Women's game

On 28/11/2016 at 1:53 PM, Futtocks said:

That's the point I was making. The chevron is the only thing that stops it from looking like a Wallabies strip. I like the idea of having a consistent look across the men's and women's teams, to strengthen the brand.

I don't hate the Jillaroos kit; I just have another preference.

I'm a big fan of the kit........... And an even bigger fan of the wearer! ? 

33E2A18400000578-3576260-Allana_Ferguson_will_make_her_Australian_rugby_league_debut_for_-a-25_1462515177167.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, Flying whinger said:

I'm a big fan of the kit........... And an even bigger fan of the wearer! ? 

33E2A18400000578-3576260-Allana_Ferguson_will_make_her_Australian_rugby_league_debut_for_-a-25_1462515177167.jpg

Totally in love. 

The two stage have been held, one in Piemonte and the other in Sicily. 

Working on some interview with the girls involved, but still busy these days and can't find the time. 
I'll update. 

Here the pics: 

1) Women RL stage in Asti
2) Women RL stage in Catania

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Sales Pitch Mode...

Rugby League World Magazine features regular coverage of Women's Rugby League every month. All good, positive stuff. Feedback welcomed. Rush out and buy, etc.

www.totalrl.com/rlw (online)

www.totalrl.com/shop (print)

End of Sales Pitch Mode

On 2/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, DoubleD said:

Did Italy apply for the Women's World Cup?

No. 

But will, in the future, hoping the work they're doing goes on. 

In the coming weekend, a lot of activity on the women's stage programme. 

There will be a stage in Piemonte and another one in Marseille, together with Saluzzo's game there in the French league

stage_fogliano.jpgphoto libre

There will be another one in the North-East (Fogliano Redipuglia, Friuli Venezia Giulia), and the 3rd stage in Sicily. Guys down there are doing a great work

asti_e_marsiglia.jpgdes photos

Stage_Sicilia.jpgTélécharger des photos

Details about Women's Mediterranean Cup between Lebanon RL and Italy WNT have been announced

The Azzurre will travel to Lebanon to play the Junipers this February 25th.

The match will take place at the Fouad Shehab Stadium, a multi-use stadium in Jounieh

locandina_libano_italia_femminile.jpgherbergeur d image 

On 9/2/2017 at 4:49 PM, DoubleD said:

Woody, as someone who is on the ground in Italy, is RL now genuinely making inroads and carving a niche or is it still mainly union players in the off season?

For what concerns men, it's difficult to find any rl player who is not a ru player, too. 
Being ru the sport that pays them etc., of course it'll have the last word. I'm talking about players being stopped playing rl as soon as they get to high level ru (risk of injuries etc.). 

But it's spreading, although money is always the issue. But it's not easy to "get" the players to play rl, although progress has been made and will be made. The main "source" of players is, by the way, the one of the regional leagues ru, as we can "offer" them a chance to shine, improve and also make part of an International team, if they are good enough.

But when it comes to Serie B, Serie A etc. (inter-regional and National championships ru), it's difficult. They get payed to play ru and rl can't affort to do the same. 
The good thing is the passionate work of the coaches who understood and loved rl. They NEVER stop passing their love for the game and, without stopping their ru work/actitivity, sometimes manage to pass their passion the the players. A lot of players are "curious" about our sport, that's for sure. 

The aim is now to make rl become more frequent with its schedule but I repeat, it's difficult being the players almost all ru ones. 

What I dream about is bringing our game to schools and oratories (being an oratory educator myself), where we can alphabetize kids and guys without passing through ru. 
But, at the actual status of the game (and that's why I get mad when people start comparing Italy to Serbia, where ru don't share the same ru history we have...), we should live together with ru and exploit the skills our game provides to players. Skills are the main attraction towards players.

A realistic aim would be, imho, to have rugby players who defines themselves both ru and rl players, in some time.  

Having a war with ru won't help the game, as it wouln't make sense (given how and how much ru is developed in the country. It's lot like France, but still better than Serbia etc.) and would be lost, 100% sure. Italian ru leagues and federation have many resources, too. 

Also, I consider important, necessary (but not as a necessary evil as someone would suggest, but as a genuine resource and involvement), the involvement of Italian-Australian lads, players, coaches and rl people. Our community there is very proud of their roots and share our culture/vision. We're receiving a lot of good feedback from there, as Italian-Australian RL fans are very passionate. What's been done and will be done is to build bridges, to make homegrown players live and breath high level rl (with University project, stages in England or down-under etc., as it happened to Celerino, the lad who played for Newcastle in England. More will come) and to make the Italian-Australia pros influence and make grow our youngsters

Being myself involved in the media work during the v. Wales playoff last Autumn, I was very happy the Italy "A" played Belgium. That's, maybe, what Scotland Rl should have done during the 4 N: being realistic and playing the best eligibile team (I never put heritage players pride in doubt), but also having some Int fixture for homegrown players, to make them feel and touch what Int RL is about etc. Of course the fixture (as it happened with the Italy v Belgium game) should have been well organized against a team at the same level. 

belgium.jpghébergeur image gratuit

(pic via E' Rugby)

Back with women's game, that's were we fine the most space, these days. 80 (!) girls have been involved in the women rl stages last weekend, and soon there will be the test v Lebanon.
A story I would like to share is the one of Saluzzo Ladies, who went to Marseille together with the male team (which, as you know, is playing now in the FFRXIII league system), and won their match against Marseille Ladies 22-24.

saluzzo_ladies.jpghébergeur d images gratuit

Video, photo etc, will arrive soon, but - as an Italian RL fan - I'm very proud of their efforts and think we're building some culture.

stage_si.jpghebergeur dimage

I've worked, as a media man, in women sports for some years (wrote about Italian female basketball for 3 years, women's football etc.) and I believe women are, together with men, the future of every sport. We must go beyond stereotypes and make them play, understand why sports is so important to us, build new audience and fan-base. 
Italian women's rugby is a growing sport (ru is doing very well) and rl too is growing. We can live together, we must and we're happy too, being of course each one independent. 
Been talking to some players and they were very fired up about stages, knowing and playing rl. 

P.S.: I apologize for having gone too far with this post and OT, but I was answering DoubleD's question and also I believe we should start/keep on considering the "women's game" simply rugby league. I apologize for my English, too. ;) 

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

For what concerns men, it's difficult to find any rl player who is not a ru player, too. 
Being ru the sport that pays them etc., of course it'll have the last word. I'm talking about players being stopped playing rl as soon as they get to high level ru (risk of injuries etc.). 

But it's spreading, although money is always the issue. But it's not easy to "get" the players to play rl, although progress has been made and will be made. The main "source" of players is, by the way, the one of the regional leagues ru, as we can "offer" them a chance to shine, improve and also make part of an International team, if they are good enough.

But when it comes to Serie B, Serie A etc. (inter-regional and National championships ru), it's difficult. They get payed to play ru and rl can't affort to do the same. 
The good thing is the passionate work of the coaches who understood and loved rl. They NEVER stop passing their love for the game and, without stopping their ru work/actitivity, sometimes manage to pass their passion the the players. A lot of players are "curious" about our sport, that's for sure. 

The aim is now to make rl become more frequent with its schedule but I repeat, it's difficult being the players almost all ru ones. 

What I dream about is bringing our game to schools and oratories (being an oratory educator myself), where we can alphabetize kids and guys without passing through ru. 
But, at the actual status of the game (and that's why I get mad when people start comparing Italy to Serbia, where ru don't share the same ru history we have...), we should live together with ru and exploit the skills our game provides to players. Skills are the main attraction towards players.

A realistic aim would be, imho, to have rugby players who defines themselves both ru and rl players, in some time.  

Having a war with ru won't help the game, as it wouln't make sense (given how and how much ru is developed in the country. It's lot like France, but still better than Serbia etc.) and would be lost, 100% sure. Italian ru leagues and federation have many resources, too. 

Also, I consider important, necessary (but not as a necessary evil as someone would suggest, but as a genuine resource and involvement), the involvement of Italian-Australian lads, players, coaches and rl people. Our community there is very proud of their roots and share our culture/vision. We're receiving a lot of good feedback from there, as Italian-Australian RL fans are very passionate. What's been done and will be done is to build bridges, to make homegrown players live and breath high level rl (with University project, stages in England or down-under etc., as it happened to Celerino, the lad who played for Newcastle in England. More will come) and to make the Italian-Australia pros influence and make grow our youngsters

Being myself involved in the media work during the v. Wales playoff last Autumn, I was very happy the Italy "A" played Belgium. That's, maybe, what Scotland Rl should have done during the 4 N: being realistic and playing the best eligibile team (I never put heritage players pride in doubt), but also having some Int fixture for homegrown players, to make them feel and touch what Int RL is about etc. Of course the fixture (as it happened with the Italy v Belgium game) should have been well organized against a team at the same level. 

belgium.jpghébergeur image gratuit

(pic via E' Rugby)

Back with women's game, that's were we fine the most space, these days. 80 (!) girls have been involved in the women rl stages last weekend, and soon there will be the test v Lebanon.
A story I would like to share is the one of Saluzzo Ladies, who went to Marseille together with the male team (which, as you know, is playing now in the FFRXIII league system), and won their match against Marseille Ladies 22-24.

saluzzo_ladies.jpghébergeur d images gratuit

Video, photo etc, will arrive soon, but - as an Italian RL fan - I'm very proud of their efforts and think we're building some culture.

stage_si.jpghebergeur dimage

I've worked, as a media man, in women sports for some years (wrote about Italian female basketball for 3 years, women's football etc.) and I believe women are, together with men, the future of every sport. We must go beyond stereotypes and make them play, understand why sports is so important to us, build new audience and fan-base. 
Italian women's rugby is a growing sport (ru is doing very well) and rl too is growing. We can live together, we must and we're happy too, being of course each one independent. 
Been talking to some players and they were very fired up about stages, knowing and playing rl. 

P.S.: I apologize for having gone too far with this post and OT, but I was answering DoubleD's question and also I believe we should start/keep on considering the "women's game" simply rugby league. I apologize for my English, too. ;) 

No need to apologise Woody, thank you for the informed post and interesting to read. I must admit, I didn't realise union was so established, I had thought it was struggling a bit but perhaps that is just the national team? As you point out, it'll be no overnight fix, but slow and steady progress at grass roots, helping to get RL into schools, universities etc. would certainly be a good next step. Development of the women's game is equally important, and one that has sadly been neglected in the UK, and they're only just realising the potential - other sports have already made significant headway with this though

The NRL has just announced that the Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns test will be the curtain raiser the the Anzac Test in Canberra on May 5 and will also be shown on Channel 9. Women's RL in this country is so far behind it is embarrassing. It doesn't need improvement - it needs a bl***y rocket.

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL has just announced that the Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns test will be the curtain raiser the the Anzac Test in Canberra on May 5 and will also be shown on Channel 9. Women's RL in this country is so far behind it is embarrassing. It doesn't need improvement - it needs a bl***y rocket.

What drives me mad is that England, at least that's what I can see from abroad, at all is working well on promoting women's sports. I think of football or ru...
Down-Under, they're promoting the women's game very well; I remember some Jillaroo being at the Footy Show (?) as a guest, with clips about the game etc. 
Are we (here talking as a long time England fan, of course) doing something similar?

38 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

No need to apologise Woody, thank you for the informed post and interesting to read. I must admit, I didn't realise union was so established, I had thought it was struggling a bit but perhaps that is just the national team? As you point out, it'll be no overnight fix, but slow and steady progress at grass roots, helping to get RL into schools, universities etc. would certainly be a good next step. Development of the women's game is equally important, and one that has sadly been neglected in the UK, and they're only just realising the potential - other sports have already made significant headway with this though

I apologised because my English can look "strange", but I hope concepts are clear...
About ru, National team is struggling, but it gets a lot of hype and attention from people, attendances at Olimpico for 6 N and at various ground for the Autumn International are very encouraging.

The "problem", imho, is that we don't have anything at Pro 12 level or, to say better, we have 2 franchises but they aren't good enough for it. They struggle, because even if they work and improve, Welsh etc. do the same and are on an higher level. 
Above Treviso and Zebre, btw, there are well estabilished leagues (Eccellenza, Serie A and Serie B ) at National level and I must say they work (been for years a regular at a Serie A/B ground close to where I live). Serie C are more "regional". 
Of course, Italy don't have a movement comparable to England or France (to say some), but still it has a huge movement. 

About RL at schools etc., it'd be my dream. I keep thinking about it...Oratories could be a good place, as they have been re-thought and re-established and attract a lot of boys and girls. 

About female RL, I was really impressed by girls' enthusiasm for RL and that's what we need to build on. 

20 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

What drives me mad is that England, at least that's what I can see from abroad, at all is working well on promoting women's sports. I think of football or ru...
Down-Under, they're promoting the women's game very well; I remember some Jillaroo being at the Footy Show (?) as a guest, with clips about the game etc. 
Are we (here talking as a long time England fan, of course) doing something similar?

I apologised because my English can look "strange", but I hope concepts are clear...
About ru, National team is struggling, but it gets a lot of hype and attention from people, attendances at Olimpico for 6 N and at various ground for the Autumn International are very encouraging.

The "problem", imho, is that we don't have anything at Pro 12 level or, to say better, we have 2 franchises but they aren't good enough for it. They struggle, because even if they work and improve, Welsh etc. do the same and are on an higher level. 
Above Treviso and Zebre, btw, there are well estabilished leagues (Eccellenza, Serie A and Serie B ) at National level and I must say they work (been for years a regular at a Serie A/B ground close to where I live). Serie C are more "regional". 
Of course, Italy don't have a movement comparable to England or France (to say some), but still it has a huge movement. 

About RL at schools etc., it'd be my dream. I keep thinking about it...Oratories could be a good place, as they have been re-thought and re-established and attract a lot of boys and girls. 

About female RL, I was really impressed by girls' enthusiasm for RL and that's what we need to build on. 

England Womens RL is not in a great state although the RFL have cottoned on, or been told by Sport England, of the importance of it and so are now looking to address this. Amateur clubs are linking with professional mens clubs. Unfortunately a number of the women's RU team are in fact RL players originally.........

What are oratories?

24 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

England Womens RL is not in a great state although the RFL have cottoned on, or been told by Sport England, of the importance of it and so are now looking to address this. Amateur clubs are linking with professional mens clubs. Unfortunately a number of the women's RU team are in fact RL players originally.........

What are oratories?

Sorry, maybe you've got another word in England/English to mention them.
Well, I had to google about it for the proper translantion/explanation.

Wiki in Italian: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oratorio_(centro_giovanile) 

They are some kind of Youth Centers, organized and run by Catholic Parishes, in all the country. 
They are places where kids can play, practice sports etc. 
Participation to Oratorial activity is often free, so that's why their activity can be important especially in places hit by poverty and economical crisis (e.g.: big cities, Southern Italy etc.).

Here is an example (from Google, but there are of oratories with football/rugby etc. fields):

bosco.jpgHébergeur d'images

I don't know how to translate the term in English as I just happened to find out "Oratory" seems to refer only to places of worship. In Italy, after Saint John Bosco (see  Salesian Preventive System). 

36 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Sorry, maybe you've got another word in England/English to mention them.
Well, I had to google about it for the proper translantion/explanation.

Wiki in Italian: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oratorio_(centro_giovanile) 

They are some kind of Youth Centers, organized and run by Catholic Parishes, in all the country. 
They are places where kids can play, practice sports etc. 
Participation to Oratorial activity is often free, so that's why their activity can be important especially in places hit by poverty and economical crisis (e.g.: big cities, Southern Italy etc.).

Here is an example (from Google, but there are of oratories with football/rugby etc. fields):

bosco.jpgHébergeur d'images

I don't know how to translate the term in English as I just happened to find out "Oratory" seems to refer only to places of worship. In Italy, after Saint John Bosco (see  Salesian Preventive System). 

Thanks, I don't think we have anything similar in the UK, the nearest thing would be youth or social clubs

On 19/2/2017 at 11:32 PM, Futtocks said:

❤️?

+

On 20/2/2017 at 6:49 PM, damp squib said:

Fouad Chehab is showing it's age a bit but still a decent ground and Jounieh is a pretty nice spot to spend a few days. Should be a great trip for the Italian women.

Team arrived in Lebanon and are staying at the local University. 
Here a pic of them before their 1st training there... 

+

Another stage is being staged in Ventimiglia, Liguria
A great day of the greatest game of all, with a women RL stage in the morning and a RL 9s tournament involving Saluzzo Roosters, Saluzzo's Under 21 and Carpentras XIII. 
It should be interesting. Saluzzo's lads are terrific in their work! 

Italian squad for today:  

ITALIA LEAGUE FEMMINILE
1 Pratelli Giorgia
2 Gubernale Chiara
3 Silvia Gai
4 Di Martino Oliwia
5 Marina Gueli
6 Virgili Valentina – capitano
7 Gurrieri Ludovica
8 Indaco Eugenia – vice capitano
9 Sanna Passino Irma
10 Barro Anna
11 Salvatore Elisa
12 Pinnarello Virginia
13 Ascione Marika

14 Capello Silvia
15 Forgiarini Viviana
16 Gazzera Simona
17 Zaffarana Giuliana

Good luck girls! 

Looks like Italy nilled Lebanon.

Lebanon 0:22 Italy

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived