Who Changed The Forum Name?

ultimate roughyed

We're not Oldham Roughyeds. We're Oldham RLFC nicknamed "The Roughyeds".

Other clubs who are just RLFC's like ourselves are simply called by their proper town names without the end bit,

The club has never been called Oldham Roughyeds :)

Yeah, and wimberry crag has never been called Indians Head. But it's used in common parlance.

Just one other thing,does anyone know when the current incarnation started to use, be it unofficially, the Roughyeds suffix?

I reckon it's a case of modern era clubs adopting a suffix therefore leading media outlets to attach one to us too.  Adding Roughyeds to the end of the club name is an easy shoe-in, but it's wrong.

I've got to admit I'd prefer us to be listed as Oldham Roughyeds,I think that being just "Oldham" is a bit boring.I think that the roughyeds tag is synonymous with the club.I wouldn't get too carried away with it though.

Totally agreed, very boring. What's wrong with our brand/trading name being known as the Oldham Roughyeds? You're not going to get my shouting Come on Oldham RLFC 1997 Limited!

Totally agreed, very boring. What's wrong with our brand/trading name being known as the Oldham Roughyeds? You're not going to get my shouting Come on Oldham RLFC 1997 Limited!

your not going to be shouting "Come on Oldham Roughyeds" either,

it's either "come on Oldham" or "Oldham Oldham Oldham" or "come on the Yeds"  cant think of a time when someone shouted "come on Oldham Roughyeds"

Need to be consistent though Dave. If there's a move your stop using roughyeds then you need to tell whoever is writing the Facebook copy where there is constant reference to "the Roughyeds". Personally , this incarnation of the club are The Roughyeds to me and I'll keep referring to them as such, because I never felt more like singing the Yeds when hull kr lost to the Roughyeds, my Oldham, you got me singing the Yeds.

Personally when someone randomly asks which RL team I support, the answer is Oldham. Not Oldham Roughyeds. Contrary to that, when I talk to our fans or people in Oldham I talk about the "Yeds" and they know who I mean  lol.On the terraces the only chant that mentions  Roughyeds in full is " we're the Roughyeds,we're the Roughyeds", we also have the delight that is "Oh when the Yeds..." but really its six and two threes,we all support the same club no matter what, mention you are a Roughyed to RL people and they know who you are, mention Oldham RLFC/Oldham Rugby to people they also know who you are!

Oldham, Oldham Rugby ,Oldham RLFC, The Roughyeds - all one and the same to me :)

Need to be consistent though Dave. If there's a move your stop using roughyeds then you need to tell whoever is writing the Facebook copy where there is constant reference to "the Roughyeds". Personally , this incarnation of the club are The Roughyeds to me and I'll keep referring to them as such, because I never felt more like singing the Yeds when hull kr lost to the Roughyeds, my Oldham, you got me singing the Yeds.

The Roughyeds or just Roughyeds is fine though.  It's the adopted club nickname and a hat-tip (pun intended) to our past.   What it isn't is the name of the club.  

Look at this article  It's a match report of the recent Super League Grand Final between Wigan and Warrington.  In one single piece you'll see Wigan, Warrington, Wigan Warriors, Warrington Wolves, (the) Wire, Wolves and Warriors.  Proper names, Super League era suffixes and traditional nicknames all on display.

Oldham Roughyeds is a bit like saying Oldham Latics, which sounds daft.  Oldham, yep, Latics, yep, Oldham Latics, what?  

Just as roughyed34 says, if I'm asked which team I support, I'll say Oldham, every single time.  I would not say Oldham Roughyeds.

As for the Facebook page.   Orlfc Oldham Roughyeds makes me wince every time I see it.  In fact, while I have the wind in my sails.... ;)

Archived