Tanya Arnold - not helping RL in the South.

Bit annoyed by the interview with comedian Adam Hills on BBC today.

AP: do you have an English team you follow?

AH: I don't, maybe I should...

AP: We'll have to give you a tour of the north then...

What about London Broncos or Skolars or Hemel or Coventry or Oxford, Angela? I know it's minor but we really don't help ourselves sometimes. He's probably gone to the game not knowing there were as many clubs in the south now he's gone home thinking there are only ones worth following up north.

His backing not or appearance at a Broncos game or even lower down would be really good for media etc.

Bit annoyed by the interview with comedian Adam Hills on BBC today.

AP: do you have an English team you follow?

AH: I don't, maybe I should...

AP: We'll have to give you a tour of the north then...

What about London Broncos or Skolars or Hemel or Coventry or Oxford, Angela? I know it's minor but we really don't help ourselves sometimes. He's probably gone to the game not knowing there were as many clubs in the south now he's gone home thinking there are only ones worth following up north.

His backing not or appearance at a Broncos game or even lower down would be really good for media etc.

Tanya Arnold not Angela but your point stands. I thought it was okay.

Wow, it seems we really can complain about absolutely everything!

I thought it was a good, entertaining interview.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are you based in the south of England or the north?

South.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So did I.

Put Adam on the list with Russell Crowe for presenting the Challenge Cup or the Super League Trophy. They have the street cred that our sport badly lacks in certain quarters.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Bloody Angela Powers. I bet she mentioned the baby changing facilities too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Good and entertaining yes. But I think what she said (maybe uninteionally) fulfils the stereotype/reality for many neutral viewers and Adam Hills, that RL is for the north.

Irrelevant!

Not really.  If you're a southerner who has come new to the game and then all you hear about is how it's played in the north, without any reference to its presence in the south, the chances are you will be a bit more sensitive to this omission, don't you think?

I'm sensitive to it as a northerner because I hate the way both the BBC and Sky persist in reinforcing stereotypes that don't even have a smidgen of basis in truth anymore given that RL is played everywhere in England these days.  Sure, there is no Superleague team but that doesn't equate to the game only being played in the north of England and it's tiresome to keep hearing it said that it is.

Not really.  If you're a southerner who has come new to the game and then all you hear about is how it's played in the north, without any reference to its presence in the south, the chances are you will be a bit more sensitive to this omission, don't you think?

I'm sensitive to it as a northerner because I hate the way both the BBC and Sky persist in reinforcing stereotypes that don't even have a smidgen of basis in truth anymore given that RL is played everywhere in England these days.  Sure, there is no Superleague team but that doesn't equate to the game only being played in the north of England and it's tiresome to keep hearing it said that it is.

Adam Hills gave his opinion and I think we can all agree that he doesn't need any 'experts' pointing out that he was wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Adam Hills gave his opinion and I think we can all agree that he doesn't need any 'experts' pointing out that he was wrong.

He made a point that it was hard to think of a sport that got less recognition from the media than disability sport... apart from Rugby League.

That hit an uncomfortable spot. True, too. I doubt it will resonate with many journalists, however.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, what you're saying is that a Southerner would be more sensitive to it... but you're sensitive to it because you're a Northerner?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can't we find a funny Australian "comedian" that likes RL?

If you don't think Adam Hills is funny, nominate an alternative.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I understand your point of view but I just see the problem of bias against TGG as the problem for us all.

The tragic resilience of stereotypes is only one part of this  and it goes much deeper.

When we take on this prejudice towards our game we are taking on hugely influential groups and ideas and their apologists right here among our own. 

This is not to demonize them or create the idea of a conspiracy simply to describe the level of what we're up against.

So it's hardly surprising you feel the way you do but the origin of a TGG fan or where they're located is irrelevant here because it's a problem for us all that our sport is portrayed the way it is and any of us are portrayed the way we are.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

It annoyed me as I assume he lives in London, so why not mention the Broncos? OK, we're not in SL at the moment, but we're playing good rugby and he doesn't have to go up to Wigan to watch RL.

People don't understand it's things like this that can change the perception of the sport. I never hear them mention Broncos or Skolars whenever England play in London or even how the fans are locals and not northerners travelling down to the Olympic Stadium. Why pretend we don't exist as it doesn't help the sport?

It annoyed me as I assume he lives in London, so why not mention the Broncos? OK, we're not in SL at the moment, but we're playing good rugby and he doesn't have to go up to Wigan to watch RL.

He said he needed an emotional connection as he got a South Sydney bunny as a gift as a kid as both his dad and Grandad supported them. Perhaps London should send over some merch?

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

People don't understand it's things like this that can change the perception of the sport. I never hear them mention Broncos or Skolars whenever England play in London or even how the fans are locals and not northerners travelling down to the Olympic Stadium. Why pretend we don't exist as it doesn't help the sport?

SL is all that matters, didn't you know that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

He said he needed an emotional connection as he got a South Sydney bunny as a gift as a kid as both his dad and Grandad supported them. Perhaps London should send over some merch?

He needs to get a visit from Buck and Dusty.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived