likes to claim that, but he failed several times in 1999 (and possibly on other occasions) for steroids and the UCI decided to ignore it. Re-test of his '99 sample also showed EPO.

If you're going to come at me with facts ...  but, that's fair. Didn't he get a retrospective medical exemption for the failed test(s) hence enabling him to say he hadn't failed?

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you're going to come at me with facts ...  but, that's fair. Didn't he get a retrospective medical exemption for the failed test(s) hence enabling him to say he hadn't failed?

I don't think there's ever a medical exemption for EPO. I don't follow cycling at all though, so can't say that I'm up on exactly what happened.

Obviously pro cycling attracts asthmatics in the same way that endurance running seems to attract people with thyroid problems.

Doesn't get any better for Wiggins, now he is into alleged tax avoidance.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are a lot of asthmatics in cycling.

are there? a bit like the need constant injections in rl, football and so on, there are lots of drug cheats out there, cycling is much better at catching them because of the testing. 

It doesn't bother me so much, i just can't imagine playing a full super league season or going over the alps without some sort of medication, just need to get rid of the roids, epo and fet.

here is a good cycling drug thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12885414

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting though, isn't it? Team Sky's initial pledge was that they would be whiter than white. Not 'dubious but legal', not 'within the rules but unethical' but a categorical statement that nothing that could be even perceived as doping or similar would be tolerated.

But then odd things happened. The first nudge is that riders who have doping bans and who, we were told would not even be considered for the team, start joining. Then there are riders being caught out whilst on the team. But still, it's all marginal gains. Secret squirrel fabrics and a few cunning tricks here and there.

Then even odder things. Turns out that the most professional sports unit ever assembled in the UK (TM) doesn't even keep basic medical records. The kind of failure, incidentally, that would see a PE teacher at a school dismissed for. There are packages that can't be explained.

Then, finally, there are not just the TUEs but out of competition injections of substances that don't just bend the rules but warp them. 

I agree with all this.

And yet, still no one has PROVED that Team Sky has broken any rules.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Simple answer if you need any drugs to compete, don't compete. If natural recovery needs to be sped up by drugs, you need more time to recover not drugs.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

28 minutes ago, Padge said:

Simple answer if you need any drugs to compete, don't compete. If natural recovery needs to be sped up by drugs, you need more time to recover not drugs.

Maybe a change in the rules is needed to avoid confusion. Wiggins hasn’t been accused of breaking any rules, just him crossing an ethical line. Ethics is always open to interpretation. Rules are meant to be there to make things clear

It annoys me that you always see the athletes get punished but rarely those who give the drugs. I find it beyond credibility that more effort isn’t being put into stopping the medical and clinical staff who provide these drugs. A few long prison sentences for medical malpractice are long overdue. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

15 hours ago, Padge said:

So what about gels, blocks, salt/electrolyte tablets, caffiene and recovery protein shakes & bars?

All chemically-driven - all aid the performance and recovery of those who take part in sport - can't even state athlete here, as they are open to every single level

24 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

So what about gels, blocks, salt/electrolyte tablets, caffiene and recovery protein shakes & bars?

All chemically-driven - all aid the performance and recovery of those who take part in sport - can't even state athlete here, as they are open to every single level

Ban 'em.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

Ban 'em.

LOL. As a fairly average amateur athlete, I get banned for having a cup of coffee or eating some beetroot before I run a local 5k race? (Both proven performance aids and oddly enough, with a lot more solid science behind them showing they work than some banned substances.)

Archived