2016 Samoa v Fiji - October 8, Apia

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of poor handling & totally unnecessary pushed passes. decent crowd but not capcity, crowd was chanting Samoa on towards the end. Commentators must have been from PNG they didnt seem to have much of a clue as to what was going on either on or off the field.

It was a reasonable game. The handling dropped off in the second half. I thought the crowd was disappointing. We didn't get too many shots of the main stand but I reckon it was 5K at most. I hope the Samoa RL tied it into a lot of off-field promotions during the week because, if you're only getting 5K, you might as well play at Parra Stadium or Auckland.

As kiwis said above, the commentators were dreadful. Interestingly, the NRL commentators got a blast earlier this year from the Pacific Media Association - "the Association's spokesman Will Ilolahia says the match between Tonga and Samoa was very different, calling the mispronunciations insulting and racist."

I'd love to hear what they thought of today. They got the Fijian names right but the Samoan pronunciations were poor - right down to the word "Samoa."

Also the commentators didn't know most of the players - I guess that's one of the reasons they wear numbers. Vunakece was the only player out there with a blondish Afro but they kept getting him confused with Roqica. They constantly mixed up Kikau and Kamikamica who are roughly similar build but one played the whole game on the left side and the other on the right.

The closing graphics got the names of the try-scorers wrong and showed Tyrone Phillips as Fiji's goal kicker. The kicker was actually Sitiveni Moceidreke and they called his name many times during the game, including when he was taking the goal kicks.

Commentators and production was poor, sound distortion when commentators raised voices, end of match presentation by John Grant was cut away from mid speech to do interviews with players then cut back to presentation of nothing. I guess it's 3rd world so people got to make do with what they have equipment wise but i did notice giant screen tv at the ground showing the game as Samoa player took a kick at goal. The ground has 15k capacity and looked more than half full so i'd guess at least 8k crowd 

I really enjoyed the game and occasion. Let's just hope that it isn't another 30 years before Samoa play a home international.

btw surely we can get a end of season Pacific tri-nations or 4nations tournament every year played between Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG??

...and they were quite happy with the win, too!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

...and they were quite happy with the win, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz0BVlVruNQ

In 2013!!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Archived