Italian club enters French local comp.

Hvy wg

1 hour ago, bobrock said:

You say you've read my old posts but if this is true you need to better your knowledge of English language. I have spent months asking about dominant tackles and scoot, and every single term I did not know. I have stayed away from every bit of union for months, until I found out how many wrong and ill-informed things were written about it. I have no need to defend union from anyone, but when some wrong, or silly, or plainly offensive things are written about union fans, why should I let them go ? Would you like to be pointed out as a potential fascist just because you like union ? It has happened to me and you would know it if you really read my posts. Some league fans are used to express their hate for Union in unpleasant forms. They are quite a small number so I don't stop being curious about the game. Some union fans show contempt for league and this is regrettable, but your description of the attitude towards league in Italian union sites is unfair. I wonder why you do so. I could name you a couple when you could hardly find a single word less than respectful about rugby league.

*Comments by users. 
About "I wonder why you do so", I don't have any agenda if that's what you mean. 
But I can see and sarcams/criticism/prejudice over league, alas, is well present in the comments by users of Italian rugby dedicated webistes. 
It's very sad you've been called (?) a fascist here because you like union, btw. 
I did read your post and the main part seemed to me about cricket/defending union. You denied the life ban from Italian ru authorities to those who played league soffocated league...(I've read your points about it and...It just doesn't work: if you know you can't go back, you simply don't go, you don't risk). 
As I've written before, I'm more than happy to go on talking with you and explaining what I meant via pvt, 'cause this thread deserves to be let to those who want to talk about Saluzzo and their dream in rl. 
There's no war by me as I like both codes, although with a little preference to league. I simply don't like arrogance and that's what too many people show when talking about "the other code". This attitude comes from both sides. 
Back on Saluzzo and Mirco, telling a guy who played for Italy for 89 times in ru, one of the few dual code Internationals in a country where rl have been historically hit by ru authorities, a guy who prefers playing league than going to Japan etc. to make money, that he has no dignity etc. is a shame and there are some of the comments I've read. 
Not by websites etc. but by users and commenters. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

*Comments by users. 
About "I wonder why you do so", I don't have any agenda if that's what you mean. 
But I can see and sarcams/criticism/prejudice over league, alas, is well present in the comments by users of Italian rugby dedicated webistes. 
It's very sad you've been called (?) a fascist here because you like union, btw. 
I did read your post and the main part seemed to me about cricket/defending union. You denied the life ban from Italian ru authorities to those who played league soffocated league...(I've read your points about it and...It just doesn't work: if you know you can't go back, you simply don't go, you don't risk). 
As I've written before, I'm more than happy to go on talking with you and explaining what I meant via pvt, 'cause this thread deserves to be let to those who want to talk about Saluzzo and their dream in rl. 
There's no war by me as I like both codes, although with a little preference to league. I simply don't like arrogance and that's what too many people show when talking about "the other code". This attitude comes from both sides. 
Back on Saluzzo and Mirco, telling a guy who played for Italy for 89 times in ru, one of the few dual code Internationals in a country where rl have been historically hit by ru authorities, a guy who prefers playing league than going to Japan etc. to make money, that he has no dignity etc. is a shame and there are some of the comments I've read. 
Not by websites etc. but by users and commenters. 

If you think this thread should be only about Saluzzo why do you keep going at my history as a poster here ? Anyway, in your last line you say you were referring to single users, while in your previous post you talked about union Web sites talking about league only to denigrate it about doping issues and violence. Do you remember what you wrote ?

Dearie me, the other code are so thin-skinned.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, bobrock said:

If you think this thread should be only about Saluzzo why do you keep going at my history as a poster here ? Anyway, in your last line you say you were referring to single users, while in your previous post you talked about union Web sites talking about league only to denigrate it about doping issues and violence. Do you remember what you wrote ?

1) There have been users who denigrate/have a prejuce against rl. 
2) The webistes I'm mentioning do mention league only for scandals. It's an attitude has been critized by some of their commentators, too. 

So yeah, I remember what I wrote and I was talking about two different attitudes. Are we clear? 

+

Ah, Saluzzo won, today. 

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

1) There have been users who denigrate/have a prejuce against rl. 
2) The webistes I'm mentioning do mention league only for scandals. It's an attitude has been critized by some of their commentators, too. 

So yeah, I remember what I wrote and I was talking about two different attitudes. Are we clear? 

+

Ah, Saluzzo won, today. 

And once again I am simply, and as far as I can tell, quite politely too, asking if you could be more specific about these websites, because I am a pretty keen reader of union stuff but I never happened to find them.

Up. 

result_1.jpgphoto libre

This is Saluzzo's Media Relase about the game. It's in Italian of course, but use Google Translate if you want: 

