Film backers required

A few months ago I posted on here that I was writing a script with the hope of having it made into a film, its a roadtrip Rugby comedy adventure based mostlyin Serbia and Montenegro with lots of RL action.

I am a novice with this and who to send it to so any suggestions most welcome, if any one wants to read the script please PM me

A few months ago I posted on here that I was writing a script with the hope of having it made into a film, its a roadtrip Rugby comedy adventure based mostlyin Serbia and Montenegro with lots of RL action.

I am a novice with this and who to send it to so any suggestions most welcome, if any one wants to read the script please PM me

Have you considered something like Kickstarter?

I backed Elstree 1976 a couple of years ago, if you go down that route you'd do well to read there trials and tribulations of getting from the start to the end point!

I backed Elstree 1976 a couple of years ago, if you go down that route you'd do well to read there trials and tribulations of getting from the start to the end point!

Thanks for that I will look into it, it would be great if it was backed by the RL public

How did this turn out? is it available to watch?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Thanks for that I will look into it, it would be great if it was backed by the RL public

With a KickStarter, the thing to do is plan communications for the whole period of the campaign, to keep it in the public eye. Many campaigns get a fair amount at the start from friends/colleagues, but then donations drop off because the person needing the money isn't doing daily updates, social media posts, uploading a video about the fundraising campaign or the film etc etc.

In fact, it's worth doing plenty of groundwork before the official start of the fundraiser. If you can get a few friendly local/national journalists (or players and other RL personalities and anyone with lots of followers on social media) interested and keep them updated, they can give you the occasional mention, which will reach people that you can't. With luck, you might get a film review from them once it is released.

If you just set up a KickStarter and wait, you're unlikely to break your basic limit.

Bonus goodies can also be awarded according to individual amounts donated. So, for instance, up to £25 is just a donation. More than £25 gets the donor's name in the end credits, £50 upwards gets credited and receives a free disc/download of the finished film, and so on as a cumulative thing. Also, tickets to the premiere, a chance to meet the cast/crew, T-Shirts and such like can also be thrown in at various levels of donation. None of these things are hugely costly, but increase the sense of involvement.

I donated to this KickStarter last year, and you can see the bonus goodies on the right hand side when you scroll down.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

How did this turn out? is it available to watch?

It ended up a very complicated process, far more so than they ever imagined!

I'm still waiting on my actual reward, they ended up producing the film, but then getting distributors on board which led to all sorts of complications, so they can only issue rewards in countries where the film has been distributed, so for example in New Zealand they've deliverd everything, in the UK people are still waiting.

However to get around that they did a tour of the UK doing private viewings in places like the cornerhouse in Manchester, they also had one at the Elstree studios, with Q & A sessions at the end.  For those that couldn't get to those they've made the film available via Vimeo for a limited time with password protection, thats how I saw it, and its excellent.

I've backed lots in Kickstarter and the biggest failing is when things go wrong people stop giving updates which just gets peoples backs up.  With Estree 1976, the updates were excellent and communication very good even when the going got tough, plus I think alot of people really wanted it to succeed so there was a lot of goodwill.

Good luck Ian however you go about it, like you say would be great to get people bought into it. 

Have you tapped up League Express for some product placement advertising?!?!?  ;)

With a KickStarter, the thing to do is plan communications for the whole period of the campaign, to keep it in the public eye. Many campaigns get a fair amount at the start from friends/colleagues, but then donations drop off because the person needing the money isn't doing daily updates, social media posts, uploading a video about the fundraising campaign or the film etc etc.

In fact, it's worth doing plenty of groundwork before the official start of the fundraiser. If you can get a few friendly local/national journalists (or players and other RL personalities and anyone with lots of followers on social media) interested and keep them updated, they can give you the occasional mention, which will reach people that you can't. With luck, you might get a film review from them once it is released.

If you just set up a KickStarter and wait, you're unlikely to break your basic limit.

Bonus goodies can also be awarded according to individual amounts donated. So, for instance, up to £25 is just a donation. More than £25 gets the donor's name in the end credits, £50 upwards gets credited and receives a free disc/download of the finished film, and so on as a cumulative thing. Also, tickets to the premiere, a chance to meet the cast/crew, T-Shirts and such like can also be thrown in at various levels of donation. None of these things are hugely costly, but increase the sense of involvement.

I donated to this KickStarter last year, and you can see the bonus goodies on the right hand side when you scroll down.

Thats fantastic thanks so much for this

I'm still waiting on my actual reward, they ended up producing the film, but then getting distributors on board which led to all sorts of complications, so they can only issue rewards in countries where the film has been distributed, so for example in New Zealand they've deliverd everything, in the UK people are still waiting.

However to get around that they did a tour of the UK doing private viewings in places like the cornerhouse in Manchester, they also had one at the Elstree studios, with Q & A sessions at the end.  For those that couldn't get to those they've made the film available via Vimeo for a limited time with password protection, thats how I saw it, and its excellent.

I've backed lots in Kickstarter and the biggest failing is when things go wrong people stop giving updates which just gets peoples backs up.  With Estree 1976, the updates were excellent and communication very good even when the going got tough, plus I think alot of people really wanted it to succeed so there was a lot of goodwill.

Good luck Ian however you go about it, like you say would be great to get people bought into it. 

Have you tapped up League Express for some product placement advertising?!?!?  ;)

Great stuff, I have been in touch with Martyn who has helped put me in touch with people but will call on him again later I hope

I've never done a KickStarter myself, but I bet there's plenty of really good advice around if you look for it.

But rule #1, in my opinion, is don't start the campaign until you've done some serious groundwork, otherwise you're wasting days when money could be coming in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It might be worth getting script coverage then a professional can give you a good idea of what's going right or wrong, the cost is usually around a oner.

There aren't many UK companies that accept spec scripts but I can send you the links if you want?

It might be worth getting script coverage then a professional can give you a good idea of what's going right or wrong, the cost is usually around a oner.

There aren't many UK companies that accept spec scripts but I can send you the links if you want?

Any help would really be great ,this is my first attempt at anything serious , I have had a dozen people read it and the feeback has been very good

Really wish you well. And if things don't go as you hope, it's experience for the next chapter. I worked in the media for years, and got rebuffed time and time again on programming only to see the very ideas I brought to the table come to fruition and success elsewhere.

But that doesn't have to be the same for you. If you REALLY love your project and are prepared to put it above all else you have more than a fighting chance. And good stuff that the RFL are having a shufty, too!!

I really wish you well and i for one will support your kickstarter if thats the way you go.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

the trailer was very well done and made me want to watch it..I'm a bit of a SW saddo

Guys all this stuff is great! , i have a bit of imagination which can be a good or bad thing!

i was thinking about rewards for people involved in the film which could be as follows

Be an extra in the film , either in the Rugby scenes or in the crowd

Invite to the film premier and meet the crew and stars etc

Name on the credits

Any more suggestions most welcome

I honestly want to create an iconic Rugby League film that will be talked about like This sporting life, its a tough act I am sure but I feel I have to dream big.

Serbia and Montenegro offer great opportunities with locations such as Belgrade and the surrounding contryside as well as Porto Montenegro super yatch marina in Montenegro where I intend to shoot around 20% of the film.

Guys all this stuff is great! , i have a bit of imagination which can be a good or bad thing!

i was thinking about rewards for people involved in the film which could be as follows

Be an extra in the film , either in the Rugby scenes or in the crowd

Invite to the film premier and meet the crew and stars etc

Name on the credits

Any more suggestions most welcome

I honestly want to create an iconic Rugby League film that will be talked about like This sporting life, its a tough act I am sure but I feel I have to dream big.

Serbia and Montenegro offer great opportunities with locations such as Belgrade and the surrounding contryside as well as Porto Montenegro super yatch marina in Montenegro where I intend to shoot around 20% of the film.

Just remember, that film's director had had 15 years of directorial experience by that point, despite it being his first feature film.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The rewards thing is what my cousin did, he offered differing levels of reward depending on how much money people put in. From early access to DVD`s, to merchandise, to opening night tickets etc. It worked very well and was interesting to follow. The film is pretty good too, very impressive for a load of young lads fresh from Uni.

The only thing that concerns be is that it's going to be based on Serbian Rugby League AND it's going to be a comedy?

How will that work?  I hope it won't be poking fun at them, like these two idiots did to the Russians: 

I think a documentary would be great.  But not a comedy.

Its a roadtrip comedy about 2 english Ru players who end up in Belgrade and they end up playing RL to pay there way home, needless to say they fall in love with RL and the Balkans.

It does however poke fun at RU, RL, north and south of England as well as the people of the Balkans but dont worry everyone is a winner in the end!

The only thing that concerns be is that it's going to be based on Serbian Rugby League AND it's going to be a comedy?

How will that work?  I hope it won't be poking fun at them, like these two idiots did to the Russians: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0wg9bh65OQ&feature=youtu.be

I think a documentary would be great.  But not a comedy.

Dont worry its nothing like that

Archived