Dec 27th ARL in York

For anyone wanting a rugby league 'fix' between Christmas and New Year:

On Tuesday, December 27th (1.30pm kick-off), Clifton Park, the York RUFC ground, hosts a York amateur rugby league Origin-style match. East York play West York in a charity fixture in memory of Stuart Evans, the former player, referee and administrator who died recently, aged 68, after a short illness. The Heworth and New Earswick clubs will contribute players to the East team, York Acorn and York Lokomotive to the West side. Each is likely to have a 20-player squad. Admission will be £5 for adults, £2 for under-16s and free for under-fives. Money raised will go to charities chosen by the Evans family. For more, contact York Acorn head coach Leigh Paul-Rientoul on 07854 378293.

I'll not be there, I'm booked in to go round Doncaster with about 30 ex-Gunners on the ale, we do it every year, I was just asking to prompt the idea as we are going to be doing an event at the end of this season for a player who is now 56 and started playing open-age at 14 with Hatfield Wasps.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Just back from this. West York pipped East York 22-20. West led 18-4 at half-time. Crucially, East missed two kickable conversions. A crowd of about 600. Some excellent rugby league action. Eight tries shared. Be great if this became an annual event. Credit to York RUFC for allowing use of their facilities. Programme (£2) was an eight-pager.

Aren't there any RL facilities they can use in York?

It was decided to play it at a neutral venue, away from the four clubs grounds. And as Knights don't currently have a ground York RUFC was the best possible venue. We where made very welcome and well looked after, they've done a fair bit for RL over recent years.

In saying that it would of been nice for an RL club to get all those bar takings. Perhaps if the concept carries on in the future maybe alternate it between the clubs.

In saying that it would of been nice for an RL club to get all those bar takings. Perhaps if the concept carries on in the future maybe alternate it between the clubs.

Heworth's ground, one of the best amateur RL set-ups in the country, seems the obvious place to play this game if it becomes an annual event. That said, the York RU ground and its pitch at Clifton Park were in tip-top condition on the 27th. Just seems a shame revenue such as bar takings - which must have been considerable (when did York RU last get a crowd of circa 600?) - isn't going back into RL. I was surprised how competitive State of Yorigin turned out to be. I imagine this being York Acorn's off season evened things up a bit.

Heworth's ground, one of the best amateur RL set-ups in the country, seems the obvious place to play this game if it becomes an annual event. That said, the York RU ground and its pitch at Clifton Park were in tip-top condition on the 27th. Just seems a shame revenue such as bar takings - which must have been considerable (when did York RU last get a crowd of circa 600?) - isn't going back into RL. I was surprised how competitive State of Yorigin turned out to be. I imagine this being York Acorn's off season evened things up a bit.

That's what I was getting at really, as good as York RU's facilities are, we should be putting money back into our game

Archived