Conference Challenge Trophy Final

So the game played out pretty much exactly how I expected - lots of good forward play from both sides. I think our boys can't have too many complaints about the half time score being 14-6 Rochdale.

Second half we obviously had a great start and pushed on from there, regrettably however could never quite give ourselves a big enough gap and at the time I questioned Mayfield's decision to take the two a few times but ultimately that's won them game.

Both teams agreed that's the toughest enounter they've been in this season. Yes there was a couple of flare ups but this was a cup final with a lot of passion from both sides. I'm not going dignify 'Big Doug' comments about our fans with a reply - there were over 1200 people there and I certainly didn't see any fighting so I can only assume he's referring to some of the songs that were been sung......seriously

Overall it was a great day and game. Our confidence won't waiver - we'll be aiming to win Div 1 next year and then we'll be where we ultimately believe we should in the Prem (I know speaking like that upsets some precious people on here but hey ho) and I'm sure we'll have many close ties with Mayfield in future.

I went to the game as a neutral and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wasn't the most expansive and free flowing game I've ever seen but the fact it was so close, fiercely contested and had a little bit of needle, all combined to make it gripping nonetheless.

Parkside started brightly, they look a very big, powerful outfit, with bags of enthusiasm and concentration and were frequently driving Mayfield back in the tackle. They were value for their early lead and at that stage in the game I thought Mayfield might just get a bit steamrollered because it was shaping up to be a battle of forward muscle and Mayfield were losing it, which I doubt happens to them often so credit to Parkside for that.

As the half wore on however, without being massively expansive Mayfield began to show just a little more of the craft and guile that probably comes from facing stronger opposition every week, and began to take control, going in 14-6 up at half time. They were helped by the fact that once they got their noses in front, Parkside began to really lose their discipline. They were getting justifiably hammered in the penalty count and some of their antics were rather unedifying I have to say. There were one or two naughties in the tackle and the markers seemed to be lashing out after every other play the ball. They had one yellow card during this period and to be honest there were quite a few other incidents that could well have warranted the same, or more. I saw Mayfield a couple of times last season when they were no angels themselves, so I was expecting them to react and be just as bad to be honest, but fair play to them, they kept their cool for the most part. I could only see Parkside's discipline getting worse and fancied Mayfield to win comfortably at half time.

But, following a questionable Mayfield decision to start the 2nd half with a short kick off that didn't go the 10, Parkside got an early score, followed soon after by a melee that saw a red card for Mayfield and just a yellow for Parkside. I was at the opposite end of the stand to the incident and whilst it appeared to me that Parkside were the team more intent on violence throughout it, from that range, and amidst such a sea of bodies, I honestly haven't a clue whether or not the Mayfield player did something to warrant his red card, so I'll assume the referee was correct. This was followed shortly after by another yellow for Mayfield, again I couldn't tell from that range what it was for so I'll assume the ref was correct, and the numerical advantage and renewed belief saw Parkside race in to a 20-14 lead.

I couldn't see a way back for Mayfield at that stage and thought it was going to be one of those type of games games we've all seen that seem unjust, where when it turns tetchy, one side are the perpetual aggressors, but it's their opponents who finally snap and commit the offence that the ref deems worthy of a red, and the aggressors go on to win. I was even more confident that Parkside would win when it became apparent that having regained the lead and the numerical advantage, they were wise enough to realise that if they just kept their discipline they would be overwhelming favourites to win the game and fair play to them for adapting their behaviour accordingly.

Following the Parkside points burst I thought Mayfield might crumble, but they kept plugging away and were at least a match for their opponents from there on, but I just couldn't see them crossing the line to be honest. Two penalties in front of the posts raised a few eyebrows when Mayfield opted to take the 2 on both occasions. I found the first one to be an odd decision myself at first, though I'm not sure if they were still down to 11 at the time so it might have been a case of trying to run the clock down a bit till they were back up to 12 men, in which case that's understandable. And to be fair, when they went for goal the second time I could kind of see the logic because whilst they were matching Parkside territorially, they were struggling to penetrate near the line, and in a game of so many penalties, getting themselves within 2 points had some merit.

