Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is going to win the US Presidential Election

• Trump (Republican)
    • Clinton (Democrat)
    • Don't care (English)

15 hours ago, CanaBull said:

It’s against forum policy to quote entire articles.  It’s all relevant, as would be DuBois’s disagreement with Booker T Washington over the Atlanta Compromise, the direction he wanted to take for the black community in general and how Sanger’s birth control strategies supported that.

You'll have to create your own soundbites I’m afraid, you asked for sources.

I mean one person doesn’t represent black people. They are not a monolithic entity. One black person supporting her efforts certainly doesn’t make her less of a racist. Her views were disgusting! 

6 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I mean one person doesn’t represent black people. They are not a monolithic entity. One black person supporting her efforts certainly doesn’t make her less of a racist. Her views were disgusting! 

Odd that you’d make that statement about the man who was the Martin Luther King Jr of his day, perhaps you should read up on him and his views, he was quite prolific in his writing.  One of the founders of the NAACP and was also on the board of directors for Sanger’s birth control centre in Harlem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

Odd that you’d make that statement about the man who was the Martin Luther King Jr of his day, perhaps you should read up on him and his views, he was quite prolific in his writing.  One of the founders of the NAACP and was also on the board of directors for Sanger’s birth control centre in Harlem.

Look he asked for evidence that black American leaders supported Sanger and shared her views on that form of eugenics.  Now you provided it (thanks by the way) he will move the goal posts.  

Sangers views on aboriginals was horrible, but it certainly was pretty mainstream in the day.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 hours ago, CanaBull said:

14 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Look he asked for evidence that black American leaders supported Sanger and shared her views on that form of eugenics.  Now you provided it (thanks by the way) he will move the goal posts.  

Sangers views on aboriginals was horrible, but it certainly was pretty mainstream in the day.  

I’ve never seen people go to such lengths to defend racist views. I guess her views were justified because she is a historical figure who happens to be a modern accessory of leftist ideology today therefore she gets a pass. Pathetic 

54 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

I’ve never seen people go to such lengths to defend racist views. I guess her views were justified because she is a historical figure who happens to be a modern accessory of leftist ideology today therefore she gets a pass. Pathetic 

I know a reasonable amount about the subject and time period, you asked for certain sources or evidence and I provided some for your information.  I’ve made no opinion whatsoever on Sanger’s attitude toward black people one way or another for you to be so judgemental.

But who would be more reliable judge of that in any case?  A prominent black civil rights leader who actually knew Margaret Sanger, worked closely with her and valued her work, or a 21st century commenter applying a completely different set of values solely for the benefit of his own current agenda, who didn’t?

20 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I know a reasonable amount about the subject and time period, you asked for certain sources or evidence and I provided some for your information.  I’ve made no opinion whatsoever on Sanger’s attitude toward black people one way or another for you to be so judgemental.

But who would be more reliable judge of that in any case?  A prominent black civil rights leader who actually knew Margaret Sanger, worked closely with her and valued her work, or a 21st century commenter applying a completely different set of values solely for the benefit of his own current agenda, who didn’t?

No agenda here. Racism is racism. Whether it occurred in 1800 or now, it doesn’t change or make it any more acceptable. We can all agree slavery was wrong yet it lasted for 400 years. Guess what? For the majority of those years, the world had a different set of values. Does that mean we should have a different perspective on slavery? No and that goes for racism as well. Can’t believe that I’m even having to argue this point 

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

No agenda here. Racism is racism. Whether it occurred in 1800 or now, it doesn’t change or make it any more acceptable. We can all agree slavery was wrong yet it lasted for 400 years. Guess what? For the majority of those years, the world had a different set of values. Does that mean we should have a different perspective on slavery? No and that goes for racism as well. Can’t believe that I’m even having to argue this point 

So you’re suggesting that every slave owner from history should retroactively recognise their own wrongness?  Or how they viewed their world just has no value to you?

45 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

So you’re suggesting that every slave owner from history should retroactively recognise their own wrongness?  Or how they viewed their world just has no value to you?

No but when many leftists today think that it is right to hold people accountable for the actions of their ancestors (especially slavery), it certainly shows that your logic is being applied selectively. Either ALL historical actions/events are justified as being the norm at the time or none at all.

7 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

No but when many leftists today think that it is right to hold people accountable for the actions of their ancestors (especially slavery), it certainly shows that your logic is being applied selectively. Either ALL historical actions/events are justified as being the norm at the time or none at all.

From the outset of this sad little exchange I sought to take the high road, it’s an area I know than the average Joe about, so decided to that exchanging some additional primary information, provided without trying to be contentious, may help further understanding.  The fact you didn’t recognise DuBois’ name is unassailable evidence of that clear need for further understanding, but unfortunately this was all thrown back in my face.

I’m not ‘many leftists’ and I challenge you to find where I’ve disputed that, to our values, Sanger had a bigoted attitude or say and write deplorable things.  You’re arguing with yourself because your own bigotry determines what you think people mean whilst ignoring what they actually write.  Bigotry is bigotry and is always wrong according to you.  Except, of course, when it’s your own.

Even in all my years on science pages dealing with and challenging anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO, climate change deniers and their ilk I’ve always seen fit to keep things open, to not limit the free exchange of ideas and to truly keep speech free.

You’re the first person I have ever had to block.  You really are that bad, though I doubt you’ll see this as anything but a victory, and likely not a reason to pause for self-reflection and betterment.

Edited by CanaBull
grammar
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

From the outset of this sad little exchange I sought to take the high road, it’s an area I know than the average Joe about, so decided to that exchanging some additional primary information, provided without trying to be contentious, may help further understanding.  The fact you didn’t recognise DuBois’ name is unassailable evidence of that clear need for further understanding, but unfortunately this was all thrown back in my face.

I’m not ‘many leftists’ and I challenge you to find where I’ve disputed that, to our values, Sanger didn’t have a bigoted attitude or say and write deplorable things.  You’re arguing with yourself because your own bigotry determines what you think people mean whilst ignoring what they actually write.  Bigotry is bigotry and is always wrong according to you.  Except, of course, when it’s your own.

Even in all my years on science pages dealing with and challenging anti-vaxxers, anti-GMO, climate change deniers and their ilk I’ve always seen fit to keep things open, to not limit the free exchange of ideas and to truly keep speech free.

You’re the first person I have ever had to block.  You really are that bad, though I doubt you’ll see this as anything but a victory, and likely not a reason to pause for self-reflection and betterment.

Well I’m sorry but I cannot bring myself to consider Sanger’s views anything else than what it is, which is racist and bigoted. I’ll leave it at that. Have a good day

😂

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

An elderly man dies and goes to heaven. When he arrives, Saint Peter is waiting for him. The man notices there are billions of clocks around him.

He asks Saint Peter, "what are the clocks for?"

Saint Peter replies, "there is one for each person to have ever lived. They start with all hands pointing to 12 and each time a person lies the hands on their clock move backwards slightly". 

The man points to one clock which is still pointing at 12 and asks, "who's clock is that?" 

That is Mother Theresa's", Saint Peter relies. 

He points to another which has moved only slightly, "what about that one?" 

"That is Isaac Newton's" 

The man looks around for a moment before asking, "where is president trump's?" 

Saint Peter replies, "oh, God keeps trump's in his office, he uses it as a ceiling fan". 

Normal.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

PhotoGrid_1559191598660.jpg

Not sure this is what he meant to write in this bit ..."I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected."

• Haha 1

No wonder Trump likes him.

The navy has confirmed that a request was indeed made to obscure the USS John S. McCain from Trump's view.

Typical modern fascist. Can’t even stand to attention or straighten his hand when saluting. 

(and, yes, I am being flippant)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain