Women's game

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Fabou said:

is there any video display/livestream of this NRL female pro competition?? I have not seen anything

There are some female 9s games but not all NRL clubs have a women's team. It's not pro ...... yet.

here is the Raiders squad http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2017/02/06/_2017_raiders_women_.html

http://amp.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/canberra-raiders-womens-exceed-expectations-in-debut-against-cronulla-sharks-20170311-guw1an.html

44 minutes ago, Copa said:

That is a big squad for a nines team!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So this has actually started? Yet no one knows who is in the actual league, there was no launch event, and you can't find the table or fixtures?

That's bad even by RFL standards.

http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/womens_rugby_league/league_table

They've done a good job of hiding what looks like a decent resource.

Looking at that article, the structure is:

Women's Super League: Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers, Featherstone Rovers, Thatto Heath-St Helens.

Women's Championship: Leigh Miners Rangers, Oulton Raidettes, Wigan St Patricks, Wakefield Trinity.

No wonder they kept it quiet. Four teams in a SL is a p*ss poor effort.

Meanwhile, and not to compare ourselves to just our oval ball brothers and sisters, the second season of the cricket Kia Super League will have coverage on Sky following the breakthrough World Cup tournament, the football WSL will be covered by BT and the BBC after Channel 4 got over 4m to watch the Lionesses crash out against the Netherlands, and the rugby union Women's World Cup is getting fairly decent coverage (albeit with some negative headlines around contracts and Lichfield).  Netball and hockey are also getting more and more TV coverage.

Meanwhile, rugby league ... well, the NRL might have something professional soon and England has a secret league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/womens_rugby_league/league_table

Turns out there are 3 more teams in the Championship (Stanningley, Barrow and Batley), but 4 teams in SL is correct.

There's also a Premier Division on there with all 11 teams involved that doesn't look complete (teams have played different numbers of games).

Just WTF is going on in the women's leagues?!

Just who the f*** is accountable here? Because this is pathetic.

It appears that, out of all the men's Super League clubs, only Castleford Tigers and Wakefield Trinity have fielded a women's team. 

In the Championship; Bradford, Featherstone and Batley have.

Barrow are the only League 1 side.

The other five clubs - Oulton, Stanningley, Wigan St Pats, Thatto Heath, Leigh MR - are all community clubs.

This big "push" in women's sport seems to have bypassed the RFL and Super League.

This big "push" in women's sport seems to have bypassed the RFL and Super League.

If you don't care about women's participation (and many will have that view) then maybe pointing out that Sport England funding is increasingly dependent on it may make people care.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just who the f*** is accountable here? Because this is pathetic.

It appears that, out of all the men's Super League clubs, only Castleford Tigers and Wakefield Trinity have fielded a women's team. 

In the Championship; Bradford, Featherstone and Batley have.

Barrow are the only League 1 side.

The other five clubs - Oulton, Stanningley, Wigan St Pats, Thatto Heath, Leigh MR - are all community clubs.

All that has happened is that they've renamed the competition to Women's Super League. It's basically as is from last season.

The push to grow the women's game needed to be at youth and junior levels to provide decent foundations for the clubs in place.

Sorry to change the subject, I come to realised that I could not see the last match Jillaroos vs Fern... i tried to find it back then, could not, and I actually dont think I have seen it..

Does somebody have a link to it??

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

All that has happened is that they've renamed the competition to Women's Super League. It's basically as is from last season.

The push to grow the women's game needed to be at youth and junior levels to provide decent foundations for the clubs in place.

I think they can do both things. 
Pushing the highest level (WSL re-branding, etc.) can be done without renouncing to work at grassroots. 
The scene in Australia - in terms of media exposure, too - seems very better, too. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 minute ago, Fabou said:

Sorry to change the subject, I come to realised that I could not see the last match Jillaroos vs Fern... i tried to find it back then, could not, and I actually dont think I have seen it..

Does somebody have a link to it??

Not sure, but you can try with RugbyPass in the past games sections. 
Jillaroos' page on FB or their section on the NRL.com website could help, too. 
I'd check it for you but can't stay to the computer longer. 

35 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Looking at that article, the structure is:

Women's Super League: Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers, Featherstone Rovers, Thatto Heath-St Helens.

Women's Championship: Leigh Miners Rangers, Oulton Raidettes, Wigan St Patricks, Wakefield Trinity.

No wonder they kept it quiet. Four teams in a SL is a p*ss poor effort.

Looks like the SL has the four teams you name, and the Championship has 7 teams - Stanningley, Trinity, Leigh Miners, Oulton, St Pats, Barrow and Batley.

Why only 4 in the top division and then 7 others in the lower division?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Looks like the SL has the four teams you name, and the Championship has 7 teams - Stanningley, Trinity, Leigh Miners, Oulton, St Pats, Barrow and Batley.

Why only 4 in the top division and then 7 others in the lower division?

The difference in standards are vast sometimes between teams. There have been teams who have won the division below who were promoted to get beat 50-0 most weeks in the top division. Teams will play at the level they are comfortable 

11 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think they can do both things. 
Pushing the highest level (WSL re-branding, etc.) can be done without renouncing to work at grassroots. 
The scene in Australia - in terms of media exposure, too - seems very better, too. 

It can be both, but without a decent youth and junior set up the women's game in the UK is reliant on Union converts which isn't sustainable 

Just now, Spidey said:

It can be both, but without a decent youth and junior set up the women's game in the UK is reliant on Union converts which isn't sustainable 

Rome wasn't built in a day, was it? 
You have to start somewhere and union converts can help, too. 
Being the women's ru scene really stronger and better organized, it'd be actually useful trying to attract union players with the speed and the qualities of our game.

3 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

You have to start somewhere and union converts can help, too. 
Being the women's ru scene really stronger and better organized, it'd be actually useful trying to attract union players with the speed and the qualities of our game.

Thing is "Rome" has been growing for a number  of years now.  It's the same competition it's always been, just adding Super League to the title isn't any kind of strategy

The converts only want to play in their off season. You can't build a "Super" League based on players playing their second choice game. They help sumpliment a team but you've got to generate your own players as well to make it sustainable and actually grow

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

The converts only want to play in their off season. You can't build a "Super" League based on players playing their second choice game. They help sumpliment a team but you've got to generate your own players as well to make it sustainable and actually grow

And how do you magically do it? 
It takes time.

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

No, it wasn't.  And cricket, soccer and rugby union in this country all realised that a few years ago.  Rugby league used to be *the* sport that attracted women to get involved at a time when virtually all sport in this country smelt of Old Spice.  Now that the world has moved well beyond involvement to participation we're looking as out of date as the aforementioned after shave.  How on earth can we have so few teams and such a haphazard structure so long after it became obvious that girls and women weren't just looking to be sporting spectators?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yet domains like womensrl.com or womensrl.co.uk are still available. What is the point of hiding away the women's international and domestic game and the youth international game? Is there any sane reason for spending years building up an englandrl.co.uk brand (which included a women's and youth section and bl**dy shop) and dropping it into this messy maze? Tens of thousands must have been spent of that site (englandrl.co.uk), plus EnglandRL social media still runs. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Yet domains like womensrl.com or womensrl.co.uk are still available. What is the point of hiding away the women's international and domestic game and the youth international game? Is there any sane reason for spending years building up an englandrl.co.uk brand (which included a women's and youth section and bl**dy shop) and dropping it into this messy maze? Tens of thousands must have been spent of that site (englandrl.co.uk), plus EnglandRL social media still runs. 

Whilst the point is valid to an extent, I feel you overstate this a touch. People's habits have changed, typing in an actual web address is becoming more rare. 

I just quickly typed in womens rl and womens rugby league through Google and the link I provided is the first result.

Womens Rugby leads with a few RU sites, but the RL site is around 5th or 6th. That is what is important, can it be found easily.

If I type in England RL or Rugby League it takes me to the England micro-site so it is working fine. The problem with the England site is that the content is way below average.

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

Not sure, but you can try with RugbyPass in the past games sections. 
Jillaroos' page on FB or their section on the NRL.com website could help, too. 
I'd check it for you but can't stay to the computer longer. 

well I just got lost on the rugbypass website and got stuck within all the ru competitions, omg... could not find any jillaroos game...

Archived