The Club Name

Dave Naylor

Doesn't the name Roughyed come from rough felt hats, that were made in the area in its history?

You could keep the name and it's nod to history (as many team nicknames are) and kep Roary (would be a shame to gib him as he's such an integral character on match days) but add some sort of hat as the tie in to the name....

You could then have Roary wearing the Roughyeds hat, market Roary toys with the same, sell the (specially designed) hats etc..

Funnily enough I was having a discussion with a friend the other day as shed knitted her kids some black and white hats for widnes matches, amd I lamented that people didn't make their own hats/scarves/rosettes any more and that I thought they should make a comeback....so that's what's partly inspired my two penn'orth in this thread

The club could do a comp for fans to design a hat (within certain criteria) that could go along side/work with the

current name/logo/mascot...making a new gimmick (is that the right word?) But also keep the ones who like what's already there happy too

The old club "nickname" thing belongs in the past along with rickets and outside khazis.

Many of the old football names are toe-curling in this day and age. Saddlers, toffees, tykes, shrimps, etc (to name but a few).

The only time a club needs a suffix is if there are two in a town.

From a marketing and merchandise point of view the only thing that I could see different if we changed from Oldham Rugby to say Oldham Jaguars is that we could sell some soft toys. Other than that it is stil replica shirts, polo shirts, scarves etc.

We should stay as Oldham Rugby with Roughyeds as just a nickname as it is now.

Memory needs a nudge so can someone remind me when and why Red Ed the Roughyed became Roary.

Cheers

Roughyeds was always the nickname of the rugby just as Latics is the nickname of the football. I don't see a problem with using the Roughyeds. As turner says in his book'what's in a name?'. He points out that The Bears was used because it was easier to 'market'. Well in my mind ,as a marketing professional, I call that lazy marketing. I think it is possible to promote the club as the Roughyeds. The hard works been done because the new club's been known as The Roughyeds for 20 years. As the BBC newsreader said what a great name for a rugby club.

If

From a marketing and merchandise point of view the only thing that I could see different if we changed from Oldham Rugby to say Oldham Jaguars is that we could sell some soft toys. Other than that it is stil replica shirts, polo shirts, scarves etc.

We should stay as Oldham Rugby with Roughyeds as just a nickname as it is now.

Memory needs a nudge so can someone remind me when and why Red Ed the Roughyed became Roary.

Cheers

If memory serves me well I think Bill Quinn bought the suit atfer it had been used by the GB RL team for the last time before it was broken down in to the four nations again.  Following that, there was an invitation from the club to name the new mascot.

Think that's what happened but I'm sure there will be someone on the site will correct me if that's wrong

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

For marketing etc a return to Oldham FC would be fruitless and confusing as a quick Google search for Oldham FC shows results for the Latics no mention of the rugby, Oldham RLFC on the other hand leads directly to the rugby.

See I always knew the rugby as Roughyeds, does anyone actually know exactly when the nickname was first used for Oldham Rugby? Just out of interest.

Also wouldn't more money have to be spent by the club on a total rebrand if it ever went that way than just actually doing some marketing of the current club/name?

Maybe TAOHAF could help me here,

Is it easier to market a current "known" identity or start from a blank canvas?

Is there any proof that changes in name/identity actually get more people through the gate?

Does actively marketing the brand you have and providing things like fun days/bbqs/special heritage days make more of a difference than a "name"?

Just my thoughts.

Branding is quite complex. It's more than a logo. Nranding is an emotion. Sometimes that emotion is an evolution of the past. The emotion around Manchester United for example has evolved from its history, busby babe's etc. That emotion has then been exploited and turned into what it is today. FC united again is a brand exploited from the emotion of what the glaziers were perceived to be doing to Manchester United.

As far as Oldham RLFC is concerned, it already has an emotional momentum. So we don't knock it down and start again, we use that momentum and steer it in the desired direction.

The question we should now be asking is which direction do we want to go? In other words what is the overall objective? And how does the name help or hinder that objective?

Edit. The objective of The Bears reincarnation was to sell toys and t-shirts and evoke the concept of strength and power.

For marketing etc a return to Oldham FC would be fruitless and confusing as a quick Google search for Oldham FC shows results for the Latics no mention of the rugby, Oldham RLFC on the other hand leads directly to the rugby.

See I always knew the rugby as Roughyeds, does anyone actually know exactly when the nickname was first used for Oldham Rugby? Just out of interest.

Also wouldn't more money have to be spent by the club on a total rebrand if it ever went that way than just actually doing some marketing of the current club/name?

Maybe TAOHAF could help me here,

Is it easier to market a current "known" identity or start from a blank canvas?

Is there any proof that changes in name/identity actually get more people through the gate?

Does actively marketing the brand you have and providing things like fun days/bbqs/special heritage days make more of a difference than a "name"?

Just my thoughts.

Shows how useless Google is! Oldham Athletic AFC would be the correct title.

Branding is quite complex. It's more than a logo. Nranding is an emotion. Sometimes that emotion is an evolution of the past. The emotion around Manchester United for example has evolved from its history, busby babe's etc. That emotion has then been exploited and turned into what it is today. FC united again is a brand exploited from the emotion of what the glaziers were perceived to be doing to Manchester United.

As far as Oldham RLFC is concerned, it already has an emotional momentum. So we don't knock it down and start again, we use that momentum and steer it in the desired direction.

The question we should now be asking is which direction do we want to go? In other words what is the overall objective? And how does the name help or hinder that objective?

Edit. The objective of The Bears reincarnation was to sell toys and t-shirts and evoke the concept of strength and power.

The guy in the bear suit was worth the price of admission alone. He used to crack me up.

• 2 weeks later...

Roughyed is the nickname for the people of Oldham and came about by the town making rough felt hats many years ago. It gradually became associated as the nickname of the towns rugby club over time. I was told many years ago that it refered to the clubs supporters and not particularly the team.

As Roary is now the mascot of the club why not have him wearing a large felt hat like the town used to make,  ( I am sure we must be able to find pictures of them in the towns archives)after all as well as the club mascot Roary is a supporter as well.

As I said previously a change in name needs a gradual approach, so a starting point could be Oldham FC-the Roughyeds. You could play about with the typeface to emphasise one or other of the elements. Eventually FC would dominate over the Roughyeds. The FC has history, so the 'brand' could be reinforced with a history section in the club programme and through Facebook, Twitter and the chron.

The name for me needs to reignite the old supporters of the club upto the demise. A lot of people would have stopped following then mainly due to no association with the new club

I do not know what the answer is but it is clear bears isn't the answer. Maybe fc is and if you want the away kit could be black and gold. That is a link to the first club

Archived