Women's game

First of all, It was a great day for footy and women sports in both countries.

We got the result from what we did during last months, with stages etc.

Well done to coaches and players, for their effort. Looking forward to see the 2nd leg in Italy.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some quotes, from RLEF Press Release

“We only started to play recently and have a lot to work on especially on the play the ball,” said Italian skipper and stand off Valentina Virgili, who posted their second try. “But I saw all the team fighting and not give up! We can’t wait for the next match.”

Her coach Tiziano Franchini added: “I am very satisfied with the performance and how the team reacted and improved by the minute. It is a great result after only starting work with our domestic female movement in November.”

Juniper’s captain Nayla Saniour commented: “It was a very intense experience on many levels and a challenge to compose in so little time a homogeneous entity both on and off the field. The official team trainings were happening four to five times a week, whether on green fields, in the gym, steep stairs or in indoors video sessions. Players were also selected on their level of commitment and behaviour to represent properly the country as a national team.

“The game itself was a big step for every one of us, we all pushed ourselves and managed to play a tough match that challenged us as much physically as it did mentally.”

Ghassan Dandash, the Lebanon coach, added: “Now we have a lot of work to do on many levels but at least we know we have the basics sorted out and the rest is a matter of time, good planning and commitment.”

LEBANON JUNIPERS 0 ITALY WOMEN 22

Lebanon

N. Saniour, E. Gharious, N. Kibbi, C. Badawi, R. Abdallah, L. Sasso, D. Knio, R. Dahdouli, K. Roukoz, S. Kannan, T. Keirouz, S. Awad, L. Acra

Subs: M. Keirouz, M. Haddad, S. Menassa, M. Antoun

Italy

G. Pratelli, M. Gueli, O. Dimartino, S. Gai, C. Gubernale, V. Virgili, L. Gurrieri, E. Indaco, S. I. Passino, A. Barro, E. Salvatore, V. Pinarello, M. Ascione

Subs: V. Forgiarini, S. Capello, S. Gazzera, G. Zaffarana

Tries: Anna Barro (13, 61) Valentina Virgili (26), Guuiliana Zaffarana (72)

Goals: Maria Virgili 3/4

• 3 weeks later...

20 girls circa attended the women's rl stage in Abbiategrasso (Milano) last weekend. 
Here a pic from the day

Today, huge work by Sicilian lads in the 4th (if I'm not wrong) women's rl stage held in Catania. Today it's been hosted by the local University rugby field. 
A pic I just received on whatsapp: 

sicily_stage_2.jpgheberger une image

I'll give new feedback asap. 
:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A camp is being held today in Sicily. It's a stage for Women's RL NT's players who live in the South of Italy. 
Thing are going well and a women's exibition game will open the 10th of June events in Saluzzo (Piedmont). 

• 2 weeks later...

France v England - First test

France 16-26 England
Halftime 4-22
Referee M. Lannes
France Tries: Biville, Samara (2), Castello
England tries: Dobson, Hardcastle (2), Stanley, Bulman (converted by Stanley), Moroney

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Has there been any movement on the mooted Women's SL?

I would like to know too. It's been like a state secret. I have heard clubs being formed with the intention of playing this season but no news. They would be perfect curtain raisers for SL games.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I would like to know too. It's been like a state secret. I have heard clubs being formed with the intention of playing this season but no news. They would be perfect curtain raisers for SL games.

Just listened to this weeks 5 Live RL podcast and it had a big section on exactly this. Said that they were looking for a short league this year - with potentially a SL fixture being preceded by a Castleford vs Bradford WSL game. Then next year having a full SL set up. The woman Dave Woods interviewed was from Thatto Heath and said that though the top flight team would be branded as St Helens going forward, a reserves and junior set up would remain at the community club. It seemed like ultimately the aim was to make it as professional as possible.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Did well keeping that secret!

I don't think I saw a single post about it at all.  Was there anything?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think I saw a single post about it at all.  Was there anything?

Nope. The Women's rl section on the rfl site (once you find it) has little and i couldnt see a table or fixtures. Or anything of substance.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Nope. The Women's rl section on the rfl site (once you find it) has little and i couldnt see a table or fixtures. Or anything of substance.

I thought this was a joke - the women's SL is actually up and running? Where was the launch video? Why isn't it in the main navigation? Who the hell is in it? Could the RFL have come across any more patronising?

On 24/07/2017 at 0:16 PM, MatthewWoody said:

I stumbled upon this myself when looking for something else on the RFL site this morning. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiwi Ferns have changed their selection criteria to allow NZers based outside NZ to be eligible for the National team. Makes sense with some women playing in the pro NRL Women's teams. And .......

Meanwhile the Kiwi Ferns have announced a pre-tournament clash against the New Zealand Maori women's team at Waikato Stadium on Saturday, November 4.

The fixture will serve as a curtain-raiser to the men's World Cup match between Samoa and Tonga.

http://www.nrl.com/selfless-ferns-drive-eligibility-change/tabid/10874/newsid/110808/default.aspx

Archived