RFL announces restructure

Hopefully they're going to get rid of a load of deadwood...........very limited on the detail there though.

Clearly the Sport England funding cuts with money going to more direct routes rather than governing bodies that continually fail is having an effect. Interesting that he talks about developing the England RL and funding streams for that - here's a start, how about you get your own England RL website and have products on there that are available to sell? And then sell them through the clubs shops too, with the clubs getting a cut of the profits for any they sell. Not rocket science........

Hopefully they're going to get rid of a load of deadwood...........very limited on the detail there though.

Clearly the Sport England funding cuts with money going to more direct routes rather than governing bodies that continually fail is having an effect. Interesting that he talks about developing the England RL and funding streams for that - here's a start, how about you get your own England RL website and have products on there that are available to sell? And then sell them through the clubs shops too, with the clubs getting a cut of the profits for any they sell. Not rocket science........

Now I am convinced he reads this website for all his ideas :D 

Sounds like the regular precursor that most businesses give before restructuring.

A few redundancies in the pipeline no doubt, hence the embracing digital technology waffle.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The back story to this is that every recognised sports national governing body (NGB) in England will find out about now what their grant from Sport England will be for the next five years.

Each NGB did a dragons den style presentation during October and November and I understand that the RFL were told a few weeks ago that they are in for a big cut of funding going into the next cycle. This, more than likely has prompted this restructure.

Sadly it is going to mean loss of jobs and cuts in services at the RFL which isn't good for the game. There are some great people who do some great work at the RFL who will either have to reapply for their jobs or face redundancy. Not nice.

The new structure from the RFL seems like (although it's very difficult to tell from a press release) that's its attempting to mirror the Sport England strategy which was published earlier this year. Many NGB's have already done this some time ago.

Many sports are being cut though, not just RL. RL and the RFL are actually doing quite well in comparison. I don't know the full story but some sports - cycling and athletics for instance - will be getting an increase.

I wish you to propose to the RFL a few proposals that I think may save the beauty of our game, and may even promote it.

Firstly, I think that the current system in Superleague should have two internal competitions, such as the NHL/NFL/MLB has with two conferences. Namely a Red & White conference, running concurrently with the main Superleague table, where Widnes, Warrington, St. Helens, Wigan, Salford, & Leigh would play in one conference, and Hull FC, Catalans, Leeds Castleford, Wakefield and Huddersfield would play in the other. As each team plays each other home & away, this would provide extra excitement if teams are off the playoff spot, but could still win a trophy by winning their “Conference”.

This would either provide seeding for the Magic Weekend as it stands, or as a separate trophy for both conferences (or counties), as in the days of the County League Championships before 1973.

I would also propose that the “Magic Weekend” be turned into a 7’s tournament, with the top 3 teams from Championship, and the winner of Championship One being invited over the two days as well as the Superleague teams.

Usual Trophy, Cup, Bowl, Dish presentations being awarded to keep all 16 teams involved over the 2 days. There used to be numerous 7’s Tournaments held during the seasons, now we don’t seem to have the fun element there anymore.

Many of my Rugby Union friends laugh at how even though the RFL uses a huge stadium, it still looks empty on Magic Weekend. This is due to the fact that the fans watch their team, then go home, and then we declare attendances of 65,000. If there was a chance of their team still playing, then they might stay, and the stadium might appear more full.

Therefore I am asking you to start a petition on behalf of Rugby League in general, to save Superleague and introduce an internal, regional competition, and to modify the Magic Weekend to make it a 7’s competition, with league points available to winners (and as Rugby League fans are able to do so, they will argue forever over who gets points), such as group winners get 3 League points, regardless of which division they are in, 2nd to receive 2pts, and 3rd to receive 1pt

I wish you to propose to the RFL a few proposals that I think may save the beauty of our game, and may even promote it.

Firstly, I think that the current system in Superleague should have two internal competitions, such as the NHL/NFL/MLB has with two conferences. Namely a Red & White conference, running concurrently with the main Superleague table, where Widnes, Warrington, St. Helens, Wigan, Salford, & Leigh would play in one conference, and Hull FC, Catalans, Leeds Castleford, Wakefield and Huddersfield would play in the other. As each team plays each other home & away, this would provide extra excitement if teams are off the playoff spot, but could still win a trophy by winning their “Conference”.

This would either provide seeding for the Magic Weekend as it stands, or as a separate trophy for both conferences (or counties), as in the days of the County League Championships before 1973.

I would also propose that the “Magic Weekend” be turned into a 7’s tournament, with the top 3 teams from Championship, and the winner of Championship One being invited over the two days as well as the Superleague teams.

Usual Trophy, Cup, Bowl, Dish presentations being awarded to keep all 16 teams involved over the 2 days. There used to be numerous 7’s Tournaments held during the seasons, now we don’t seem to have the fun element there anymore.

Many of my Rugby Union friends laugh at how even though the RFL uses a huge stadium, it still looks empty on Magic Weekend. This is due to the fact that the fans watch their team, then go home, and then we declare attendances of 65,000. If there was a chance of their team still playing, then they might stay, and the stadium might appear more full.

Therefore I am asking you to start a petition on behalf of Rugby League in general, to save Superleague and introduce an internal, regional competition, and to modify the Magic Weekend to make it a 7’s competition, with league points available to winners (and as Rugby League fans are able to do so, they will argue forever over who gets points), such as group winners get 3 League points, regardless of which division they are in, 2nd to receive 2pts, and 3rd to receive 1pt

Is that some sort of wind up?

What a surprise that Sport England want a sport's national team performance to be the pinnacle of any programme and not Wigan v Saints x5. Hope to see big changes in the way England RL and England Women and Youth is set up, promoted and administered. 

Archived