My Huddersfield experience

You can tell by the headline this could be on the negative side but its meant as my honest opinion of my day.

Having travelled 1,500 miles to watch the game I was treated to silver standard corporate hospitality, got into the ground ok with no problems and got shown to our box fine.

We then sit down and order drinks which take 15 minutes to arrive and so do all our drinks all day.

Looking outside I see no pitch markings, no sponsorship details on the pitch and they have not even bothered to stripe the grass!!

eventually we get treated to the man on the mic who likes to shout and state the obvious all the time!

We have no band in the Middle at any time and then we have a choir facing one stand , hardly very uplifting!!

Lizzie comes on and lifts us all with the first piece of professional performance of the day!

Onto the Haka , Great as usual but then the powers that be tag on Land of Hope and Glory !! Leave at the Haka thats the pinnacle in my opinion.

1 st half was okish , very little singing or atmosphere in the ground

Then we are on to the half time entertainment! OMG it was like going back to the 70s , the Ladbrooks face in the crowd kick for Goal for 5 k ; what a joke one kick each from in front , where is the drama ?, where are the real prizes??

Then this may upset some but this is how badly organised the whole event was , they send in dozens of youngsters who must have been given a morning to practice their routines and it looked terrible.

My overall opinion was it was an amateur production with no class ( Lizzie, Haka apart )

Is it really that difficult to put on a show??

RL will attract no floating followers with this kind of rubbish , especially as the game was certainly nothing to write home about or the interview with Mr Bennett !!

This is 2016 we have to push the boat out, one last thing in the corporate section we got a programme and a blank pocket book! That must have taken a lot of thinking about.

Rant over x

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a scandal,having to wait fifteen minutes for a drink! I agree the entertainment wasn't much good but we went for the game and not the catering or entertainment.I travelled from London and had a great weekend in Halifax and Huddersfield.

Wasn't at the game so might be missing something, but in what world is five grand at half time not considered a "real prize"?

Not sure who goes to watch a close game of international sport and vows never to return as some schoolkids at half time aren't as good as the professionals on Strictly.

Sorry to hear your freebies weren't up to scratch. I'm guessing you were after some lessons in patience?

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Rant not over,

Despite staying in the ground for one hour , we could not get out of the car park for an hour as there were no stewards or traffic control at the traffic lights, its 2016 RFL

Perhaps you should join the real world and go to the pubs and cafes in town and walk from the stadium. You would have had a much better experience mixing with fans from many clubs.

And this is why you should always bring a hip flask to rugby games.

15 minutes for a pint? Top yourself up with a drop of Scotland's finest.

Don't rate the half time entertainment? Don't worry - render yourself half blind with a sizeable slug.

Team hasn't won a meaningful competition in forty years? Never mind, the answer's at the bottom of the bottle son.

That's how I do it anyway and I can tell you I'm a right laugh when I get going.

Wasn't at the game so might be missing something, but in what world is five grand at half time not considered a "real prize"?

Not sure who goes to watch a close game of international sport and vows never to return as some schoolkids at half time aren't as good as the professionals on Strictly.

Sorry to hear your freebies weren't up to scratch. I'm guessing you were after some lessons in patience?

I remember a few years ago the Union lot did a cross bar challenge for a serious amount of cash, the lad won it and it created great headlines, if we want to be mainstream we have to pay attention to detail to the whole package

What if we had put on a crossbar competition for a serious amount of cash and nobody won it?

Again I ask in what world is the potential to win five grand at half time not considered a "real prize"? If you know who has quarter of a million to give away at half time then get them on to the RFL.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

What if we had put on a crossbar competition for a serious amount of cash and nobody won it?

Again I ask in what world is the potential to win five grand at half time not considered a "real prize"? If you know who has quarter of a million to give away at half time then get them on to the RFL.

You can market 250k better than 5 k and the odds are much higher, it would be a sponsor ( Ladbrooks) putting up the cash; did many look at the 5 k kick ? I bet alot more would watch the 250 k kick.

And if anyone kicked the 250 k kick it would generate serious interest .

We need world class events not Micky mouse stuff, its not difficult is it

this post just highlights perfectly the difference between RU and RL in my opinion.

We have a very entertaining game in the balance for the full 80 minutes and somebody was upset by the spectacle.

80,000 people at Twickers can watch a borefest 15-12  in the 6 nations but have the time of their lives because of the "event"

I've always said we have the product, but don't put on the event - would be great to see some improvements soon

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Vows not to return? Where did you read that? T

this post just highlights perfectly the difference between RU and RL in my opinion.

We have a very entertaining game in the balance for the full 80 minutes and somebody was upset by the spectacle.

80,000 people at Twickers can watch a borefest 15-12  in the 6 nations but have the time of their lives because of the "event"

I've always said we have the product, but don't put on the event - would be great to see some improvements soon

Listen its rare that I comment about the off field product I am all about the Rugby really, but if we are trying to create events we should do better.

80,000 people at Twickers can watch a borefest 15-12 in the 6 nations but have the time of their lives because of the "event"

I'm sorry but you do have to realise that the people going to Twickenham really enjoy watching the game. The theory that they go for the event and put up with the game is a ridiculous concept.

Sports fans enjoy watching the sports they are fans of.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Oh no your day wasn't perfect? Poor thing

15 minutes waiting for a drink? Good job you didn't have to queue and wait at the bar eh

Not much singing? There was enough and the band were in fine tune, but it was a tough close game and theywant nervous crowds not singing crowds

Plus us RL fans don't know how to do international games, we don't get enough so without club songs, offensive soccer songs or rah rah tunes there's not much left

For my money it was a great day, Parish pub at 12 for good beer and good grub, already busy with all kinds of fans

Stroll to the ground and in early, big 2pt of beer to keep down bar trips and a damn good build up and game with a cracking atmosphere (apart from the foul mouthed rovers fan who had to be told to keep it down way too often) then a walk back into town

Was it tough getting out in a car, of course it bloomin was! Same as it is in any ground

Anyway, here someone else's pov

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11739093

I went home and watched the 1990 ashes to give myself a shot of Real Rugby!

Today things are different, we are trying to broaden our appeal and create headlines in a hostile media; we need positive things written about our sport to help the game grow and survive

I'm sorry but you do have to realise that the people going to Twickenham really enjoy watching the game. The theory that they go for the event and put up with the game is a ridiculous concept.

Sports fans enjoy watching the sports they are fans of.

I disagree sorry

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Oh no your day wasn't perfect? Poor thing

15 minutes waiting for a drink? Good job you didn't have to queue and wait at the bar eh

Not much singing? There was enough and the band were in fine tune, but it was a tough close game and theywant nervous crowds not singing crowds

Plus us RL fans don't know how to do international games, we don't get enough so without club songs, offensive soccer songs or rah rah tunes there's not much left

For my money it was a great day, Parish pub at 12 for good beer and good grub, already busy with all kinds of fans

Stroll to the ground and in early, big 2pt of beer to keep down bar trips and a damn good build up and game with a cracking atmosphere (apart from the foul mouthed rovers fan who had to be told to keep it down way too often) then a walk back into town

Was it tough getting out in a car, of course it bloomin was! Same as it is in any ground

Anyway, here someone else's pov

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11739093

Think you are taking this the wrong way, I am trying to see how we can improve by looking at what we can do better.

If we continue to think small in all we do that is exactly where we will stay.

There were some Union fans in with me reminding me of the age old story that they prefer the RL club season but much prefer the Union international scene.

We might get a decent write up in the Huddersfield examiner or the Yorkshire post but that is not what international sport is about these days .

I think the OP has a very valid point. We were one of the firsr sports here to embrace entertainment around tge game and whilst some if it was poor some hit the mark and have developed into great events like the Grand Final, Cc final, plus some club events like Hull and Warrington staged this year.

I took a new fan to OP last year and it was dire, pretty embarrassing and flat - and for once the rugby didnt actually dig the organisers out of a hole - that was poor.

If we get a worse crowd, or even just similar at OP then that is a reflection that the event didnt hook people. The RLWC semis at wembley were the same, fortunately the rugby was out if this world that day.

People are spending hard earned cash and spending full days out - standards have changed now, people demand more - we need to catch up imho.

Its well known they go for the overall event rather than just the match

indeed. I know loads of people who go to Murrayfield for the Rugby. Next to none of them go to any club games or could even tell you the rules.

That isnt a criticism of them.

Archived