RLWC 2021 - USA Bid Statement

By continuing to alternate the WC between 2 countries (plus a couple of nearby countries for group matches)?

I hear what you say but I expressed myself poorly. I meant "maintaining the pretence IN THE UK that RL is a top level world sport..." by holding the Wold Cup here. I'm sorry to be so negative, but I really feel the profile of the game outside the heartlands (I live in Sussex) is about to fall off a cliff. The fact that the Aus-England game in London is looking like its struggling to shift tickets should be setting off alarm bells. But anecdotally, it feels about right. I do almost all of my RL watching on TV of course, but I get up to London when I can for big games. Have always brought a few friends with me, RLWC 2013, Eng-NZ etc. Finding interest a lot harder down here now.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the 2021 RLWC isn't held in the UK and France, I would suggest it would be very detrimental to the health of the game here.

The 2021 bid is England only.

The fact that the Aus-England game in London is looking like its struggling to shift tickets should be setting off alarm bells. Have always brought a few friends with me, RLWC 2013, Eng-NZ etc. Finding interest a lot harder down here now.

I live down south and there is zip all promotion of these events, tickets are released incredibly late to take advantage of any prior interest and England keep losing! It didn't help last year that the game at OP was awful and the atmosphere terrible. But the real issue for me was the RFL's inability to take advantage of the buzz after that semi final in 2013; I took nearly a 150 people to that game and they loved it and were asking when the next one was... imagine their disbelief when I said Nov 2015... that's how you lose interest. It's the RFL's own doing. P*** poor planning. 

The 2021 bid is England only.

I live down south and this is zip all promotion of these events, tickets are released incredibly late to take advantage of any prior interest and England keep losing! It didn't help last year that the game at OP was awful and the atmosphere terrible. But the real issue for me was the RFL's inability to take advantage of the buzz after that semi final in 2013; I took nearly a 150 people to that game and they loved it and were asking when the next one was... imagine their disbelief when I said Nov 2015... that's how you lose interest. It's the RFL's own doing. P*** poor planning. 

Yes... if only France could have plaid the role of "Best ennemy", the rivalry FR ENG could have spread the game around much more... hopefully in a closed future.. on paper we have a decent team.

Yes... if only France could have plaid the role of "Best ennemy", the rivalry FR ENG could have spread the game around much more... hopefully in a closed future.. on paper we have a decent team.

Absolutely and I hope Toulouse go from strength to strength with a future inclusion of the Cathars as well in the game on this side of the channel. 

I am unsure about this US/Canadian World Cup bid but boy is it an exciting thought...

Absolutely and I hope Toulouse go from strength to strength with a future inclusion of the Cathars as well in the game on this side of the channel.

I am unsure about this US/Canadian World Cup bid but boy is it an exciting thought...

Can you share your doubts?

--- Guaranteed money to support RLIF for another 4 years?

--- Fate of Rugby League in England - or of Super League - if they don't have the RLWC in 2021 (vs having it in 2025)?

--- Ability of USA/Canada to stage a successful World Cup?

--- Potential lack of North American development coming out of the World Cup?

Appreciate your input. Thanks...

Can you share your doubts?

--- Guaranteed money to support RLIF for another 4 years?

--- Fate of Rugby League in England - or of Super League - if they don't have the RLWC in 2021 (vs having it in 2025)?

--- Ability of USA/Canada to stage a successful World Cup?

--- Potential lack of North American development coming out of the World Cup?

Appreciate your input. Thanks...

It's quite hard to pinpoint the doubts really... I guess guaranteed money to the RLIF, good attendances and media coverage are the main doubts really. I am less worried about RU jumping on the back of any successes or the potential lack of development in North America as realistically, the RLWC is about the RLIF making as much money as possible to grow the sport across the globe. If your bid is accepted, it's a massive step into the unknown and I guess that's the risk... the game has never attempted anything like this in a new market on such a scale. Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely support the bid if accepted and would almost certainly come to watch the tournament as it'd be the most exciting development the sport as ever seen in my opinion. So I guess if you could nail those points in bold, great stuff and that for me would be an amazing success. 

Oh, the fate of RL in England has nothing to do with the 2021 bid; that's all down to the RFL and it's willingness to change its mindset and move into the 21st century. It's an incompetent organisation and is failing miserably.

Good luck with your bid and more than happy to contribute my opinions in the future.

No Spinner I acknowledge that a group of dedicated volunteers has led the development in most non RL countries.  Its one of the reasons why support is so low, it would be great if the RILF would give grants and other support.  But since this foundation has not been created.  I don't think a WC would work.

You yourself acknowledged that you don't think it could be a success in Football season.  Are you back tracking from that now? Why wasn't Jacksonville included in the bid?  It is the one place in the U.S where RL can get a decent draw as you have shown time and time again.

Yes I am certainly back tracking on my thoughts on the time of year. After doing a LOT of research on the concept, cities that could host, TV reach, potential sponsors and marketing, I am 100% in support of the bid. After looking at everything that is available to see, there is actually little, if any, conflict with the NFL or Cities they operate in. 

My initial reaction was admittedly more that we have heard so called "big ideas" many times before in the USA, and not one of them have got off the ground. I had to remind myself that 1) I had become jaded on such big ideas, and 2) 11 Years ago, many people told myself and others within the Axemen that starting a Rugby League team 600 miles from our closest rival would never work, and we would last 1 season.

So after taking a moment to look at this as a big picture concept, and the professional approach, I am convinced it will deliver a LOT for the Global Growth of our sport. And yes I have researched conflicting events in the timeline, what I can find online in each of the mentioned cites during Oct/Nov or 2021, and other international events that are planned already for that time frame, etc. And there is nothing that I can find that will take away from the event. And with 4 years to plan, there is no reason to believe that sponsors, TV and venue support cannot be taken to a new level within the USA. 

As for the cities, I am sure they are not 100% locked in at this stage, and Jacksonville will have time to present it's case to host a game or two. That I do agree on; It has proven it will support the sport.

So after taking a moment to look at this as a big picture concept, and the professional approach, I am convinced it will deliver a LOT for the Global Growth of our sport. And yes I have researched conflicting events in the timeline, what I can find online in each of the mentioned cites during Oct/Nov or 2021.

Is Oct/Nov 21 when they are looking at running the competition? I must have misread somewhere then; thought Jun 21 was being proposed... 

Is Oct/Nov 21 when they are looking at running the competition? I must have misread somewhere then; thought Jun 21 was being proposed... 

I have not seen a date anywhere that is confirmed, and I am sure the RLIF will have some input. But either way, after my initial "reaction" that was due to seeing so many "false hope" ideas on the USA over the last 20 years, I stepped back and actually spend time looking at this objectively.

I have tried to shoot holes in the idea. I have tried to find negative sides to it. And yes, I realize there will need to be a return as was the case in 2013 and presumably 2017. And I cannot find any reasons that hosting the RLWC 2021 in the USA (and Canada, which I think is a really smart partner), will do anything other than push RL into a much bigger global market. 

The opportunity this brings to the game on a Global Scale is huge in every facet.

The truth is that the chance to everything surrounding RL and the desire to be global, is just bigger when it includes US TV, Marketing and Sponsor Dollars. The market, domestic and international, is just bigger when backed by US brands, TV, sponsors, etc.

They have not said a specific date but acknowledged that it would be during football season. So Oct/Nov is most likely the dates.  This is the most crowded time of the sporting calendar in the U.S.  During that time it would be extraordinarily difficult to get any media exposure.  If they could get it televised, I don't think a network would pay in the U.S.  It would probably be buried on one of the gazillion channels that now exist. 

USRLFAN... Can you please stop saying that the NFL is the king of sports... 

"if he NFL comes to London... they will rock London", '

"if the NFL comes to Manchester, RL is in danger" 

"if the NFL comes to sydney, the NRL will die..." 

"if the NFL goes to china, all the chinese will stop eating rice"

are you done with these " ***** " analyses?

If the NFL could do it with its billions dollars, they would have done it. do you think that the entire world will "buy" this sport (which has some great aspects, no doubt..but..)? In France, they can expend as much as they want, we will not play it. do you really think that NFL is THE global sport? as far as i know, only north amercia is really into it. In Europe, EVERY SPORTS leave in the shadow of SOCCER. USA is developping RU (and RL) really fast... much much much much faster than the NFL in Europe... Except for one night of superball i dont think people in Europe really get intrested into th NFL 

The NFL has rocked London. They hold 3 games a year and they average over 80,000 fans to those games and they have been doing it since 2007.  They will soon put a franchise in London.  I believe it will be a success because of their careful and meticulous planning. Which is the opposite of what this bid is.   They tested the waters and gradually created more demand.  You are correct in that the NFL doesn't care about France.  Most likely target after England would be Germany.

Is there a profit guarantee from the England bid? If so and the US match it then I think it's worth a punt. I'd be wary of putting it all in monster NFL stadiums but if you could get 300K-400K spectators over the tournament then it'd be enough of a success and I think that's plausible.

Is there a profit guarantee from the England bid? If so and the US match it then I think it's worth a punt. I'd be wary of putting it all in monster NFL stadiums but if you could get 300K-400K spectators over the tournament then it'd be enough of a success and I think that's plausible.

Yes - see conversation above.  Thanks.

If the 2021 RLWC isn't held in the UK and France, I would suggest it would be very detrimental to the health of the game here . Arguably Europe is still a developing market itself where the sport's profile needs to be given a boost in a rapidly changing sporting environment.

If the powers that be don't maintain at least the pretence that RL is a top level world sport, and hold events reflecting that here, then the risk of sliding into terminal decline as a shrinking regional game will be hard to stop.They don't do a great job as it is, as recent history has shown.

Can you imagine how few UK people will watch a US World Cup on TV with games starting at midnight or later here (and probably on a satellite channel). It would barely register. And all around the time a new Superleague TV contract deal needs to be done.

I'm sure there will be opportunities to host big events in N America (Confed Cup maybe?) I wish we were strong enough to take the risk. But we're not. A RLWC with at least some games on the BBC is the one thing that moves the dial outside the heartlands, and we actually can't afford not to have it here. 

Funny, I came to this site because I wanted to hear from and speak with European fans who have either been silent or remain "on the fence," worried about the money and the future of their sport.  I don't believe this actually is a money issue - I think it's exactly what you raised:  "the risk of [rugby league] sliding into terminal decline [in England]."  If the decision is made on that basis, I think a grave error will be made.

The entirety of the Polynesian Islands and majority of Aussies and Kiwis support our bid. They want to see our beloved, Greatest Game grow and be part of an international movement in which there is meaningful competition.  Except for Papua New Guinea, where the NRL has invested time and money, Rugby League has had to rely on "organic" international growth.  That  has meant ex-pat Aussies (in Florida, Spain, Canada, Colombia, etc.) rallying some mates to organize a club, an approach that will take several generations to reach critical mass - if the sport isn't killed off before then, even in Australia.

With respect, Rugby League will not be considered a "top level world sport" until its World Cup is meaningfully staged OUTSIDE of England/Australia, and it will continue to slide in to decline unless and until it is relevant (again) and inspires investment.  Our idea is not without risk, but that is the most powerful statement we can make about why we submitted a bid to bring the RLWC to the US in 2021, and why we've received strong support from much of the community.  

Thanks for hearing us out. I only wish I had more time to sit down and speak with all of you in person, including USRLFAN.  Exciting times we live in...

I don't believe this actually is a money issue - I think it's exactly what you raised: "the risk of [rugby league] sliding into terminal decline [in England]." If the decision is made on that basis, I think a grave error will be made.

The terminal decline in England is due to the RFL's own poor decision making, insular attitude and incompetence. If your bid fails to 'protect' the game in England, then I'd absolutely agree with you that it's a grave error. If you can generate the same income for the RLIF as a tournament in England or Australia, then you'd have my support.

Thanks for hearing us out. I only wish I had more time to sit down and speak with all of you in person, including USRLFAN.  Exciting times we live in...

Thank you again for your time and facing the firing line.

Now on to the issues.

The entirety of the Polynesian Islands and majority of Aussies and Kiwis support our bid. They want to see our beloved, Greatest Game grow and be part of an international movement in which there is meaningful competition.  Except for Papua New Guinea, where the NRL has invested time and money, Rugby League has had to rely on "organic" international growth.  That  has meant ex-pat Aussies (in Florida, Spain, Canada, Colombia, etc.) rallying some mates to organize a club, an approach that will take several generations to reach critical mass - if the sport isn't killed off before then, even in Australia.

Who are the people that support the bid from there?  Have you done polling?  Are you talking about officials?  Statements like that seem vague and arbitrary to me and remind me of that 3on3 basketball statement you made when you talked about amateur development. It looks like Asia pacific members outnumber European reps on the board so I guess you won the bid! Also the NRL put a team in New Zealand, will probably put a NSW cup team in Fiji and SL put a team in France and one in Wales.  That would seem like an investment to me.  Also the areas of the game that are taking the biggest risk are not Aus and NZ but England.  I would be much more in favor of the bid when its Australia's turn to host because the game is on surer footing there.

With respect, Rugby League will not be considered a "top level world sport" until its World Cup is meaningfully staged OUTSIDE of England/Australia, and it will continue to slide in to decline unless and until it is relevant (again) and inspires investment.  Our idea is not without risk, but that is the most powerful statement we can make about why we submitted a bid to bring the RLWC to the US in 2021, and why we've received strong support from much of the community.  

I think what will lead to the RL world cup being taken seriously is when there are more than 3 teams with a shot of winning and the majority of the other teams are not made up Aussies, Kiwis and Englishmen.  Taking it to different locals wont have much effect if no one is playing the game there.

--- You're welcome.  I'm in the hospital looking after my mom this week, so I've got a little extra time!

Now on to the issues.

Who are the people that support the bid from there?  Have you done polling?  Are you talking about officials?  Statements like that seem vague and arbitrary to me and remind me of that 3on3 basketball statement you made when you talked about amateur development. It looks like Asia pacific members outnumber European reps on the board so I guess you won the bid! Also the NRL put a team in New Zealand, will probably put a NSW cup team in Fiji and SL put a team in France and one in Wales.  That would seem like an investment to me.  Also the areas of the game that are taking the biggest risk are not Aus and NZ but England.  I would be much more in favor of the bid when its Australia's turn to host because the game is on surer footing there.

---- Comment is mine based on months of conversations, feedback from a variety of media / officials, and the overwhelming support / interest on the Facebook page we set up several weeks ago to build support for our bid (www.facebook.com/rlwc2021).  To date, I've only met resistance to the idea from UK fans and Union supporters. Requests have been made to conduct several polls come out following the GF's, so we should have better data soon.  FYI - I don't have time to explain my 3x3 statement, but invite you to visit http://www.fiba.com for how they leverage 3x3 to grow basketball to dispel your note that it was also "vague and arbitrary" (in short, 3x3 is easy to organize and play, and local federations are using it to grow the sport with kids/amateurs as well as eventually professionalize it - like 7's, it is a separate "code" within the sport of basketball, and will have a place in the Olympics in the next 10 years to help more nations have a chance to be competitive and spur development).

--- Fair comment on NRL's NZ team - wish they would do the same in Perth - and SL efforts. I was thinking more broadly about fan development in truly "emerging" markets.  I don't generally believe that professional leagues should be responsible for "growing the game" internationally (that should fall to the international federation), but in this case the pro leagues, at leas the NRL, are the only ones with money and the highest incentive to accelerate international growth.

I think what will lead to the RL world cup being taken seriously is when there are more than 3 teams with a shot of winning and the majority of the other teams are not made up Aussies, Kiwis and Englishmen.  Taking it to different locals wont have much effect if no one is playing the game there.

--- Agree 1,000% on your first statement, and - like many - are heartened by attempts to change eligibility and minimum requirements for local players.  Taking it to different locations is only one piece of a strategic plan (you're not going to get off that easy and simplify us to an event, but agree if we're in the same position 5 years from now), and we agree to disagree on whether people playing Union equates to people playing Rugby / League. :)

Curious - Where do you live???? 

--- You're welcome.  I'm in the hospital looking after my mom this week, so I've got a little extra time!

I'm sorry to hear that mate.  Hope she is on the mend.

---- Comment is mine based on months of conversations, feedback from a variety of media / officials, and the overwhelming support / interest on the Facebook page we set up several weeks ago to build support for our bid (www.facebook.com/rlwc2021).  To date, I've only met resistance to the idea from UK fans and Union supporters. Requests have been made to conduct several polls come out following the GF's, so we should have better data soon.  FYI - I don't have time to explain my 3x3 statement, but invite you to visit http://www.fiba.com for how they leverage 3x3 to grow basketball to dispel your note that it was also "vague and arbitrary" (in short, 3x3 is easy to organize and play, and local federations are using it to grow the sport with kids/amateurs as well as eventually professionalize it - like 7's, it is a separate "code" within the sport of basketball, and will have a place in the Olympics in the next 10 years to help more nations have a chance to be competitive and spur development).

I've heard a bit about that campaign by FIBA. In my opinion 7's has that market cornered and there are some pretty big 7's events in the U.S that have that multiple match carnival type atmosphere like in other parts of the world.  That would not be the road for RL in the U.S.

--- Fair comment on NRL's NZ team - wish they would do the same in Perth - and SL efforts. I was thinking more broadly about fan development in truly "emerging" markets.  I don't generally believe that professional leagues should be responsible for "growing the game" internationally (that should fall to the international federation), but in this case the pro leagues, at leas the NRL, are the only ones with money and the highest incentive to accelerate international growth.

At this point it seems that the NRL and to a lesser degree SL are the best positioned to take steps to grow the game and make some money doing so as well.  As I said before I think the NRL should have at least one game a year in the U.S.  I'm surprised Moore sports haven't organized one yet. ;)   Another thing I think NRL clubs could do to promote the game in the U.S would be to recruit a failed NFL player but who was a college superstar.  If Tim Tebow(or someone similar) was trying to break through on the Roosters rather then the Mets. You can bet the NRL wouldn't be buried behind a paywall on Fox.  And how much would that cost?  Not much.

--- Agree 1,000% on your first statement, and - like many - are heartened by attempts to change eligibility and minimum requirements for local players.  Taking it to different locations is only one piece of a strategic plan (you're not going to get off that easy and simplify us to an event, but agree if we're in the same position 5 years from now), and we agree to disagree on whether people playing Union equates to people playing Rugby / League. :)

As far as the Union issue,  I said I think its a big risk, you think its a big potential.  I can see both sides of that argument. If Union wasn't as played in the U.S as it is, the bid would really have no shot.  But it also means they are better positioned to benefit from success of the bid. 

Moore sports was able to hold an amazing MLB event in Sydney.  But the follow through was negligible for baseball in the country. The MLB has pulled funding from the ABL which is now struggling and will play a reduced schedule and the national team played to very low crowds in the WBC qualifier.   I fear that this would be the case with a successful RLWC, I don't think a pro league is viable at this point.  And the reason is that even sports many times larger have trouble maintaining a pro league(lacrosse struggling, volleyball non existent, Union fledgling)

Curious - Where do you live???? 

I live on the west coast in the Los Angeles area.  As I said I have a bit of experience introducing people to a new sport having worked on the NFL in China (China bowl) experiment.  We had major cultural issues with that experiment as many Chinese people viewed the sport as too violent for their culture and their belief that the  sport was not conducive to their physique.  Obviously those cultural issues wouldn't apply in this case.  I think RL could have a place in the U.S and a WC held in the country at some point in the future but it needs more incremental steps.

I'm sorry to hear that mate. Hope she is on the mend.

--- Thank you. She is indeed on the mend. Gets me back east to see the USA v Canada game tomorrow, so added bonus.

I've heard a bit about that campaign by FIBA. In my opinion 7's has that market cornered and there are some pretty big 7's events in the U.S that have that multiple match carnival type atmosphere like in other parts of the world. That would not be the road for RL in the U.S.

--- I read recently that the NRL once held the 7's World Championship around their playoffs. Should have held on to that one.

At this point it seems that the NRL and to a lesser degree SL are the best positioned to take steps to grow the game and make some money doing so as well. As I said before I think the NRL should have at least one game a year in the U.S. I'm surprised Moore sports haven't organized one yet. ;) Another thing I think NRL clubs could do to promote the game in the U.S would be to recruit a failed NFL player but who was a college superstar. If Tim Tebow(or someone similar) was trying to break through on the Roosters rather then the Mets. You can bet the NRL wouldn't be buried behind a paywall on Fox. And how much would that cost? Not much.

--- Unless you're a pitcher, baseball is much kinder to the body, but yes marketing is not their strong suit (funny article today about the NBL's inability to do the basics as well). I'm still waiting for the NRL GM for America to come ashore.

As far as the Union issue, I said I think its a big risk, you think its a big potential. I can see both sides of that argument. If Union wasn't as played in the U.S as it is, the bid would really have no shot. But it also means they are better positioned to benefit from success of the bid.