In the final 10 minutes Mayfield finally began to threaten a little, almost going in at the corner at one stage, but the Parkside defence stayed firm, and if I'm honest it came as a shock to me when, with time rapidly running out, a high hanging kick to the corner saw 2 players challenge for the aerial ball, which dropped kindly for another Mayfield player to score in the corner. There was some question over whether there was a knock on during the aerial duel, I had a good view and if I had to stake my life on it I thought the Parkside player got the first hand to it and knocked it on to the Mayfield player, but I say that without great confidence, and there's no doubt it was a call that could easily have gone either way.

The conversion from the touch line was successful, which felt almost incidental at the time, but Parkside had what would have been a very kickable penalty as they piled on the pressure at the death, so with hindsight, the significance of that conversion should not be overlooked.

I hadn't realised there was quite so much time left after the restart, and there were a fair few tackles made very close to the Mayfield line in a very tense closing 2 or 3 minutes, but they held firm to lift the trophy and enjoy some very enthusiastic celebrations. Will be interesting to see how they get on in Leigh next week.

I fully expect Parkside to power through the first division, and I think they'll be right in the mix with usual suspects in the top 5 or 6 of the Premier division the season after. Whilst in one sense they'll find it tougher having to play that quality of opposition on a more regular basis, it will probably also stand them in better stead for big occasions like cup finals and play off games come the end of the season. It might also teach them that a propensity to spend long periods of a game wanting to fight everybody will cost them dear in close games.

I noticed a few comments about the behaviour of Parkside's fans too, but I certainly didn't see any violence. They were certainly rowdy, there was certainly foul language and lewd gestures, and at times their behaviour might have been described as somewhat uncouth, some of which was no doubt alcohol induced. But anybody who thinks we are ever going to entirely eliminate that from the game is dreaming. It's a robust and confrontational sport, and that will always lead to industrial language and impulsive and highly emotional behaviour in the stands, and to be fair I'm not sure I'd enjoy attending games as much if we were to sanitise the atmosphere to something akin to a tennis match. It is regrettable that children, and adults who don't like it, should be exposed to some of that, which is why I'm a big advocate of 'family' sections within grounds where such things will not be tolerated. That way everyone has a choice and knows what they are walking in to. I'm not blaming the organisers of yesterday's game at all for not doing that when it's not even commonplace in Super League, not to mention all the associated logistical difficulties of implementing it for volunteers at that level. But had such a scheme been in place then the only things I personally witnessed that I would consider to be crossing the lines of decency in a more adult oriented environment, was the rather puerile decision of a significant number of them to boo the officials at the presentation (a handful did the same to the Mayfield team).

Anyway, a good day, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That is a very very good report of the game and the proceedings.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

Have to agree with davo5,they have been blowing there own trumpet a bit too much,not too dissimilar to Hunslet warriors 3/4 years ago ,look what has happened to them ....could find it a lot tougher next year than expected,cant just try n steamroller the better clubs down the middle,a lot of flair in the backs required

Theres no excuses we lost thats that...

See you all in a years time..

Cant have a division 2 side winning the elite competition cup can we!!

Don,t be such a marde ###### and accept the result.

Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

Worked against miners and worked yesterday for most of the game..

Was scrappy at times mayfield are very simalar to us big forwards and their a top club in premier...

Face it you dont like new clubs upsetting the odds

Nothing against new clubs upsetting the odds,there has been a few clubs that have come into the NCL and won consecutive promotions to the premier,Kells being the latest,but they,like most of the others did it with modesty and a bit of class,something that seems to be sadly lacking with sections of your club.

Maybe we do have a bit of a 'everyone hates us, so we don't care' mentality which probably stems from for many years being regarded as the bully boys from winter rugby that weren't ever going to be good enough for the NCL (not saying by all but definitely by many) so for us everything we do feels like it's upsetting the status quo and I must say we thrive off it.

We know that'll make some people/clubs want to see us fail/get knocked down a peg or two but that won't bother us one jot. We know deep down we have full respect for every team we play and I don't think we've ever proclaimed to be 'the best amateur side in the country' as was suggested, but we're not shy in saying that is ultimately our goal. 

And as for 'class and modesty' tend to find most clubs lose this as soon as things aren't going their way so at least we're consistent from the outset, if that's really how you choose to view us. 

no disrespect to hunslet you had a great year but your disapline lets u down a lot of the times when your moveing up the leagues like ur one thing that needs to be addressed

Can't argue with that - kill ourselves with penalties sometimes and that really tells against better opposition. 

I'm sure that'll be top of the agenda when a new coach comes in next season. 

As a neutral fan on Saturday, it was a very well contested game. I admit both sets of fans contributed to the foul language from where I was sat, another disappointment was I didn't see any programmes on sale considering the outcome of the finalists was confirmed quite a few weeks ago.

They only produced 120 programmes..

Even the players had to buy one too

Sadly i think the rfl had forgotten about the CCT and the amatuers that day..

Spoke to some rochdale lads and they was disappointed how everything went too..

Hope its better for the next 2 teams who contest the final there next year as the leaguer says it will be played same day every year from now on!!

Yep a bad beat and sour grapes..il be over it soon enough

I'd like to put this across as an Hunslet person but as much as neural I can from what I've read here. The game was played in a high spirit both sides wanted to win and you could see that at the final whistle. For a start we're not bullies we just don't take a step back on that field. And for someone to say our backs need looking at I think they need to look at our try scoring records over the last few years our backs are right up there and we play some lovely rugby and score great try's none of the teams played the rugby they do week in week out and if you was trying to say your backs did they certainly didn't!

A few things from the game we had a try disallowed in the second the half the referee shouted play on it came off his knee which then got over turned by the linesman which is fair enough that's what they are there for then on two separate occasions the linesman made calls in the old boys favour to which the ref ignored one of them been the winning try, and the other occasion the ref turned round and said I'm reffing the game I make the calls again fair enough but he made the call on our disallowed try but listened to his linesman

Where's the consistency????

But we clearly showed we belong in that top division and we will learn as we go up the divisions and are a team that everyone should look at I believe we can get there again and have a good dig in the premier.

We did let oursens down on the penalty count we know that but we learn and we will go again re group and become a better team see you at your place in a few years hopefully

Just noticed on NCL website that Mayfield had 6 teenagers in their 17 for the Final.That is the basis of a good future for the Rochdale team!

r

Those 6 teenagers were from this years under 18 team so it's looking good in the next few years.

On the other hand we had Mat Calland at 45 years old and Chris Hough not far behind that.

Siddal are unbeaten this season at home and with a 6 point cushion in the league they will go into the game with confidence,but if any team can upset the applecart it is west hull,who siddal have had many memorable tussles with in the past..they will get a usual friendly welcome to chevinedge,with many a pint sunk between the supporters who have mutual respect for each other.....see u sat rammo !!!

Siddal are unbeaten this season at home and with a 6 point cushion in the league they will go into the game with confidence,but if any team can upset the applecart it is west hull,who siddal have had many memorable tussles with in the past..they will get a usual friendly welcome to chevinedge,with many a pint sunk between the supporters who have mutual respect for each other.....see u sat rammo !!!

speak for yourself I have no respect for them

Two cracking teams in Siddal and West Hull.

With home advantage I would just favour Siddal. Just wish I could watch it but I will be at Leigh Miners to see if Mayfield can carry on where they left off last week. The match against Hunslett will have taken a lot out of them so I reluctantly think Miners will edge it with Siddal winning the final.

Mayfield fell just short today. The difference between the two teams being that mayfield failed to convert their tries and made more mistakes than Miners.

Good luck to Miners next week at West Hull. I still fancy Siddal to come out victors though.

Archived