Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

RFL announces restructure

Oh yes and as spotted huge SE cuts mainly due to incompetent and dreadful governance. Rest assured Wood Barwick Watkins et al will still take all they can from our dwindling resources. Anyway some good news - York should be back in business this week.

Hot air  from the big fella at Red Hall ,  in the end it sounds good but  tell us nothing .

In the words of Charlton Ogburn

we tend to meet any new situation by reorganization, and a wonderful method it is for creating the illusion of progress at a mere cost of confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.

As its funding has reduced in recent years , the RFL has made drastic staff cuts  , so not sure what is left to re-organise . With Sports England  rumored to be further cutting its funding  will the RFL Board be culled in line with the cuts ? Somehow I dont think so

Oh yes and as spotted huge SE cuts mainly due to incompetent and dreadful governance. Rest assured Wood Barwick Watkins et al will still take all they can from our dwindling resources. Anyway some good news - York should be back in business this week.

That's good news about York, Lionel, anything official or just on the grapevine?

The old boys club certainly needs breaking up

Well basically it means the RFL do not have the funding to control the game in the manner at which they set out .

So they now will be trimming back the foot soldiers but retaining the fat cat positions and salaries .

And expect the community game administrators to pick up the pieces and start to rebuild the game

What cheeses me is the wasted millions on failed project after failed project .

Big Nige mentioned Sky Try Money where do people think that money goes , it goes to the SL clubs to fund their foundations not to the community grass roots .

It's one joke after another our league secretary said in a meeting with the RFL four years ago we will be here to pick up the pieces when it all goes to pot , how right he was .

“With successful programmes already in place, such as our Sky Try campaign, which has committed £7m investment until 2021 and has seen 80,000 children play Rugby League this year, we are in a good position to continue to grow this great sport.”

Where are the 80,000 ?

That's good news about York, Lionel, anything official or just on the grapevine?

The old boys club certainly needs breaking up

The problem is our old boys club is useless! The RU old boys club (I've seen it for myself) is actually really good at having wide links into all areas of influence. Ours couldn't get a paying title sponsor for SL for two years.

Its pointless having an old boys club if they don't bring anything else to the table.

“With successful programmes already in place, such as our Sky Try campaign, which has committed £7m investment until 2021 and has seen 80,000 children play Rugby League this year, we are in a good position to continue to grow this great sport.”

Where are the 80,000 ?

80,000 comes from all the schools that playing in the schools cup,topped up by junior amateur clubs

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

"It will also see the RFL continue to focus support on the England national team to give it the best chance of success at the 2017 World Cup and provide the perfect catalyst for a home World Cup in 2021."

What does this focus of support for the England national team look like? Does it include restructuring your competitions to ensure maximum player fatigue? Perhaps it is scheduling the national team to play at an inconvenient time at a far-flung stadium, the noise generated by those empty seats was almost deafening? Or even the basics of scheduling your national team to play! How many warm up games are going to be given to the national coach, so that he will be confident that he has the best combination in the halves and that the team is playing to its potential?

if this is laser like focus, it would be interesting to see what an England set up would look like without Red Hall support

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

On the face of it, this press release says precisely nothing. It is all words, trite phrases and zero substance. Par for the course from Rot Hall and the Wood cabal, I hear some say?

Except I think it may well say something important. But in code, and not exactly what they would want you to read into it?

I've had the misfortune to have to write nonspeak like this myself, in the past. Usually for company annual reports or other financial reports, where the objective is to prepare the reader for bad financial news couched in as many euphemisms and disingenuous pseudo-positives as can be got away with.  And, even though you have said precisely stuff all of substance, you even manage to convince some folk it is a positive.

For a while.

My translation: "funding from the public sector is to be cut significantly and, absent major new funding streams from other sources (which we have shown ourselves singularly incapable of developing), we are going to have to swing the axe."

I wonder how much bone will be cut, before they are forced to cut the fat?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

they go on about funding and money..

yet if you look at the financial reports down the years theres a big difference in income,for the better, when we host a 4nations or a test series compared to when we've gone down under....

if it's that much of a money spinner...why aren't we playing more home tests?

also..if they had split the latest tv deal up properly,instead of the dodgy,backhanded ###### they dished out then everyone one could have benefited from wigan to coventry  and even the RFL

all SL clubs could of got £1.825m per season..which is what they are actually getting so it begs the question where the rest of the money goes?

all champ clubs could have got £600k per season

all league 1 clubs could have got £250k per season

which leaves the RFL with £6.2m PER SEASON to do with as it pleases..

the sport will continue to shrink until we stop looking at the top 12/14 clubs as the be all and end all and start dividing the money properly and looking after the 40 clubs in our league system,giving them the funds to develop the sport,develop juniors,develop grass roots....cos if we don't give a damn about that why should sport england!

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

The problem is our old boys club is useless! The RU old boys club (I've seen it for myself) is actually really good at having wide links into all areas of influence. Ours couldn't get a paying title sponsor for SL for two years.