Moore sports was able to hold an amazing MLB event in Sydney. But the follow through was negligible for baseball in the country. The MLB has pulled funding from the ABL which is now struggling and will play a reduced schedule and the national team played to very low crowds in the WBC qualifier. I fear that this would be the case with a successful RLWC, I don't think a pro league is viable at this point. And the reason is that even sports many times larger have trouble maintaining a pro league(lacrosse struggling, volleyball non existent, Union fledgling)

--- I would generally say that promoters and event companies aren't on the hook for development - that's why our model is much different this go around. In addition to guarantees to RLIF for global work, there's a significant investment in US development. Yes, we can be taught new tricks.

I live on the west coast in the Los Angeles area. As I said I have a bit of experience introducing people to a new sport having worked on the NFL in China (China bowl) experiment. We had major cultural issues with that experiment as many Chinese people viewed the sport as too violent for their culture and their belief that the sport was not conducive to their physique. Obviously those cultural issues wouldn't apply in this case. I think RL could have a place in the U.S and a WC held in the country at some point in the future but it needs more incremental steps.

--- I live in LA myself. Am publicly recruiting you to help develop RL in America. Time to put the cynicism away, unless you have a newborn and can't risk divorce. I'be come across that a few time already.

Moore sports was able to hold an amazing MLB event in Sydney.  But the follow through was negligible for baseball in the country. The MLB has pulled funding from the ABL which is now struggling and will play a reduced schedule and the national team played to very low crowds in the WBC qualifier.   I fear that this would be the case with a successful RLWC, I don't think a pro league is viable at this point.  And the reason is that even sports many times larger have trouble maintaining a pro league(lacrosse struggling, volleyball non existent, Union fledgling)

I would generally say that promoters and event companies aren't on the hook for development - that's why our model is much different this go around. In addition to guarantees to RLIF for global work, there's a significant investment in US development. Yes, we can be taught new tricks.

This is the linchpin if you have solid plans for that it changes things.

--- I live in LA myself. Am publicly recruiting you to help develop RL in America. Time to put the cynicism away, unless you have a newborn and can't risk divorce. I'be come across that a few time already.

Great lets set up a meeting.  I'll pm you my contact info.

The NFL has rocked London. They hold 3 games a year and they average over 80,000 fans to those games and they have been doing it since 2007.  They will soon put a franchise in London.  I believe it will be a success because of their careful and meticulous planning. Which is the opposite of what this bid is.   They tested the waters and gradually created more demand.  You are correct in that the NFL doesn't care about France.  Most likely target after England would be Germany.

This is the exact reason I look at the RLWC as being the best opportunity for our sport in North America, and Globally. A RLWC, backed and supported by the RLIF, NRL, RFL, and all the RL nations in the World (As they would once the host location is awarded) would do exactly what the NFL has done in London. The number of comparisons are many, and outcomes similar.

Our sport needs to break the current 3 Nation model, and it needs to be done in a way that "forces" the current "power brokers" to support the game outside their own backyards. Hosting in North America would see the NRL, RFL, RLIF, RLEF, etc. all commit to not only recognize the sport beyond their own systems, but actually see them invest in promotion, development, and exposure of the game at its elite level on a Global platform. It lets the World see Rugby League being played in its most entertaining and attractive level.

It announces the game as a serious sporting entertainment product, which is what all successful sports are, to millions of potential new fans. 

This is by far, the best opportunity Rugby League has had in decades to grow on a Global Scale.  

They have not said a specific date but acknowledged that it would be during football season. So Oct/Nov is most likely the dates.  This is the most crowded time of the sporting calendar in the U.S.  During that time it would be extraordinarily difficult to get any media exposure.  If they could get it televised, I don't think a network would pay in the U.S.  It would probably be buried on one of the gazillion channels that now exist. 

That is the power of the american entertainment (and i like it). 80000 curious that goes to a game like it was a Beyonce concert. you could have them in France. but starting a local pro league from that is another story... if they start a franchise in London, it might work, as long as they keep enjoying the US hype. but to start a pro league in the UK from that, a pro league that would be the feeder of this franchise... i dont know. but if it can work for NFL it can work for RL. 

So if the NRL relocated some key matches in the US every year, like the SOO (or 4 Nations) and if the Toronto (north american franchie) reach the SL and manage to stay there, you would say that the RLIF should wait... how long, before considering USA/CAN as a serious bid for the WC??  

RL is a spot that was created to play as "Professionnal", it proposed adapted rules to entertained people. of course it was long time ago and time has changed, but the philosophy behind is still viable in a market that looks to be curious. 

Archived