Who Trusts Labour?

On the original question, I  think many people trust Labour.  It's just this version they don't trust. Obviously, I'm not a Labour supporter but I really do believe that Corbyn and co are tainting perfectly good, hard working, honest, MPs who who are representing the interests of all their constituents and come a general election, even those MPs will suffer.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardly mid term. Having disposed of Cameron, and like it or not (and I don't) it was largely Labour voters who did this, I'd say we are still in May's honeymoon period.

Brown had a definite honeymoon period and had a 2 digit lead at some points.

However it lasted almost exactly 3 and a half months and then he fell behind in the polls for the next 2 and a half years until they lost the election.

May has been leader for 3 and a half months.

Oh dear,yet more bad news for our half dozen tribal delusionists,who spend their time scouring the inside pages of the Guardian,Mirror and Morning Star to try and substantiate their anarchist views.

Back in the real world,the latest poll brings yet more bad news for Labour,with the Conservatives taking an unheard of midterm lead of 14%.

BMG:

Con 42%

Lab 28%

UKIP 12%

LDem 8%

Green 4%

I suppose this could be just a one off,if it wasn't for a second poll (ICM) which gives an even bigger lead.

Con 43%

Lab 27%

UKIP 12%

LDem 8%

Green 5%

oh well,back to the Morning Star.

Just who are you referring to exactly? If you hadn't noticed there is a thread of currently 208 pages devoted to slagging off Corbyn and Labour on this forum where there is pretty much zero support displayed for the dear leader and his followers. I only see one delusionalist contributing to this thread.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Just who are you referring to exactly? If you hadn't noticed there is a thread of currently 208 pages devoted to slagging off Corbyn and Labour on this forum where there is pretty much zero support displayed for the dear leader and his followers. I only see one delusionalist contributing to this thread.

He is a loony

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Seems the Scots have totally turned their backs on Labour after the two local election results this week.

Banff and District (Aberdeenshire)

Con      44% (+20.9)

SNP      36.%(-19)

LDem   19%  (+8.7)

Con gain from SNP.

Inverurie (Aberdeenshire)

Con     38.8%  (+21.4)

SNP     34.6%  (-2.5)

LDem   22.5%  (+5.1)

Lab         4.1%  (-9.1)

Con gain from L.Dem.

• 3 weeks later...

Fewer and fewer people it seems.

After massive losses of over 20% in recent South Wales L.A. elections,there is yet more bad news for Labour,with only 20% of the national electorate trusting Corbyn,as opposed to 46% trusting May.

Whilst in the latest ICM poll,42% would vote Tory,with only 28% supporting Labour.This would give the Tories 341 Parliamentary seats,as opposed to Labour 182 seats.This at a time when Labour would need to be ahead by around 10% points to have any realistic chance of gaining a majority in the next General Election.

From The Telegraph -

After being taken to task by Andrew Neil on his tv program about not having a shadow immigration minister since summer,  the Shadow Home Secretary, one Diane Abbott has appointed ..... one Diane Abbott as the new Shadow Immigration Minister.  It has not, it is fair to say, gone down well with her fellow Labour MPs.

Abbott is not beloved of the vast majority of her colleagues, who see her as stratospherically arrogant, but with very little justification for such a degree of self-regard.

Nevertheless, until the party’s current experiment with the hard Left burns itself out in a conflagration of bitterness, recrimination and catastrophic losses in the general election, Labour MPs recognise they are stuck with Comrade Corbyn and his 'Merrye Band' until Doomsday (“polling day” to you and me).

In the meantime, therefore, the shape of party policy on the all-important issue of immigration lies in Abbott’s hands. One of her first pronouncements on the subject was that Labour shouldn’t attempt to “out-Ukip Ukip”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/

From The Telegraph -

One of her first pronouncements on the subject was that Labour shouldn’t attempt to “out-Ukip Ukip”.

Well, like a broken clock which is right twice a day, Diane Abbott is actually correct about that, in my view.

We've seen the consequences when the Tories tried to out-UKIP UKIP. It resulted in UKIP getting exactly what UKIP wanted, even though they got far fewer votes than the Tories, or Labour for that matter. Not to mention poisoning political discourse in this country to an extent that at times it feels like we're back living in 1973.

What's to be gained by trying to out-UKIP UKIP on anything? Nothing good, IMO. Labour's job ought to be to out-argue UKIP on every damn thing they stand for. I'm not saying they're capable of that right now, sadly, but it remains their responsibility and their duty.

Well, like a broken clock which is right twice a day, Diane Abbott is actually correct about that, in my view.

We've seen the consequences when the Tories tried to out-UKIP UKIP. It resulted in UKIP getting exactly what UKIP wanted, even though they got far fewer votes than the Tories, or Labour for that matter. Not to mention poisoning political discourse in this country to an extent that at times it feels like we're back living in 1973.

What's to be gained by trying to out-UKIP UKIP on anything? Nothing good, IMO. Labour's job ought to be to out-argue UKIP on every damn thing they stand for. I'm not saying they're capable of that right now, sadly, but it remains their responsibility and their duty.

Which is why #Labstain and other such actions were so doomed to fail.

The tragedy - for Labour and the country - is that the only presented alternative to the craven aping of the worst of the right wing appears to be Corbyn's quasi intellectualised babble.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

Latest YouGov poll.

Con     42%

Lab      25%

UKIP    12%

LDem   11%

Green    4%

In Scotland,

SNP    48%

Con    25%

Lab    15%

LDem   6%

I can see the Lib Dems and Labour meeting in the middle at around 15% come 2020, possibly Lib Dems getting a higher vote share

• 2 weeks later...

Seems even Labour M.P.'s dont trust Labour,with Corbyn critic Jamie Reed,resigning as M.P. for Copland to take up a position in industry.Reed is thought to be the first of numerous moderate Labour M.P.'s considering resigning before the next election or indeed,facing de selection from the hard left.

Reed has a majority of 2,600 at the last election over the Tories,with the bookies now having Labour and Tories tied for the January by election.Labour have held the seat since 1930.A by election defeat for H.M. loyal opposition?!

Might be worth losing,to keep Corbyn going for another few years.

Seems even Labour M.P.'s dont trust Labour,with Corbyn critic Jamie Reed,resigning as M.P. for Copland to take up a position in industry.Reed is thought to be the first of numerous moderate Labour M.P.'s considering resigning before the next election or indeed,facing de selection from the hard left.

Reed has a majority of 2,600 at the last election over the Tories,with the bookies now having Labour and Tories tied for the January by election.Labour have held the seat since 1930.A by election defeat for H.M. loyal opposition?!

Might be worth losing,to keep Corbyn going for another few years.

Why would you want that?  Surely a viable opposition which has a chance of being the government is the best way to ensure the government does its job, doesn't get lazy, or corrupt (see 1990's)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Why would you want that?  Surely a viable opposition which has a chance of being the government is the best way to ensure the government does its job, doesn't get lazy, or corrupt (see 1990's)

I think you just answered your own question.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Trojan,

to be fair,you are correct,a strong Opposition is necessary for good Government,I was probably being a little too mischievous.

All the early indications,suggest that it will be a very close result - could depend on how strong a candidate Labour chose,whether he is a remainer or not and perhaps interestingly from the Corbyn aspect,how left wing.

Not the exclusive presreve of the right, i think youll find.

Yup, cross party activities (unfortunately).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Not the exclusive presreve of the right, i think youll find.

But much more common there.  Plus of course an old boys network that covers these things up, as in Jeffrey Archer's case.  They all knew he was guilty but none of them said so until Jeff decided he wanted to be mayor of London.  It was reported that Norman Tebbit leaning on witnesses cost Alistair Milne his job as DG of the Beeb in 1986.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Latest Yougov -

CON 39 (-3)

LAB 24 (-1)

UKIP 14 (+2)

LD 12 (+1).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived