So I phoned the RFL ticket office (ref: Olympic Stadium). Brace yourselves

Scubby

Okay, so through being thoroughly cheesed off with the RFL’s ticketing policy I made a phone call to Red Hall just a few minutes ago to enquire about tickets at the Olympic Stadium. Strap yourselves in because if you love International RL in the UK, this is probably the most demoralising transcript you are going to read for a long time. This is pretty close to word for word as I was making notes (once a journalist).

RFL Operator: Hello RFL Ticket office

Scubby: Hello, me and a group of friends are interested in going to the Australia game at the Olympic Stadium. We want to sit in the upper tier as we did last year. We’ve waited and waited and still they are not available to buy. Why I can’t I buy tickets where I want in the upper tiers?

RFL Operator: Erm, well it is probably due to demand. We do have tickets in the bottom tier at the moment and I think we open the top when they are filling up. Unfortunately, demand hasn’t been that high for this game. We might not open the top tier at all.

Scubby: But this is a game against Australia. Me and my friends sat in the upper tier just last year for the Kiwis game it was packed. Isn’t it logical for us to want to do this again and sit in the same areas? It's Australia.

RFL Operator:  Well as I said it is a demand thing. You could wait and see what happens, we might open those areas up.

Scubby: How long should I wait?

RFL Operator: Erm well, I don’t know exactly what the time plan is. Hold on, if you want to wait a second I will ask someone.

Scubby: I’ve got a group of people here want to buy tickets and can’t.

RFL Operator: How big is your group?

Scubby: Probably only around 8-10 max.

RFL Operator: Oh okay, just hold on one second.

Scubby waits…………..  :no2:                     

RFL Operator: Okay, I’ve just spoken to someone higher up the chain. They said the sections will open up when demand is there. They said they reckon ticket sales should pick up over the next few weeks and then those sections might open up. I would just keep checking back and see what happens.

Scubby: Okay, thanks for that. [i had to hang up at that point because I was so furious]

There you have it. The first game in England against Australia for 5 years (2013 was in Wales). They have booked the Olympic Stadium in London with a capacity of 56k+ and got 44k for the Kiwis in this stadium 12 months ago. This is how they are trying to sell the international game!!

I need a lie down FFS.

What happened to me last year is - I bought tickets in an area of the ground I didn't want to sit in, because I thought it'd sell out (I foolishly thought that I couldn't get tickets in some areas because that had happened!). Then they opened areas of the ground where I did want to sit. I was miffed. So this year, I will wait. Like others (you, for example). And then they'll never open. Because there is no demand. WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!

I was actually at the RFL when you made that call. 

RFL Operator: Oh okay, just hold on one second.

RFL operator to me:  I've got that  guy on the phone again, you know, calling up to have a go at us again. What shal I tell him?

Me: the truth: if he's prepared to pay the whole cost of opening up the upper tiers, then sell him the tickets.

Why would they open it if there is no demand for tickets. This is what happens when you you take away the game from the majority of supporters who are truly interested in the game.

Because this was only 12 months ago. Look at where the bottom tier ends FFS. They are losing 100s of sales through people thinking it is a small time match with a small crowd expected. This is the biggest home international fixture since Wembley 2013. 

_86570244_rugbyleague.jpg

Not sure why Scubby is getting stick here - that conversation gives away all sorts of problems with the RFL's approach to this tournament:

1. Why take the game to such a big ground if they have no confidence in the product or the desire/resources to promote it?

2. Why don't the people on the phone line seem to care that the game is on course for a rubbish attendance?

3. What the hell is the plan here?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

This game is live on the BBC, will probably have Sam Burgess playing, and will be the climax of the group stage with England playing to get to the final following last seasons series win over NZ. The nation will be watching

The RFL should not be penny pinching. They should be doing all they can to sell out the stadium and thus promote our game at its most vibrant.

Seems logical to me , why go the expense of opening up another part of the stadium if the other bits aren't full yet. I imagine there will be a cost benefit tipping point with the sales for the lower sections once that is met then they will open the other bit.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

I know some liked it but I thought the stadium was very poor for watching rugby hence why I'm not going this year. How do they know they're is no demand when countless people are waiting for the tier to open. I will be amazed if we get more than 30k for this or more than 10k at Coventry. I suspect the RFL want these events to fail so they don't have to bother themselves organising such games in the future.

Seems logical to me , why go the expense of opening up another part of the stadium if the other bits aren't full yet. I imagine there will be a cost benefit tipping point with the sales for the lower sections once that is met then they will open the other bit.

Seriously? You book a 56k stadium for the blue chip game of the last 3 years (you got 44k for last year for the Kiwis so this is not ####### in the wind). You then sit with your fingers crossed and open on 20k and hope they fill up before doing anything? FFS

1. They dithered for months before deciding on 4N venues thus losing any early/pre-sale stategy

2. The are giving the impression this will be a tiny crowd to curious neutrals brought in on ticket offers

3. They are giving 24k people who bought tickets last year no chance of buying seats in the same section. Thus cheesing off repeat customers.

Going to London from all parts of the country is not something you decide on a whim. 

What happened to me last year is - I bought tickets in an area of the ground I didn't want to sit in, because I thought it'd sell out (I foolishly thought that I couldn't get tickets in some areas because that had happened!). Then they opened areas of the ground where I did want to sit. I was miffed.

I had exactly the same experience but I've been stupid enough to buy tickets early this time around thinking we would be pushing capacity because it's Australia. Never again. I don't agree with the new eligibility rules and the RFL's incompetence has finally pushed me over the edge. I won't be bothering with the international game once the WC is over.

rldfsignature.jpg

We've booked the stadium. We haven't just booked the lower tier. Any costs would not have been specific to what areas of the ground we sold tickets for. Open the whole thing for f••k sake. I too am waiting for the upper tier to be opened before purchasing. I'll be booking 6 tickets, and i know plenty of others who are also waiting for the upper tier to be opened.

I'd guess we will see zero push for this event in London and the south-east beyond the usual RL email list (once again). its pitiful.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I don't agree with the new eligibility rules and the RFL's incompetence has finally pushed me over the edge. I won't be bothering with the international game once the WC is over.

That's exactly how I feel but might not bother with the game in London or at Anfield this year. Fed up and sick of the incompetence, insular attitudes and self-servicing nature of our sport in this country and Australia. To cap it all off, they are never held to account...

I had exactly the same experience but I've been stupid enough to buy tickets early this time around thinking we would be pushing capacity because it's Australia. Never again. I don't agree with the new eligibility rules and the RFL's incompetence has finally pushed me over the edge. I won't be bothering with the international game once the WC is over.

I'm also having some trouble with the GF tickets. To be honest, I am being put off going to any "showcase" stuff arranged by the RFL at all in future.

I know some liked it but I thought the stadium was very poor for watching rugby hence why I'm not going this year. How do they know they're is no demand when countless people are waiting for the tier to open. I will be amazed if we get more than 30k for this or more than 10k at Coventry. I suspect the RFL want these events to fail so they don't have to bother themselves organising such games in the future.

I'm also beginning to think that the RFL want these game held outside of Yorkshire and Lancashire to fail so that they and other anti-expansionists can turn round and say see nobody cares about RL outside of the "heartlands" and we would have filled the grounds if the games had been played at Wigan and hull.

What I've done before is bought tickets, and then when another area has opened up, called them back and had my seats moved. It was pretty simple

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Has anybody seen any advertising of this on the BBC out of interest?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived