Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

So I phoned the RFL ticket office (ref: Olympic Stadium). Brace yourselves

I wanted a ticket in the upper tier - told they weren't available so I bought tickets elsewhere. I love rugby league and was not going to miss the chance to watch England v Aus in London

Ak yourself - do you want to go the game? If the answer is yes, buy a ticket - everybody's happy

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I wanted a ticket in the upper tier - told they weren't available so I bought tickets elsewhere. I love rugby league and was not going to miss the chance to watch England v Aus in London

Ak yourself - do you want to go the game? If the answer is yes, buy a ticket - everybody's happy

Damn, I'm out of likes.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

But I know I can buy a ticket the day before if I want one. It is not about me or you or Geordie Saint etc. we will be there come hell or high water.

So should I buy a ticket now at full price behind the goals in a part of the stadium I don't want to be? Or should I wait and wait for the opening of the upper tier or the LONDONLEGACY half price code or 60% off Groupon deal the week before. You have to ask what kind of buying habits are the RFL encouraging here? They are really testing our resolve. RL fans are savvy not stupid (most of us are tight northerners).

This thread is not about the people on here. We should make up the minority in a London major test crowd. We were in the minority at Wembley in 2013.

Edited by Scubby

But I know I can buy a ticket the day before if I want one. It is not about me or you or Geordie Saint etc. we will be there come hell or high water.

So should I buy a ticket now at full price behind the goals in a part of the stadium I don't want to be? Or should I wait and wait for the opening of the upper tier or the LONDONLEGACY half price code or 60% off Groupon deal the week before. You have to ask what kind of buying habits are the RFL encouraging here? They are really testing our resolve. RL fans are savvy not stupid (most of us are tight northerners).

This thread is not about the people on here. We should make up the minority in a London major test crowd. We were in the minority at Wembley in 2013.

Like Brooza, I have run out of likes today.

Why do you think they have these discounted offer codes close to the event?

Because people like you don;t buy tickets in the first place -if you did and everybody else did guess what? The marketing team wound't have to discount tickets, they could focus on a "Nearly sold out, get your tickets quick" message instead.

If you're happy waiting then fine - but you are part of the cause

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Because people like you don;t buy tickets in the first place -if you did and everybody else did guess what? The marketing team wound't have to discount tickets, they could focus on a "Nearly sold out, get your tickets quick" message instead.

It's actually the other way around, the RFL strategy for selling tickets late, and at a discount, for a decade or more has created this attitude amongst fans. They've encouraged an attitude of 'why buy now when I know I can wait until the last minute and pay half price?' and that seems pretty dangerous to me.

I think the only way to address it - assuming they want to, of course - is to say in advance "these are the ticket prices, there won't be any last minute discounts, we think it's a fair price for top class international sport". The first year they do it they might see a drop in sales, but eventually people will realise that the price set is the price paid. The sport will be better off in the log run for it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Sorry that is rubbish. It is because people like me (and many many more) have bought full price tickets months and months out from the cup final or test matches previously only to find the game selling them at half price or less 3 months later. 

Now the RFL want us to buy tickets at full price and not even be able to sit where we want. This is 2016 people are not stupid. London give away offers filter through to Leeds and Warrington. We know the upper tier will open eventually but 1000s and 1000s don't.

The game dictates buying habits with its attitude and approach. I follow many sports and attend many major sporting events. I can assure you I behave in completely the opposite way to this because it benefits me to buy early and secure my prime seat (where I want).

As much as we love RL we are customers not disciples. In 1992 I paid £50 for a GB v Aus Wembley ticket 6 months from the game. Why? Because that was the price of the best ticket - for everybody! That is what drives things.

Edited by Scubby

I personally buy my tickets in advance; did the same this year for Coventry (along with 10 others for mates who've never attended) and organised a coach from Kings Lynn within days of this year's fixtures being announced. However, after a pretty rubbish experience at OP behind the posts in the top tier last year, I'd like to sit on the halfway line in the top tier this year. It's got nothing to do with awaiting for discounts or anything else and has everything to do with viewing experience. I can't speak on behalf of Scubby but knowing his attitude for the international game, I think you are absolutely wrong with your assumption about people like him and me, our attitudes to buying tickets and being part of the cause.

The cause itself is p*** poor forward planning by the RFL. These games and tickets should have been announced/released immediately after last year's Test Series to take advantage of the feel good factor of that series win. Awaiting until Apr (5/6 months after) is unacceptable; how much interest did they lose on the back of that; how much revenue did they lose as people (neutrals) spent their spare cash elsewhere on other events? Once the games had been announced, tickets weren't released for another month or so and we had the stupid 'pre-register' concept which literally gave you no advantage whatsever. Once tickets had been released, as a club representative, nothing was sent to community clubs anywhere in the country through organisations like the London RL Foundation until late June/July. Again this is p*** poor forward planning; clubs should be offered tickets immediately on release as many clubs outside of traditional areas have players with other interests around Oct/Nov. Knowing this, I contacted the RFL and they said they offered deals to clubs but hadn't been released yet; why not?! I refer you to the 2 x p*** poor planning references. Within days I'd tied down 55 paid spectators for the match. 

But that's only part of the problem; there is absolutely no promotion for these games anywhere bar a bit on social media which is targeting the same spectator base; the core support. Nothing is being done to entice any neutrals to these games. EastLondonMike has highlighted there is sod all promotion around the ground and I saw zip all at Wembley this year bar the video clip at half time. The RFL are underselling the tournament greatly, relying on the core support to buy tickets for every game to boost the crowd as they already do with the Challenge Cup, MW and GF. It simply isn't good enough. They are not creating any demand for tickets and that's why they are having to offer cheap discounts on GroupOn etc; the RFL and their p*** poor planning are the cause, not fans like Scubby.

Edited by GeordieSaint

It's actually the other way around, the RFL strategy for selling tickets late, and at a discount, for a decade or more has created this attitude amongst fans. They've encouraged an attitude of 'why buy now when I know I can wait until the last minute and pay half price?' and that seems pretty dangerous to me.

I think the only way to address it - assuming they want to, of course - is to say in advance "these are the ticket prices, there won't be any last minute discounts, we think it's a fair price for top class international sport". The first year they do it they might see a drop in sales, but eventually people will realise that the price set is the price paid. The sport will be better off in the log run for it.

You also feel a bit done over. You buy early, in the seats you don't want. Then the RFL open other parts of the ground, that you actually wanted, and flog them cheap. Thanks for your support, you mug!

You also feel a bit done over. You buy early, in the seats you don't want. Then the RFL open other parts of the ground, that you actually wanted, and flog them cheap. Thanks for your support, you mug!

Absolutely! 

Or, you call them up and get your seats transferred

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

You do that as like some of us, you are a RL fanatic. But you shouldn't have to. This is 2016; we live in a digital globalised age. You really shouldn't have to do that. 

Why should you have to do that? And is that guaranteed? Don't forget, as much as I love RL, I am a paying customer. 

Not just tv reasons, RL isnt big enough to dictate its own terms. For example what stadium could RL use? The sport doesn't own one at national level so has to wait for a window when one is free of use. Policing is another factor...two games on at the same time is often prohibited due to stretching police resources...an England vs Scotland game at Wembley is enough on its own to do that.

London - one of the biggest cities in the world - can, and often does, hold multiple sporting events at the same time (Every Saturday at 3pm for example). I can't believe that the reason we are playing on a Sunday and not Saturday is because there is football at Wembley on the Friday. It isn't two games going on in West Yorkshire on the same day.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

London - one of the biggest cities in the world - can, and often does, hold multiple sporting events at the same time (Every Saturday at 3pm for example). I can't believe that the reason we are playing on a Sunday and not Saturday is because there is football at Wembley on the Friday. It isn't two games going on in West Yorkshire on the same day.

It'll be for TV and imagine the RFL don't want to go up against their competitors for ratings as we'd lose.

They might even be wanting to attract some of those supporters as well; it might help to actually tell them though...

Edited by GeordieSaint

Also, is it not plastered all over the tickets "no transfers or refunds". A lot of people would assume that means no transfers...

Having taken the time and trouble - and cost, to support RL, why on earth should you then have to chase it up just to get the seat you wanted in the first place? That's unreasonable, especially in this day and age.

Many people are viewing this from a dedicated RL fan point of view. But there aren't 50K regular RL match attendees in London, so the people who might attend do not fit into this category and telling them to get a seat they don't want and maybe change it later will not wash.

But all that is irrelevant anyway if no bleeder knows the games are taking place anyway!!!!

My own personal paranoid opinion is that someone wants these games to be sparsely attended so that we can go back to having the games in the usual places as 'people just aren't interested'. And then not fill Huddersfield. They do this - then count me out too.

London - one of the biggest cities in the world - can, and often does, hold multiple sporting events at the same time (Every Saturday at 3pm for example). I can't believe that the reason we are playing on a Sunday and not Saturday is because there is football at Wembley on the Friday. It isn't two games going on in West Yorkshire on the same day.

It does, though a major England game at Wembley involving the neighbours is not the normal Saturday 3pm kick off. In addition, PL games in London are often staged at different times, especially major games (Arsenal vs Chelsea not being on at 3pm for instance, or being played at the same time as West Ham vs Spurs). Anyway the Wembley game is on Friday so whats stopping the RL game being played on Saturday?

The other factor, as I said, is stadium availability. Without owning its own stadium RL cannot plan games in advance (unless it works out a deal like with Man U and OT). World Cup fixtures though I'd doubt would shift for anything.

Edited by SamM

There's actually no point holding the game in London if you're not going to go all out and promote it to non-regular fans in the south, and just rely on the desire and wallets of the northern fans. Either you take the financial risk to promote a London game - maybe even plan for it to be a loss leader - or just hold the game in a big northern football stadium and rake in the cash for the sport that way. If it had been in Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds, I'd have happily come up and made a weekend of it. What we have now is the worst of both worlds. 

Anyway the Wembley game is on Friday so whats stopping the RL game being played on Saturday?

Err - which was my point in the first place! It's irrelevant what the policing situation is at Wembley on Friday. England vs Aus was never a consideration to be played on the Friday night in London.

London has more football teams than simply those in the Premier League by the way. Multiple Premier League games in London may not always kick off at the same time, but they are still played on the same day.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

RL fans are so fortunate when it comes to internationals. Tickets are always available so there's no excuses for not going. Plus if you wait a week before the fixture they go up on groupon and wowcher discount websites as 2 for 1 so half the price. You would be stupid to buy your ticket in advance and effectively paid double the price. That's what I'll be doing with mates for both the games in London and Coventry.

RU on the other hand you've zero chance of getting Six Nations tickets while its difficult for Autumn Internationals. Besides even if you do get them they'll cost at least £80 and that's not even against the big teams. I think the New Zealand game next year will be £100 for the cheapest tickets and there'll be next to none of them available which is totally unfair.

RL wins hands down in this regard.

It'll be for TV and imagine the RFL don't want to go up against their competitors for ratings as we'd lose.

They might even be wanting to attract some of those supporters as well; it might help to actually tell them though...

Aren't the RU autumn internationals usually on Sky? I don't think ratings are a consideration as we'll be on the BBC so should outrate them by default. Column inches is a different battle of course. Wouldn't advise the same kick off time, but we could still play the same day. Sunday KO to me says the BBC have something "better" to show on Saturday.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours