My Huddersfield experience

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think maybe because it was in a heartlands location and sold out they didn't need to do anything

I suspect that is an element, but there will have been new fans in that crowd - plus times are changing, existing fans will increasingly demand more from big events.

Also, the OP 'event' last year was pretty dire.

Do you think maybe because it was in a heartlands location and sold out they didn't need to do anything

Having read whats going on at Coventry maybe you are right, hope they get the match day experience better there.

Still waiting for a reply from the RFL

Just had a all from Rob Porteous who is the marketing manager of the RFL , really good chat and he highlighted that the venue was not used to such crowds of Neutral supporters and that there was short comings with the service on the day.

As a football ground they had the restrictions of not allowing markings or people on the pitch, very good to chat with him and I hope that the RFL improve their matchday experience for all in the future.

Just had a all from Rob Porteous who is the marketing manager of the RFL , really good chat and he highlighted that the venue was not used to such crowds of Neutral supporters and that there was short comings with the service on the day.

Hasn't the stadium been full of neutral supporters before? Does it matter to the stadium operators whether the 24,000 in the ground are neutral or not? What happens when they have a full stadium for football? That response seems a bit odd to me.

rldfsignature.jpg

As a football ground they had the restrictions of not allowing markings or people on the pitch, very good to chat with him and I hope that the RFL improve their matchday experience for all in the future.

I'm impressed that someone in authority has taken the time to respond to you.

I'd be interested to hear how a crowd of international fans are different from superleague supporters.  Perhaps international fans there for an event are more likely to drink? Perhaps (on average) they've all come further than the average Huddersfield home fan, they get to the ground earlier and make a day of it on the booze?  Who knows, but still doesn't excuse the poor service!

I wonder when the NFL hire Wembley they are not allowed to put markings on the pitch because 'it's a football ground'?

basically;

a) the RFL hired a ground too small to cater for all who wished to attend

B) the staff were not used to 'neutral' supporters leading to 'short comings in service'

c) and despite hiring the ground the RFL were not allowed markings on the pitch

I cannot understand why the RFL took such a glamorous fixture to Huddersfield.

Like you say it was good to get a reply especially over the phone here in Montenegro where i live.

Think they recognised they failed and will try to address some of the issues that have been learnt.

Hasn't the stadium been full of neutral supporters before? Does it matter to the stadium operators whether the 24,000 in the ground are neutral or not? What happens when they have a full stadium for football? That response seems a bit odd to me.

I was trying to be semi positive, they recognised they failed and they will learn and try better, maybe thats all they can do?

I was trying to be semi positive, they recognised they failed and they will learn and try better, maybe thats all they can do?

You're too kind to them!

After 100+ years of staging internationals, any lessons learnt should minor items, fine tuning the operation from one year to the next.

Being surprised at the nature of the fans wanting beer, and how much would be consumed, should be well established by now!

the venue was not used to such crowds of Neutral supporters 

Sorry, but that just sounds feeble.

It was responsibility of the RFL to brief the people responsible for the corporate hospitality at the stadium. If they didn't then they need to look in the mirror, because it was obvious that most of the crowd were going to be 'neutral'. If they did brief them properly, then the fault is clearly with the stadium.

In the latter case, the best response would be to use a different venue next time. There isn't a shortage of 24K (ish) capacity stadiums around, should the RFL want to have a game somewhere along the M62 corridor. If Huddersfield can't provide an acceptable hosting, then go somewhere else.

They failed were his exact words , very dissapointing for everyone I suppose ; I know they should have got it right as you all do ! I hope this is the end of this kind of poor experience!!

I suggested the RFL have a focus group that could be used as a sounding board for future events

Archived