barla national cup 14s 16s & 18s

lippy

• 1 month later...

Looking at BARLA's website the games are played next week although a  couple were played this weekend.

One observation is the amount of teams that have entered  at Under 18's and if that isn't an indication to the damage the pro game does to our youth game then nothing is

8 teams one Yorkshire and the rest Lancashire, nothing from Hull, sad times

29-01-2017 11:30
Leigh East - Ince Rose Bridge
Wigan St Pats - West Bank Bears
Dewsbury Celtic - Blackbrook
Waterhead - Orrall St James

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi, I agree it's extremely sad to see the reduction in teams in these comps. I think St Pats 18's were turned down by 2 clubs and straight through to the semis which can't be right on any measure. 

I don't necessarily see it as an indictment of the numbers of teams out there, although it's clear they vary from region to region, rather than BARLA itself.

The reduction in teams entering in the youth comps are matched in the senior game and probably speaks volumes about a general lack of expectation/trust in BARLA as well as issues with the timing of the competition in comparison to the league seasons.

There's nothing to stop the games being moved to a March start and perhaps May/June final. It appears however that arrrangenents remain broadly what they are, and are more suited to East of Pennine clubs who don't bother to enter!

i agree the community game needs a loud and coherent voice. Sadly that doesn't seem to be BARLA anymore.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, Wilber said:

Looking at BARLA's website the games are played next week although a  couple were played this weekend.

One observation is the amount of teams that have entered  at Under 18's and if that isn't an indication to the damage the pro game does to our youth game then nothing is

8 teams one Yorkshire and the rest Lancashire, nothing from Hull, sad times

29-01-2017 11:30
Leigh East - Ince Rose Bridge
Wigan St Pats - West Bank Bears
Dewsbury Celtic - Blackbrook
Waterhead - Orrall St James

First round draw, teams from Hull were in the cup and are still in it, you was looking at the prel round to get the teams down to the last 16. there is a drop in entry for u18`s from 26 last year to 20 this year but Cumbria do not run an u18`s league,  U16`s was the same and u14`s have 2 more this year.

Under 18`s First Round

Leigh East  v  Ince Rose Bridge                                                                                                                             

Waterhead  v  Orrall St James

Dewsbury Celtic v  Blackbrook

Wigan St Pats v West Bank Bears

BYES:- Crosfields, Halton Farnworth, Leigh Miners, Lock Lane, Oulton, Rylands, Skirlaugh, Stanningley, Thatto Heath, West Hull, Wibsey Warriors, Wigan St Judes.

Under 18`s Quarter Final

West Hull  v  Blackbrook

Lock Lane  v  Skirlaugh

Wigan St Judes  v  Waterhead or Leigh Miners

Wibsey Warriors  v  Thatto Heath

Cheers for that, it didn't show the bye's on the website at the time.

Still 20 is a poor indication of the decline of the Under 18's comp. First year I was involved with an under 18's team there were 52 teams entered, a few years ago mind you. I think the year we won at under 14's there was over 50 teams also.

Good luck all

Archived