YML 2017

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the perspective of someone who watches Outlaws fairly regularly this seems good news. Having a longer season without repeat fixtures should create more interest and I imagine the players will appreciate the shorter travel times.

1 minute ago, bobdeegan said:

From the perspective of someone who watches Outlaws fairly regularly this seems good news. Having a longer season without repeat fixtures should create more interest and I imagine the players will appreciate the shorter travel times.

Anything that helps rugby in a non-heartland city can only be good news for the game.

Standard wise do you think theyll be well suited? would hate for them to look out of place

1 minute ago, Luckyno7 said:

Anything that helps rugby in a non-heartland city can only be good news for the game.

Standard wise do you think theyll be well suited? would hate for them to look out of place

Hard to say but Coventry did OK when they moved into the Conference. I think the fact that the city of Nottingham has a large pool of players both already at Outlaws and at the universities should stand them in good stead.

19 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

should hopefully be a tough league hopefully..

outlaws unknown north hull played fryston a few times will speak to a few of them lads

shame mirfield have dropped down a division after mouthing off all last year

Expect bentley and batley to be strong coming up and carrying on that winning momentum.

From what ive seen the two to beat will be toll bar and beverley depending on recruitment & retention.

Glad people have taken heed of Spurrie about not sharing this :sleep:.

Anyway these are draft leagues and likely to change about a lot, for me they are way off the mark especially in the lower divisions.

It will be good when we can have proper P&R once the leagues are settled, at least at the top end; Then you should all be in with teams of a similar ability. A while off yet though.

Glad Nottingham are in, they should be a good addition to the league and I like sensible expansion 

I think it's a sign of how well the league is recruiting winter teams that several clubs from last season's division 2 are now in division 4

5 hours ago, bowes said:

Glad Nottingham are in, they should be a good addition to the league and I like sensible expansion 

I think it's a sign of how well the league is recruiting winter teams that several clubs from last season's division 2 are now in division 4

You have to realise that amateur teams can change in playing standard season by season and at the moment neither summer or winter is stable.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Just now, Marauder said:

You have to realise that amateur teams can change in playing standard season by season and at the moment neither summer or winter is stable.

I agree, though the Yorkshire Men's League is now much bigger than the Pennine and Hull leagues collapsed. I'd like to see more of the lower summer divisions expand from 8 to 10 teams

21 hours ago, bowes said:

I agree, though the Yorkshire Men's League is now much bigger than the Pennine and Hull leagues collapsed. I'd like to see more of the lower summer divisions expand from 8 to 10 teams

On paper, I was looking on the YML website and many of the teams that's being claimed have folded or play 12 months a year, I was also having a little think today, how many teams that dipped their toes in the summer season 10, 11 or 12 years ago are still about ?

Then lets make a list of teams who could field two open-aged teams when they played in the winter but are now actually struggling to fill a team sheet in the summer, the problem we've got now is the policy makers have made it difficult to go back to the winter unless it's to the Pennine and a lot of people have fallen out with their management (Inclusive)

All BARLA require is someone with man management skills, vision and the two things in a sack

51 minutes ago, Marauder said:

On paper, I was looking on the YML website and many of the teams that's being claimed have folded or play 12 months a year, I was also having a little think today, how many teams that dipped their toes in the summer season 10, 11 or 12 years ago are still about ?

Then lets make a list of teams who could field two open-aged teams when they played in the winter but are now actually struggling to fill a team sheet in the summer, the problem we've got now is the policy makers have made it difficult to go back to the winter unless it's to the Pennine and a lot of people have fallen out with their management (Inclusive)

All BARLA require is someone with man management skills, vision and the two things in a sack

Keep beating that nostalgic drum, with any luck you'll bring the mines back too

Winter rugby is dead in the water its been poorly run for too long and now cant be brought back!

lads dont want to be training and playing in freezing muddy conditions when they can train and play in sunshine(somtimes) get showered and put shorts on after.

I think aswell youve got to realise times have changed lads work shifts alot of the time saturday is included in some lads working weeks now. Years ago lads worked at pit or mon-fri and everyone looked forward to sport on a weekend its not that era anymore and it wont go back to that.

Teams ride the crest and have a few years of success maybe run 2 teams but then them teams will have hard times aswell where they struggle to get 13 lads on the field that is playing either winter or summer.

The current yorkshire league is the number one comp at the min and people want to play init wether you prefer winter or hate the rfl with a passion weve got to accept times have changed and move on! 

On 1/20/2017 at 8:58 PM, Marauder said:

Ok my personal point of view is RL below professional level should be winter and also armature sport in general is on its backside as decline in local football is on a par with our game decline in teams.

But am I mistaken in  thinking you used to sing the praises of Summer rugby on here, Ok my memory might be incorrect but did you not used to post stuff about great playing numbers, local football players playing for you etc?

8 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

Winter rugby is dead in the water its been poorly run for too long and now cant be brought back!

lads dont want to be training and playing in freezing muddy conditions when they can train and play in sunshine(somtimes) get showered and put shorts on after.

I think aswell youve got to realise times have changed lads work shifts alot of the time saturday is included in some lads working weeks now. Years ago lads worked at pit or mon-fri and everyone looked forward to sport on a weekend its not that era anymore and it wont go back to that.

Teams ride the crest and have a few years of success maybe run 2 teams but then them teams will have hard times aswell where they struggle to get 13 lads on the field that is playing either winter or summer.

The current yorkshire league is the number one comp at the min and people want to play init wether you prefer winter or hate the rfl with a passion weve got to accept times have changed and move on! 

I have to agree Winter Rugby has probably had its day, but??

The new generation of Summer Rugby (Its nothing new) was meant to

• Increase participation
  • increase crowds and revenue
  • new clubs, increase these outside the heartlands including all the players who wanted to give RL a go from all the dinosaur winter sports
  • increase standards with better training

Sorry but transferring all the teams from winter to summer was not the plan, to keep most of the teams playing winter and introducing a summer league would have meant an increase in  participation, we have the same players playing all year round, with the winter game imploding. People getting excited about Nottingham joining the YML, i understand why but if the game was going forward should they not be playing in a Midlands RL league. My NCL club started training 2nd week in December had a friendly today, January and have a challenge cup game next week, I also wish summer started in January! IMO the standard of RL has never been so poor from SL to Youth we have less players enjoying our game as we have had for 30+ years, this means less players available for the professional game. For all the keyboard warriors who wanted Summer to succeed well done but unfortunately the game is at a 30 year low and both BARLA and the RL did not expand on all the players who played the game whether pub team or serious club in the 80's, we may now have a thriving summer game in some peoples opinion but please look at the completion of fixtures, look at one weeks fixtures and then the next weeks results, we have bonds in most leagues, and realistically should we have lots of teams teams travelling with anything less than 17 players in our premier league (NCL) overall the game is on a serious decline nobody seems to answer this they just bleat look at all the teams playing summer at the expense of the winter game, sorry but please correct me if we had a strong winter game and strong summer game meaning more players and possibly extra revenue coming into RL, out side the heartlands in the majority of cases we have RL creating extra revenue in Rugby Union clubs was that really meant to happen?

I played all my rugby in the winter from junior to open age and enjoyed every minute.

But towards the end it was getting worse there was lots of cry offs. I remember when only 1 team in a full division travelled away to play a certain team and the same happened the following season to a different team so the completion of fixtures has been on the decline for years.its a joke now looking at pennine completion rate week in week out 

i agree summer was about expansion and gaining new teams but if going to summer means keeping existing teams going rather than losing them all together then so be it.

the teams will go for what season suits them best for some its winter some its summer it doesnt mean one is right and one is wrong! 

The ncl went to summer so if the regional leagues stayed winter then there would be an influx of players in winter from there and they would be playing all year round like some currently are.

look at the amount of teams dropping out of winter for various reasons surely its better for them to go summer if they so wish rather than just fold.

When summer first started you had long established winter clubs abusing it by entering claiming to be blooding youth or new players but they was after glory and enjoyed being the big fish in a little pond and getting abit of success. At least now its more of a level playing field teams can get competitive season.

13 hours ago, topcentre21 said:

And now this topic has turned into a winter summer debate like every other topic.

I agree with most of the things you say but as normal we have the throw away comments "Its another winter/summer debate" so will not answer the points I raise, but its actually bigger than that.

The main point of the change was  to increase participation so the game carried on getting funding, to sell this to the masses the slogan was it would increase revenue, standards, less postponements "You will have that many players you won't know what to do with them" etc I was at the meetings and I watched the video (No longer on the RFL website I may add)

There was a certain amount of pressure that went on with clubs and leagues but the decision was made, BUT this is the question I keep asking, we have had a further 2 lots of reduced funding from Sports England since the switch, with redundancies at the RFL again as funding is reduced due to a decline in participation, I admit the game was on the decline and will never get back to the mass ranks of players we had in the 70/80's but why was this never capitalised on, I spoke to someone recently who was at the first BARLA/RFL meeting and there was animosity from day one, the RFL were jealous of these amateurs playing RL, it will never last, unfortunately it hasn't.

I ask 

• Why has participation carried on reducing? Its a life style thing some people say, well RU still seems to keep bouncing along with similar numbers year on year, football is down but other sports have shown an increase, don't forget when we loose 10-20,000 players its 20-30% of our whole playing roster
  • There are actually less teams in the NW playing in the summer than in the winter and their whole game changed on mass.
  • In reality there are less teams playing outside the heartlands, if summer was so good why has this not taken off as they have only played summer for as long as I can remember.
  • The RFL introduced Merit leagues which appeared a good idea, teams, clubs and players can dip their toe into RL and have a go, only commit to 6-8 game during the RU off season, well 2016 compared to 2015 showed a massive decline, I spoke to someone yesterday who wants to run a merit team for his club but does not think he can keep the players interested possibly playing 1 game a month, then having this cancelled on the night before.
  • There are postponements for other reasons with games still being called off, teams not travelling or travelling short sorry should we not have an abundance of players if we believed the hype. The pinnacle of the amateur game the NCL a large percentage of teams travelling short, some with no "A" team or Under 18 which is required to be a member, unfortunately teams still pulling out. 
  • Well established clubs with links to the RFL and the professional clubs struggling to put out "A" teams and under 18, "The strong will survive" (David Gent) does this mean we have too many clubs should there only be 2 NCL leagues, less clubs this would enable us to pool the players, sorry this does not happen
  • Most clubs saying their clubhouses are empty with takings down, 1 local well known club near me put a football pitch on their ground to keep revenue coming into the club.
  • Training will be better, my local NCL club came back for pre-season in December and has had to find training for 4 months at the beginning of the season and 2 at the end having to pay for 4G with lights, cross fit and boxing gyms so no saving there.

There is no comment from BARLA and the RFL saying everything is rosy, is it?? Do we just keep our head in the sand whilst our game carries on declining. Plan A was not working (The traditional season) Plan B does not appear to have solved the issues the game had (4 seasons RL)

Is there a Plan C?

15 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I have to agree Winter Rugby has probably had its day, but??

The new generation of Summer Rugby (Its nothing new) was meant to

• Increase participation
  • increase crowds and revenue
  • new clubs, increase these outside the heartlands including all the players who wanted to give RL a go from all the dinosaur winter sports
  • increase standards with better training

Sorry but transferring all the teams from winter to summer was not the plan, to keep most of the teams playing winter and introducing a summer league would have meant an increase in  participation, we have the same players playing all year round, with the winter game imploding. People getting excited about Nottingham joining the YML, i understand why but if the game was going forward should they not be playing in a Midlands RL league. My NCL club started training 2nd week in December had a friendly today, January and have a challenge cup game next week, I also wish summer started in January! IMO the standard of RL has never been so poor from SL to Youth we have less players enjoying our game as we have had for 30+ years, this means less players available for the professional game. For all the keyboard warriors who wanted Summer to succeed well done but unfortunately the game is at a 30 year low and both BARLA and the RL did not expand on all the players who played the game whether pub team or serious club in the 80's, we may now have a thriving summer game in some peoples opinion but please look at the completion of fixtures, look at one weeks fixtures and then the next weeks results, we have bonds in most leagues, and realistically should we have lots of teams teams travelling with anything less than 17 players in our premier league (NCL) overall the game is on a serious decline nobody seems to answer this they just bleat look at all the teams playing summer at the expense of the winter game, sorry but please correct me if we had a strong winter game and strong summer game meaning more players and possibly extra revenue coming into RL, out side the heartlands in the majority of cases we have RL creating extra revenue in Rugby Union clubs was that really meant to happen?

Nottingham's A team play in the Midlands division.

2 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I agree with most of the things you say but as normal we have the throw away comments "Its another winter/summer debate" so will not answer the points I raise, but its actually bigger than that.

The main point of the change was  to increase participation so the game carried on getting funding, to sell this to the masses the slogan was it would increase revenue, standards, less postponements "You will have that many players you won't know what to do with them" etc I was at the meetings and I watched the video (No longer on the RFL website I may add)

There was a certain amount of pressure that went on with clubs and leagues but the decision was made, BUT this is the question I keep asking, we have had a further 2 lots of reduced funding from Sports England since the switch, with redundancies at the RFL again as funding is reduced due to a decline in participation, I admit the game was on the decline and will never get back to the mass ranks of players we had in the 70/80's but why was this never capitalised on, I spoke to someone recently who was at the first BARLA/RFL meeting and there was animosity from day one, the RFL were jealous of these amateurs playing RL, it will never last, unfortunately it hasn't.

I ask 

• Why has participation carried on reducing? Its a life style thing some people say, well RU still seems to keep bouncing along with similar numbers year on year, football is down but other sports have shown an increase, don't forget when we loose 10-20,000 players its 20-30% of our whole playing roster
  • There are actually less teams in the NW playing in the summer than in the winter and their whole game changed on mass.
  • In reality there are less teams playing outside the heartlands, if summer was so good why has this not taken off as they have only played summer for as long as I can remember.
  • The RFL introduced Merit leagues which appeared a good idea, teams, clubs and players can dip their toe into RL and have a go, only commit to 6-8 game during the RU off season, well 2016 compared to 2015 showed a massive decline, I spoke to someone yesterday who wants to run a merit team for his club but does not think he can keep the players interested possibly playing 1 game a month, then having this cancelled on the night before.
  • There are postponements for other reasons with games still being called off, teams not travelling or travelling short sorry should we not have an abundance of players if we believed the hype. The pinnacle of the amateur game the NCL a large percentage of teams travelling short, some with no "A" team or Under 18 which is required to be a member, unfortunately teams still pulling out. 
  • Well established clubs with links to the RFL and the professional clubs struggling to put out "A" teams and under 18, "The strong will survive" (David Gent) does this mean we have too many clubs should there only be 2 NCL leagues, less clubs this would enable us to pool the players, sorry this does not happen
  • Most clubs saying their clubhouses are empty with takings down, 1 local well known club near me put a football pitch on their ground to keep revenue coming into the club.
  • Training will be better, my local NCL club came back for pre-season in December and has had to find training for 4 months at the beginning of the season and 2 at the end having to pay for 4G with lights, cross fit and boxing gyms so no saving there.

There is no comment from BARLA and the RFL saying everything is rosy, is it?? Do we just keep our head in the sand whilst our game carries on declining. Plan A was not working (The traditional season) Plan B does not appear to have solved the issues the game had (4 seasons RL)

Is there a Plan C?

I dont know the answer to those questions  and i doubt anyone does i can only speak from what i hear and see.

I think the rfl needs a big shake up from the top down! 

I cant speak for ncl clubs either regards clubhouses being full etc what did they do over the summer when they played winter to keep revenue coming in? Maybe they have to come up with ideas to keep income coming in over winter? Football or union ground share isnt a bad idea? i know from the local sides i watch and speak to the prefer summer it works better for them and players prefer it but it wont be better for everyone.

i think we need a clear pathway from juniors to super league get the club development officers back get acadamy or u23s back at pro clubs as a requiement of being a pro club,let local lads aspire to get into there local pro club or better themselves that way the development officer can go to schools get lads intrested get them into local amatuer clubs and pro clubs can keep an eye on them and maybe they could play acadamy/u23 level once thats gone they may well go back to local clubs .

at the moment juniors cant see a pathway into the game at 16/18 theyve either got to be good enough for pro clubs first team or theres no chance theres no development thats down to rfl letting it all slide! 

21 hours ago, Li0nhead said:

Ok my personal point of view is RL below professional level should be winter and also armature sport in general is on its backside as decline in local football is on a par with our game decline in teams.

But am I mistaken in  thinking you used to sing the praises of Summer rugby on here, Ok my memory might be incorrect but did you not used to post stuff about great playing numbers, local football players playing for you etc?

Yes I did say we'd grown in numbers in the first few seasons when it was a short season, I also said that into our 3rd or 4th season we got between 30 and 50 players most training sessions, but also on three occasions could only get 14 players on match day, now the games isn't about numbers training, it's about getting a team on the park come match day.

I believe that the game was in a better position when the amateur game was winter and the RFL ran the RLC in a short season, the numbers of players actually went up on paper (The RFL encouraged teams to sign as many people as possible and many never even laced a pair of boots up on a match day or played the odd game before retiring)

I was told yesterday that we've now got a squad of 34 and players from summer  teams have been in touch for next season (winter) I do agree that at the moment the winter set up looks dysfunctional and not very user friendly.

Archived