Its pointless having an old boys club if they don't bring anything else to the table.

Maybe they just didn't go to the right schools.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

80,000 comes from all the schools that playing in the schools cup,topped up by junior amateur clubs

Does it? Got any figures as regards how that is made up??

the sport will continue to shrink 

80,000 playing the full game in actual full teams look like growth to me?? Shrinking or growing Spud?

Edited by The Parksider

It's just lies, try to word it however we want but in reality it's just lie upon lie by incompetent small minded parochial leaders whom I personally wouldn't employ to organise my daughters birthday party.

I actually blame ourselves for allowing these pariahs to continue to run the sport.

It's just lies, try to word it however we want but in reality it's just lie upon lie by incompetent small minded parochial leaders whom I personally wouldn't employ to organise my daughters birthday party.

I actually blame ourselves for allowing these pariahs to continue to run the sport.

watdyawannadoo have them tell the sporting world RL is declining at grass roots??

I'm happy for them to announce 250,000 kids play and watch the latter based on any kid whose seen a second of an RL game at any distance, it's when people who follow the game believe it, it becomes a problem.

Edited by The Parksider

Does it? Got any figures as regards how that is made up??

80,000 playing the full game in actual full teams look like growth to me?? Shrinking or growing Spud?

80k is great..

but on the whole its shrinking,as lionel pointed out in a thread,regional conferences have gone,reserves gone,lack of fixtures for junior teams etc..

I hate to say it,cos im the biggest optimist ever....but we're looking in very bad shape imo

Edited by roughyedspud

OLDHAM RLFC

what is the correct number?

80k is great..

but on the whole its shrinking,as lionel pointed out in a thread,regional conferences have gone,reserves gone,lack of fixtures for junior teams etc..

I hate to say it,cos im the biggest optimist ever....but we're looking in very bad shape imo

the important thing to try and understand how much of that is directly attributable to the blokes in charge, or is this something anyone in charge would be facing at the moment.

80k is great..

Well what matters more than anything is the way in which the game is taken up as a 13 a side competitive game by budding young players on a regular basis, not tig and pass, or a couple of games in a school knock out.

What also matters is those young players getting regular 13 a side games every season through every age range to being taken on by the pro clubs. 

The actual figures that will relate to what junior strength the game is built on would be to look at JARL clubs and see which ones are seriously putting kids through such a development path.

I recently just looked at the Halifax area where only Siddal do this hence all the young Halifax lads getting signed are from the Siddal club, and I'd guess those serious about a career will go play at Siddal. It'd be interesting to look at Oldham.

So 80,000 is really a meaningless figure as it has no comparative and is not explained in any way.

Celtic Rooster kindly did the ultimate check by comparing BARLA information from 20 years or more ago to today. Participation badly down 

But RU suffer the same..........

I would like the RFL to produce actual and ongoing figures for their targets within their Stragegical Plan. Transparency was mooted, but to date, we see nothing presented allied to that Plan. Sound bytes and news that SC cuts are going to be made mean nothing to me, but what work the RFL are doing does.

I would like the RFL to produce actual and ongoing figures for their targets within their Stragegical Plan. Transparency was mooted, but to date, we see nothing presented allied to that Plan. Sound bytes and news that SC cuts are going to be made mean nothing to me, but what work the RFL are doing does.

read the last annual report, targets and actuals are in there.

The RFL's annual report came out a bit ago and it was just a PR job, and I recall us looking through every report still on line for previous years and it was all the same. The RFL had made "good ground" they had "strategies" they were on course to meet "targets" and where they could not hide the dismal truth they had "done well despite the tough challenges".

And so they were condemned, which is fair enough and all good fun with ultimately the "Magic solution" cropping up something like get Alan Sugar in, or was it unleash the genius of Roger Draper?

I dunno but if people don't want to play or watch then you can't make them you can only offer them the chance in the best possible way. So who knows maybe they are working both "hard" and "smart" maybe 80,000 kids did have an RL ball put in their hands along with the details of the local JARL club head coach.

Maybe 60,000 said no thanks.

Is that some sort of wind up?

No

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Hot air  from the big fella at Red Hall ,  in the end it sounds good but  tell us nothing .

In the words of Charlton Ogburn

we tend to meet any new situation by reorganization, and a wonderful method it is for creating the illusion of progress at a mere cost of confusion, inefficiency and demoralization.

As its funding has reduced in recent years , the RFL has made drastic staff cuts  , so not sure what is left to re-organise . With Sports England  rumored to be further cutting its funding  will the RFL Board be culled in line with the cuts ? Somehow I dont think so

To be pedantic he took the quote from a Roman called Caius Petronius who wrote it in AD 66 - I'd imagine it's been around in one form or another since the first scribe pressed his marker into a soft clay tablet in Ur over 3500 years ago (depressing thought, innit?).