Sabato 25/03/2017 al Centro Sportivo di Manta, è andata in scena Saluzzo NWR - St. Martin XIII, valevole per il campionato francese DN2 PACA (Provenza e Costa Azzurra) di rugby league. 
I saluzzesi scendono in campo con i neo tesserati Mirco Bergamasco e Gioele Cellerino, arrivati a giocare per la formazione del marchesato in settimana. Due colpi esaltanti, che hanno suscitato clamore nella cittadina. 
Causa un'acquazzone terrenziale la gara ha rischiato di essere annullata, salvo poi essere solo posticipata di mezz'ora.
I ragazzi allenati da coach Elio Giacoma affrontano la partita con volontà di vittoria, assolutamente galvanizzati dall'attenzione riversata attorno al club negli ultimi giorni.  
Guidati anche dalla prestazione dei nuovi arrivati, la formazione da subito si mostra aggrassiva sui placcaggi, feroce nel cercare il guadagno territoriale. I francesi soffrono la fisicità ed il ritmo, non riescono ad essere incisivi e finiscono col subire, nei primi 25 minuti, 2 mete. 
La risposta dei rivali transalpini c'è, ma non basta. I francesi accorciano prima le distanze andato a meta, ma subiscono, prima dell'intervallo, un'altra segnatura, a firma Bergamasco. 
La ripresa è più attendista. La formazione "della Piuma" respinge ogni attacco con grinta e determinazione, tuttavia il St. Martin va in meta con una bellissima azione corale.
Cellerino, al termine di un set ricco di guadagno territoriale, figlio di un'ottima prestazione d'attacco degli uomini di mischia, trova ancora una segnatura, fissando il parziale sul 20-10. 
I provenzali sono un avversario tenace, che per tutto il corso della partita non smette mai di crederci, ed ancora una volta, la terza, trova la via della meta. 
Sul finale, Bergamasco chiude i giochi, finalizzando per la seconda volta. Finisce 26-16.
Prima vittoria stagionale per i saluzzesi, culmine di un'avventura coraggiosa ed estremamente complicata quale quella di affrontare una competizione della qualità del campionato francese. Un premio meritato ed una pagina di storia scritta. Il Saluzzo NWR è il primo club italiano a sconfiggerne uno francese. 
Grande commozione tra le file dei marchesali, che al termine scatenano euforia e gioia in un bel terzo tempo.

A little photogallery, too: 

here

+

salu.jpgimage a telecharger gratuitement

Well done to Saluzzo. It's a horrible feeling to go through a whole season without winning a game, great that they have avoided that.

Congratulations to the Merinos too. You might think that a 5 hour journey for an away game in a different country is a big commitment for a team playing at the lowest level of rugby league, but a week earlier, their juniors played in Paris, more than 7 hours drive away. 

Just now, JonM said:

Well done to Saluzzo. It's a horrible feeling to go through a whole season without winning a game, great that they have avoided that.

Congratulations to the Merinos too. You might think that a 5 hour journey for an away game in a different country is a big commitment for a team playing at the lowest level of rugby league, but a week earlier, their juniors played in Paris the weekend before, more than 7 hours drive away. 

Yes, I was just reading about it in their website
Big commitment to the game and huge sacrifice (economically and in logistics, too). 
If I had the time, I would have like to do a little research about all these French clubs Saluzzo's been playing this season, their history, grounds etc. 
Maybe one day I'll manage :) 

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

Yes, I was just reading about it in their website

OK, it says they went by train and so avoided 7 hours on the coach :-) We do have a winner on the travel front, with one of the St. Martin de Crau players traveling up from Spain for the match, before returning home the next day.

The ground where they played (Stade Pershing) is the site of the first RL game in France, when Australia beat England very easily on a snowy day in 1933. The stadium was banned from hosting rugby union 5 days later...

Just now, JonM said:

OK, it says they went by train and so avoided 7 hours on the coach :-) We do have a winner on the travel front, with one of the St. Martin de Crau players traveling up from Spain for the match, before returning home the next day.

The ground where they played (Stade Pershing) is the site of the first RL game in France, when Australia beat England very easily on a snowy day in 1933. The stadium was banned from hosting rugby union 5 days later...

Thanks, I didn't know about it. 
RL history is always fascinating. 
With more free time (and maybe a French/English mothertongue lad to be helped by) I would have liked to tell stories like this. 

Brilliant thread this.....thanks Woody for all the updates. For those interested the league table as of this weekend appears to be;

Marseille  P7 Pts 15

Caumont 2 P6 Pts 15

Carpentras 2 P8 Pts 14

Saint Martin 2 P7 Pts 5

Saluzzo P8 Pts 3

Just now, Number 16 said:

I'm in Cagliari for a few days at the end of May. Sadly, I don't think that any of the Italian RL clubs are based in the island.

Workin' on it :D
We can meet and talk about footy if you want, I live in Cagliari's hinterland 

For those who asked yes, Mirco scored 2 tries in their W against St Martin. 
The result got really good feedback from the Italian press. 

As I said before, Tuttosport (Italian 3rd proper sport newspaper, Turin based and...FC Juventus based! :P) covered the match pre and post, with a news about it. Of course local media (Saluzzo and Piemonte's) talked about it and I'm now preparing a story for the FIRL website.
Gonna publish it asap.

These are the words by Ligue Paca de Rugby à XIII president: 

xavier.jpgimage a telecharger gratuitement

• 3 weeks later...

It is a great development really and congratulations to Saluzzo for finishing their first full season, hopefully the first of many.

You would hope this could open the door for others in the future, getting more full season RL clubs would be great for Italian RL and who knows it could lead to an Elite team down the track. Early days bit great progress.

Cheval Blanc didn't travel to play Ille-sur-Tet in the DN2 play-offs last weekend and forfeited. Interesting that they can raise a team to visit Italy this weekend. Maybe Saluzzo have a reputation as good hosts?

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Cheval Blanc didn't travel to play Ille-sur-Tet in the DN2 play-offs last weekend and forfeited. Interesting that they can raise a team to visit Italy this weekend. Maybe Saluzzo have a reputation as good hosts?

I don't know how to answer. 
But yes, Saluzzo's guys are bulding strong relationships with the French rivals and maybe this has helped in organizing this fixture. 

Archived